homemade extended mag release (pics inside)

Well I picked up mig welder over the weekend and decided to learn how to weld lol..

This is the first project ive done that has involved welding, i did a few passes on some scrap matel for practice.

20121126_202445.jpg

20121126_225831.jpg

Do yourself a favor and remove the magwell. I battled with the stupid spring for well over an hour. Once i removed the magwell it slid right in

20121126_230555.jpg

I used some old drill bits as pins to keep everything captive so i could install the magwell

20121126_230744.jpg

woohoo almost there!

20121126_231609.jpg

20121126_231554.jpg

Im going to paint it tomorrow, I should have done it while it was off, but i was to impatient

It works great BTW

• Like 2

^^^I'm starting to like it more now as well. At first I wasn't to thrilled about it but the more I mess with it the more i'm liking it. Think i'm gonna try a little rubberized tool dip on the tab to help keep it comfortable when on safe...otherwise it digs in the knuckle a bit. Well for me it does anyway.

Nice work on the extended mag release PZ...looks good. I hear you on the magwell to...definitely easier with it removed. I wasted some time with it myself. I went with the Ram

S12XC and i'm liking it as well, although i'm sure mine cost more than yours lol. I'm making my vepr into more of a comp gun so the faster mag changes are definitely a bonus.

• Like 1

Nice work on the extended mag release PZ...looks good. I hear you on the magwell to...definitely easier with it removed. I wasted some time with it myself. I went with the Ram

S12XC and i'm liking it as well, although i'm sure mine cost more than yours lol. I'm making my vepr into more of a comp gun so the faster mag changes are definitely a bonus.

I Like the RAM, but my fingers cant quite reach it without adjusting my grip. I was able to make this one the exact length that i wanted. Are you still able to get to the MBHO with the RAM?

Edited by presto_z

You did a fine job, and the improvement of function is so obvious it is a marvel to me that they don't just put releases you can reach on all of them from the factory.

Not to trying to steal your thunder, but why does everyone seem to make this style of extended release? They take up more space, particularly if ambidextrous. If you look at my IZ 109 gallery, you will see what I believe to be a cleaner form factor. You might not care for my materials or angles, but I am talking about the general location. Whether welding or riveting , I believe that is how it should be done. The shape and curves can be changed to meet different aesthetic choices. (I suppose, the wing style such as JTE, ram and your design wouldn't need to match the shape of different trigger guards) My style is: ambidextrous, light, not sticking out to catch anything inadvertently, easy to reach without shifting your grip...

Edited by GunFun