Tight Threads on Flash Hider?

I got a Bonesteel flash hider for my Saiga 12. It looks great, but it doesn't seem to like the threads on the end of the barrel. It won't screw on completely. Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar experience? I don't want to force it and ruin the threads, so I haven't applied much torque. Applying oil hasn't helped.

Sadly common. Odds are that it is because the threads on your gun were cut with a dull die. The Russians sometimes use worn out tooling. You can get a new die off of ebay for $23 that should be good enough to chase the threads. You can get a quality die from dinzag for more. PM me if you want a link to one on ebay.

One of mine was like this, and I used the steel thread protector and some teflon grease and ran it on as far as it would go and off a few times. I cleaned the threads and re lubed in between each try and it gained about 5/16" of usable threads in a few passes. It is still tight, but they are now tolerable. I use teflon tape to keep my FH or choke in place yet still easily removable.

It is possible that the threads were not cut properly on your FH, but that is hard to see from here.

I have made a sort of hillbilly thread chaser before by cutting through the threads lengthwise leaving a flat surface facing clockwise. A triangle file would work well for this, but you will most likely have to contact a fastener company to get a metric nut that size I believe it is 22mm not sure of the pitch. There are thread chaser sets available but the cheap die gun fun mentioned would probably be better in your case.

Chasing threads on a lathe is very difficult and to top it off if you have a lathe with a standard lead screw which is 90% or more of them in the US. You have to leave the half nut engaged retract the tool and reverse the spindle to repostion for another passs for metric threads. If you disengage the half nut you will not be able to pick up the thread again. Like Gun fun said though they have dies on Ebay for about $20 I am sure they would work to chase the threads.

I got a Bonesteel flash hider for my Saiga 12. It looks great, but it doesn't seem to like the threads on the end of the barrel. It won't screw on completely. Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar experience? I don't want to force it and ruin the threads, so I haven't applied much torque. Applying oil hasn't helped.

What year is the weapon?

Let us all know how well the muzle brake works, do you feel a lot of recoil reduction or just a little? Maybe try back to back shots with and without it slugs and cheap bulk ammo. If it makes slugs feel like cheap bulk ammo that would be an improvement. Maybe even try a few 3" magnum slugs for a comparison.

I'm thinking he doe'snt have the new one. Sounds like he has one of the flash hiders. I just got mine yesterday, and ordered it the first day Bonesteel put it out. It looks good. The first part with the gills is a chamber with a larger I.D. than the rest of the unit I will call it, lol. that should force a lot of gas out of the gills reducing recoil. Something the pics can't show well. you hardly notice it on the gun as far as weight IMO. Sucks im not in shape to play with a 12ga right yet. involves neck bones and Ti. plates and screws.

I'm thinking he doe'snt have the new one. Sounds like he has one of the flash hiders. I just got mine yesterday, and ordered it the first day Bonesteel put it out. It looks good. The first part with the gills is a chamber with a larger I.D. than the rest of the unit I will call it, lol. that should force a lot of gas out of the gills reducing recoil. Something the pics can't show well. you hardly notice it on the gun as far as weight IMO. Sucks im not in shape to play with a 12ga right yet. involves neck bones and Ti. plates and screws.

Sad news, but a combination good recoil management, and light ammo can make 12 ga as soft as you could possibly want.

Sad news, but a combination good recoil management, and light ammo can make 12 ga as soft as you could possibly want.

Na, the fix was for the better. Pro active. had nerve artheritis issues.The Wife and I went out Sunday with the 10/22s plinking steel.lol Had a ball. Dueling trees are a blast.