Z-MAG prototype "HOT" test

• 8 months later...

I will attempt to contact Alexander. I've realized it's nothing more than a cut-out of the original vepr mag with home-made 5 round extension (like the maxrounds.com extension, but most likely from an existing chopped molot mag).

The magazine release is the same that is sold on shooters-shop ru with the push of the thumb. They even carry the mag clip there. The mag release is available and importable for US customers.

I will attempt to contact Alexander. I've realized it's nothing more than a cut-out of the original vepr mag with home-made 5 round extension (like the maxrounds.com extension, but most likely from an existing chopped molot mag).

The magazine release is the same that is sold on shooters-shop ru with the push of the thumb. They even carry the mag clip there. The mag release is available and importable for US customers.

Could you provide a link to the mag release? I'm having a lot of trouble navigating the site. Do they possibly have a section of stuff that fits the Vepr or Saiga 12?

I took a few pics of one of my V12's since everybody is wanting to see more pics of the MOLOT mag release.

It really does make a big difference. mag drops with ease without removing hand off pistol grip, allowing other hand for mag change outs is pretty freakin nice!.

post-33694-0-87817700-1375938084_thumb.jpg

post-33694-0-95370300-1375938100_thumb.jpg

post-33694-0-29408700-1375938114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeluvsk
  • Like 1

I took a few pics of one of my V12's since everybody is wanting to see more pics of the MOLOT mag release.

It really does make a big difference. mag drops with ease without removing hand off pistol grip, allowing other hand for mag change outs is pretty freakin nice!.

It is not Molot Mag release, it is ONLY one of modification of Thumb Finger mag Release for V12/S12 smile.png

Molot Thumb Finger Mag Release

image.jpg

image.jpg

IZMASH Thumb Finger Mag Release

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Self-made Thumb Finger Mag Releases

image.jpg

image.jpg

As well as some more nice pics of left-handed shooter V12 modification

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 2

Those all seem pretty kludgy to me.

This type of mag release is the fastest available fo Verp-12/Saiga-12, as well as, very comfortable - the main purpose of it is SPORT appliance, were time saving is critical.

IMHO, from all Mag release pictured above, IZMASH is the best looking, in design, on the other they are working practically the same.

The effectiveness of Thumb Finger Release on V12/S12 is proved by Top World IPSC shooters, who use it on their shotguns, as practice show that guys use the best to get the best results on the competitions.

Edited by PapaZorro

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I think my design is cleaner and equally fast. Similar ones are used on other platforms in competition as well, such as .22 silhouette shooting with 10/22.

If some would prefer, this type could easily be made with other materials such as welded or riveted steel, but I think this is the best design for speed simplicity and having it both ambidextrous and out of the way:

gallery_17871_660_420705.jpg

an old picture of it being activated.gallery_17871_660_19949.jpg

This does not stick out to either side and can be activated with a flick of the index or middle finger without breaking grip. Additionally, the thumb of the support hand can optionally catch the tab in the normal location.

It has no articulated or sliding parts and needs no roller bearing. There is nothing sliding to bind, jamb, snag, or bend. Effectively there is only a magazine catch and a spring rather than a magazine catch, spring, sliding rod, rod guides ....

Edited by GunFun

I stand corrected, good to have PAPPA here to explain Russian variants to manufacturers I'd still believing I had I real MOLOT

I really like the fit and finish of the magwell on the saiga 12 with the IZMASH Thumb Finger Mag Release is that a factory part? Not so crude of a design like the magwell on my V12 pictured above.

Edited by Jeluvsk

As far as I know not Molot nor IZMASH sell this part separately from their IPSC shotgun version of V12 and S12.

Molot Thumb Finger Mag release is welded to the V12 receiver, I don't remember how it is fixed on S12, but it could be also none removable, fixed by two rivets.

PappaZ on your blog you have the RAM release. How do you like that one?

I don't have the shotgun for sport yet:( When I'll buy it I want to have similar or original IZMASH construction but installed on V12, I also want to have their Al magwell

Unfortunately the thread is deleted, but another variation on the styles that PZ posted was done rather nicely by Jack Travers on the monte carlo stocked race gun he built for a customer who prefered the unconverted layout. He welded a steel tube as a guide to the side of the receiver somewhat like the one PZ posted just below the Izhmash style.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I think my design is cleaner and equally fast. Similar ones are used on other platforms in competition as well, such as .22 silhouette shooting with 10/22.

If some would prefer, this type could easily be made with other materials such as welded or riveted steel, but I think this is the best design for speed simplicity and having it both ambidextrous and out of the way:

gallery_17871_660_420705.jpg

an old picture of it being activated.gallery_17871_660_19949.jpg

This does not stick out to either side and can be activated with a flick of the index or middle finger without breaking grip. Additionally, the thumb of the support hand can optionally catch the tab in the normal location.

It has no articulated or sliding parts and needs no roller bearing. There is nothing sliding to bind, jamb, snag, or bend. Effectively there is only a magazine catch and a spring rather than a magazine catch, spring, sliding rod, rod guides ....

So its like the RAM catch/release just in a more awkward location?

• Like 1