its time to get my AK Rig squared away! I need a top quality rig and I have been considering either the "Attack Rack" V2 by US Palm or something genuine RUSSIAN military, but the trouble is that I dont know much about the Russian gear. I know thet the Ruskies are using molle gear now which is a big plus, but I cant tell quality from junk on their stuff as ive never seen any of it in person. One good place I found is a sight called "SRVV" that has a lot of stuff in Multicam and Russian SURPAT which i like.

please help me figure this out

-RR

P.S. this has to work for 762, 545 & 223 AK mags. and the site i mentioned above also carries SAIGA 12 8rd open top mag pouches too!!!

Edited by RoughRider666

HSGI Tacos. They even fit S12 and V12 mags. For the Rig itself, I have the HSGI's small chest rig. Its small, lightweight and doesnt take up too much room on my chest and restrict movement.

+1to the Tacos. Put them on any plate carrier or chest rig with MOLLE/PALS webbing.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

My vote goes to the HSGI taco's as well. Pair them with your choice chest rig or plate carrier and you'll be set for damn near any rifle or shotgun magazine made. RIght now I have the TAG rampage plate carrier but would like a lightweight chest rig, it's just low on my list of things I need.

I used to have a Blackhawk Strike rig with Blackhawk mag shingles that could hold either 2 AR mags in each pouch or 1 AK in each. There were three pouches on each shingle. You might be able to find some of them fairly cheap. Never tried them with a S12 mag as that was long before I got my S12.

Tried several different rigs, including the Russian Tarzan M 22 rig which I hated. Currently for a rig I am using the Arktis M173 Noorloos Rig.

DSCN2043.jpg

Most comfortable chest rig I have used. As for a plate carrier I am using the Condor Modular Operator Plate Carrier with level 3 plates and the AK triple mag pouch from 7.62 Tactical: http://762tactical.c...ch-holds-6.html

Can't recommend the 7.62 Tactical stuff enough. The mag pouch has adjustable flaps and will take any size mag, and he will custom make anything you might want. Even had their Kalashnikov Gunfighter chest rig for a while, and it's a real good base rig to start with...wink.png

Edited by Jpanzer

yea kind of a difference between a 'rig' or a 'molle'' vest. A rig is stripped down and does not hold SAPI or ESAPI plates - like Corbin's or Jpanzer's. the rig is more comfortable. The Molle' I use holds 2 - 13"x10" SAPI plates as well as the same gear your 'rig' can hold. If you don't plan on buying armor plates - you buy the rig. I train and shoot 3 gun with a molle' with the SAPI plates inserted, not much of a handicap. Since you upgrade to a rig - now you can remove the drop leg holster and mount the pistol on your chest above the mag pouches.

Check - Opsgear.com

http://www.opsgear.com/

MOLLE Quick Release Plate Carrier

the interior lining is important - it has to be mesh, breathable material, the shoulder straps padded, cummer bund, quick release (ya near water)

Anything that you can fit on a rig - you can fit on a molle'. Nice plus - emergency drag handle on the back so someone can pick ya up and drag ya out of fire.

Then get the proper undershirt - these shirts were made to be worn with molle' vests. Cotton t-shirt center - stronger cotton sleeves, with padded shoulders and pockets -

TRU Combat Shirt

000595-t-r-u-combat-shirt.jpg

Edited by DNR

MOLLE isn't the same as a plate carrier. It stands for Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment. It is the ladder looking webbing on any piece of gear to attach pouches whether it be a ruck or load carrying rig/vest. the term is used in the military when referring to load carrying equipment. PALS is used by some manufacturers referring to that same webbing as Pouch Attachment Ladder System. A plate carrier is a plate carrier. The larger vest used by the troops containing both soft and hard armor is called an Outer Tactical Vest, (OTV). It too contains MOLLE webbing. Sorry for the thread jack, just wanted to clear things up a bit. Also, the only advantage to chest mounting a pistol is if you spend a lot of time seated in a vehicle such as running convoys. There is such a thing as putting too much shit on your rig/plate carrier. Cluttering up that area on your gear with holsters and candy bar pouches is only going to reduce the effectiveness of your reloads for the Primary weapon. In my personal experience running this gear in the Military, I found it best to have ammo only pouches on my front side, pistol in a drop leg on a battle belt adjusted so it rides low enough to clear the plate carrier yet high enough to obtain a firm grip for an effective draw. YMMV

ETA: If you are running a plate carrier with only plates in it and no soft armor behind it, check to see what its stand alone rating is. Most are rated considering you have soft armor backing it.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 2

yea I got to watch the reference I use - "molle'' is just short for "plate carrier, molle webbing". In LE - you can have plate carriers with no webbing on them.

yea SAPI and ESAPI I believe are stand alone - steel plates are not, they need the soft armor to catch the round. Cutting cost by buying cheaper steel plates is off set by having to by soft armor to go with it.

I agree with the clutter on the vest - some guys need to put everything they own on their load bearing vest. It will depend on your tactics and activities, if you are vehicle mounted, you have to consider how you will access and move your weapons inside the vehicle. If you are humping, you want to loadout so you don't die from being overweight. If your tactics are fast, you might want to design your load to avoid snags. I just saw some issues with drop legs snagging on brush - try moving through deep brush or even just crawl through it - it can hang up on you. I guess it will just depend on training each person does with it - with the pistol mounted above my AR mag pouches - the mags clear the pistol, and the pistol is where I can keep brush away from it. Oh, and cut off the excess strap on those drop legs, you wont look so newbie ; )

Edited by DNR