MKA 1919 to Do List

Hello, I'm a new member and first time poster to this forum. I have just recently ordered a 'stock' MKA 1919 and was wondering what the must do mods that those familiar with the shotgun would recommend? My gun's primary usage will be recreational shooting / 3-gun style courses (not as full blown competition or race gun though) and a secondary usage as a defensive gun (slug and buck).

I have some factory 10 round mags ordered and will be using a spare set of Troy iron sights and Aimpoint in a LaRue mount.

I must say I do like the concept of Tooth and Nail's sleek forearm, but I'm sold on Firebirds forearm with the charging handle and will order one when they are back in stock.

I'm holding off on hacking the stock off until later as I'd like to see what other options may appear in the future (re: Firebird's new lower).

So what other mods / parts do I need to get started?

What have you heard about a Firebird lower?

Nothing more than there are folks in the industry working on a replacement lower. I think that Jim at Firebird name comes up, because of his work on the MKA. I think we all will have to wait until after the Shot Show to see what materializes and from whom.

Well there are some performance modifications you can do, some that are purely aesthetic/cosmetic, and others for 922r compliance

Since you're obviously going to run high cap mags and you dont have the Firebird converted model, I suggest you replace these following parts first for 922r compliance

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/78652-atf-rules-there-are-14-922r-parts-on-the-akdal/page__hl__+1919%20+922#entry781121

1. Gas piston (several companies make this for about the same price)

2. Firing control group (you can get the best of the best and send your lower to Firebird and have them install their AR-15 FCG, or you can get the hammer, trigger and spring from Carolina Shooter's Supply)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/80350-tromix-fcg-installwith-gallery-pics/page__hl__+1919%20+922#entry804670

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/80389-us-made-hammer-works-with-tromix-trigger-disconnector/page__hl__%2B1919+%2B922

3. Choke

4. Handguard (There are several options to choose from)

Some performance modifications I'd recommend would be to get a gas bushing and a low power recoil spring if you're going to run light loads. Then, maybe have your feed ramp worked on? That's still something I'll have looked at later on my 1919 when I have more money

You can also get a different charging handle. I like Salem 6's charging handle, but I got the Firebird one

I'm not seeing the need for a low power recoil spring, the ones we've tested run just fine with the stock spring after 100-200 rounds.

Usually

Mine has a 75% cycling success rate with the stock spring and gas bushing.

May have been the magazine, I should really test this out using the new factory 10 round mags

• 1 month later...

Now Finished.................

mka1919008edited_zps9176f5a0.jpg

MKA 1919 'XN' model

Specs

Tooth and Nail:

Charger Hand Guard

Drive Block (Had to do quite a bit of hand fitting to get the 'XN' actuation arms to fit)

Salem 6 :

M4 Stock Adapter

Spring

10 round Mag Kit

Firebird:

Big Button Mag Release

Hammer and Spring

Tromix:

Piston

Trigger, Disconnector and Spring

VLTOR:

A5 Mil-spec buffer tube (Shotgun specific model -extra heavy duty with watertight compartment accessible from the rear)

MagPul:

CTR Stock

"Shotgun" Butt-pad

AFG2

Troy:

Fixed HK style Front Sight

Fold-able Battesight Rear

Gear Sector:

Quick Disconnect Rail Sling Attachment

Edited by snwbrdrcr
Now Finished.................

mka1919008edited_zps9176f5a0.jpg

MKA 1919 'XN' model

Specs

Tooth and Nail:

Charger Hand Guard

Drive Block (Had to do quite a bit of hand fitting to get the 'XN' actuation arms to fit)

Salem 6 :

M4 Stock Adapter

Spring

10 round Mag Kit

Firebird:

Big Button Mag Release

Hammer and Spring

Tromix:

Piston

Trigger, Disconnector and Spring

VLTOR:

A5 Mil-spec buffer tube (Shotgun specific model -extra heavy duty with watertight compartment accessible from the rear)

MagPul:

CTR Stock

"Shotgun" Butt-pad

AFG2

Troy:

Fixed HK style Front Sight

Fold-able Battesight Rear

Gear Sector:

Quick Disconnect Rail Sling

Nice build! I have a question for you, you hand guard with the charger handle from Tooth and Nail. What modification was require to get the to fit on XN. I have an XN and i don't feel like waiting for them to come out with one that will fit on an XN. THanks!