OK, I probably should have chosen a different title, knowing I'll probably get some responses I deserve.

Anyway, am I weird in the following specific instance.

On occasion, I buy ammo for weapons I don't currently own. Examples include 20 gauge, 410, 5.45x39, and a few others. I also had quite a stock of 9mm ammo before I eventually bought two firearms to use them.

My reasoning on this practice is a bit cloudy but I tell myself that if there is a shortage for whatever reason, I can sell or barter the stuff to people who do have weapons to use them.

Also, I've seen a few people on the forum in the past state that they wanted as many different caliber firearms as possible. Their theory on that was that if they had to scavenge then it was more likely to find something to fit one of their weapons. Faulty logic, IMHO.

I'm thinking that in any worst case scenario ammo is going to get very scarce far faster than weapons. An Easter egg hunt while carrying numerous empty weapons is a recipe for disaster. Not that I believe in carrying ammo I can't immediately use either. Either situation is untenable to me, but I think the latter a bit more practical.

BTW, yes I know I'm weird but at least I made it through the whole thing without once mentioning SHTF.

timmer

I would swear Ive seen this topic a time or two.

Anyway, with that said.

Buy what you need, not what you "might can trade for things you need". IF shtf and you have something you can trade for something you need more, good, but in the mean time. Just get what you need. A self full of might needs is no good.

Ammo in most any caliber is a good investment as long as you're getting it a good price. IMO, however, you should only buy what you can use, yourself. If there is a shortage or spike in demand, you'll be able to sell/trade whatever you've got regardless of caliber. Your odds of coming across someone only wanting .44 mag or 22-250 is just as good as someone wanting any other random caliber, whether you've stocked it or not.

I try to minimize calibers (.22, .45, 7.62 and 12 guage) so I can spend what little $ I have on ammo that fits. But if you have the money I say go for it, what can it hurt?

I agree. The vast majority of ammo I buy is for calibers I use. Seriously, some of the other stuff was given to me or I've bought a few boxes on really good sales over the years. I don't even know how much oddball stuff I have. I guess I should sort and count it. BTW, I know I have one box of 16 gauge and have no idea where it came from, lol. The last 16 I owned was over 30 years ago and I haven't had it that long.

I would swear Ive seen this topic a time or two.

Anyway, with that said.

Buy what you need, not what you "might can trade for things you need". IF shtf and you have something you can trade for something you need more, good, but in the mean time. Just get what you need. A self full of might needs is no good.

You could be right, but all I remember is a couple of people talking about buying a bunch of different caliber guns.

I'm hoping I'm not turning into a packrat. Time will tell.

It's odd to me but if You have the cash, and what you need, go fit it. I only buy what I have guns for though.

I truly am at least comfortable with my ammo stocks of usable stuff, although I've heard it said you can never have too much.

Ammo in most any caliber is a good investment as long as you're getting it a good price. IMO, however, you should only buy what you can use, yourself. If there is a shortage or spike in demand, you'll be able to sell/trade whatever you've got regardless of caliber. Your odds of coming across someone only wanting .44 mag or 22-250 is just as good as someone wanting any other random caliber, whether you've stocked it or not.

That makes sense. Except I would be a lot more likely to part with ammo I couldn't use anyway.

Well, no not really weird. Maybe just a bit eccentric though. But you know, my brother does the same thing. He has all kinds of weird ammo for guns he does not own.

Your brother sounds like a great guy!

I do have a box of 7.62x38 Nagant ammo that I bought because it looks neat. I know someone with a Nagant revolver though, so I guess I can shoot it through that.

Edited by TacticoolTim

It's funny you mention this. Today me and a few guys on my crew were talking about the same thing. I told them how I used to buy ammo years ago for a rifle or pistol I wanted long before I had the gun in order to shoot for saving up to buy the actual rifle/ pistol that fired the ammo I previously bought. We also had a dicussion about buying a bunch of ammo of various calibers different from the firearms that we own for future barter purposes.

Don't worry, Tim. You're not alone in "weirdodome".

• Like 1

You're not at all alone.

I have ammo for firearms I used to own, for firearms I would like to own, and some stuff that I just picked up at swap meets or gun shows because it was a damned good deal. I have a box or two of 10mm, and nothing to fire it with. Hundreds of rounds of .30-06, much of it collectable, including some WWII-era AP, a few hundred rounds of .45, some .270 win, .44 magnum, .410 - there are probably a few other calibers I've forgotten about.

• Like 1

All of my weapons are in very common calibers. As little as most gun owners train, there will likely be ammo and weapons laying all over the place if things go bad. I am highly likely to stumble up on something that I can use.

I am starting to view the shotgun as the ultimate close range "hard times" weapon. Used hulls, primer, powder, improvised wadding/cup, misc. junk.... and you are in business. You can fit a lot of odd stuff in a 12 ga hull. Most rifled weapons need a very specific diameter projectile in order to function properly.

I think it makes more sense to just buy ammo for guns you own. If I were in a scenario where ammo was so scarce that people were having to barter for it instead of getting it through normal channels then I would want to keep ALL of my own stockpile, and of course I would want all of it to run in my own guns. I would take the money you are spending on the ammo you can't use and spend it on more of the things you think you would be trying to barter for.

If you aren't a reloader, I would suggest spending the extra money on reloading equipment.

I have a plethora of range brass that I have picked up over the years in many calibers I don't own. In a pinch, I can reload those odd calibers that have the same bullet diameters as my existing inventory - i.e. 300 Savage can be reloaded with my .308 and 30-06 bullets or 22-250 can be reloaded with my bullets for the .223 and can also be resized to make .308, .260, .243, 7mm-08 etc.

If you "collect" rounds, then that can be a hobby in itself and is not weird.

Lastly any excess collections you inherit from friends or family can be broken down to components with proper reloading equipment and then re-made into other calibers you need if the SHTF.

• Like 1

If I had money, I'd be stockpiling 5.45 while it is cheap. I don't own anything in that calibre, although I would like to. I figure either way this can only go up in value.

I wish I had bought about $500 worth of 9mm in 2004 or so. (not counting the ammo I bought and shot then.) It is almost 4 times as expensive now. I was getting silver bear JHP that ran and shot well for ~5cents each shipped. I can't find LRN ammo now for twice that.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with being weird if it doesn't hurt anyone. Spend your money on whatever bullets you like...with or without firearm.

I read something about Hornady Zombie ammo being such a successful ad campaign that people who didn't own a firearm were buying it.

• Like 2

Not weird at all.

Or I'm just trying to make myself feel better for doing the same thing. If I see ammo of any sort selling for less than I think it's worth I tend to buy as much as I can afford. If I was low in any that I did use I would do things differently

• Like 1

I do the same thing Tim. Im a weirdo too. big_smile.gif I have ammo for guns I no longer have, but I wont get rid of it, but rather trade or barter with it. When the Country goes to shit, ammo will likely be worth more than cash in many regards. And Im with Gunfun in the 5.45 department. I stock the surplus, and shoot the expensive shit. lol.

• Like 1

I did it again. I won a auction for 100 rounds of 7.62x45. I forgot I even bid on it. It was one of those... " I fuck'n won it?" moments.

Do I need it... NO, I'm sitting pretty on a few K stock pile of that and 100 rounds in nothing really, but a low bid for the giggles of it didn't hurt. For ammo going for a dollar a round, I scored it for 36 cents after adding the shipping. I can't remember the last time I shot any of the 6 VZ52's I own, but I have more ammo for them.

• Like 2

Hmmmmmmmmm, buying ammo? Weird? I mean if ya said you were wearing drag and walking the streets in high heels, then I'd say you were weird. Buying ammo even if you don't need it I wouldn't say is weird, but opinions could vary beer.gif

Hey! This discussion isn't about any of my other hobbies, OK?

JK. I figure as ugly a guy as I am, if I dressed up like a gal I wouldn't need bullets to kill anyone. Hmmm.... there's a thought.

in my experiences, i have ALWAYS bought ammo for a gun i want to get. once i decide on something, i stay set to it. And its always nice to have ammo at the ready the moment you get the gun

You're forcing me out of the closet here. Uh, no, not regarding my previous comments. As mentioned, I bought lots of 9mm without owning a platform but knew I would eventually. Double force! Out of the closet again! I have 120 rounds of 6.5 Grendel and no AK to shoot it through. Sorry guys, but I'm going to build an AR so it won't go to waste. Izhmash had it's chance.

Hell no. I buy mags, parts and ammo for rifles I dont currently own. A deal is a deal, and the bartering system does work.

But then again I also have this tattooed on my arm;

newtat.jpg

I like your attitude and your tattoo.

I think it makes more sense to just buy ammo for guns you own. If I were in a scenario where ammo was so scarce that people were having to barter for it instead of getting it through normal channels then I would want to keep ALL of my own stockpile, and of course I would want all of it to run in my own guns. I would take the money you are spending on the ammo you can't use and spend it on more of the things you think you would be trying to barter for.

Thoughtful comments. I agree to a degree in the sense where I stated it would be easier to trade ammo I couldn't use. It would be very tough to sell/trade any I could use, knowing I couldn't easily replace it. I'm going to buy a few cases of toilet paper tomorrow. Just in case TSHTF.

• Like 1

If you aren't a reloader, I would suggest spending the extra money on reloading equipment.

I have a plethora of range brass that I have picked up over the years in many calibers I don't own. In a pinch, I can reload those odd calibers that have the same bullet diameters as my existing inventory - i.e. 300 Savage can be reloaded with my .308 and 30-06 bullets or 22-250 can be reloaded with my bullets for the .223 and can also be resized to make .308, .260, .243, 7mm-08 etc.

If you "collect" rounds, then that can be a hobby in itself and is not weird.

Lastly any excess collections you inherit from friends or family can be broken down to components with proper reloading equipment and then re-made into other calibers you need if the SHTF.

Excellent suggestions. I do indeed reload, though I've just started. I have a Lee single and two Lee progressives. Ample supplies of 223 and 40 S&W. Adequate supplies of 308 and 9mm. Same as you, I have a varied selection of range brass too. I figure if I can't use it, someone else can.

I do collect (at least) one of everything I've shot, but I have 3 50 caliber rounds and have never shot one. I need to address that.

If I had money, I'd be stockpiling 5.45 while it is cheap. I don't own anything in that calibre, although I would like to. I figure either way this can only go up in value.

I wish I had bought about $500 worth of 9mm in 2004 or so. (not counting the ammo I bought and shot then.) It is almost 4 times as expensive now. I was getting silver bear JHP that ran and shot well for ~5cents each shipped. I can't find LRN ammo now for twice that.

Thanks a lot! Looks like I'll be buying some 5.45 next.

Not weird at all.

Or I'm just trying to make myself feel better for doing the same thing. If I see ammo of any sort selling for less than I think it's worth I tend to buy as much as I can afford. If I was low in any that I did use I would do things differently

Agreed. That's pretty much what I do. Sometimes stores want to dump stuff that doesn't move fast enough and you can get great bargains. Wish I had bought a bunch of 10 gauge when the local Wal-Mart closed it out. Or maybe it's best I didn't. I don't think I've ever seen a 10 gauge shotgun.

I do the same thing Tim. Im a weirdo too. big_smile.gif I have ammo for guns I no longer have, but I wont get rid of it, but rather trade or barter with it. When the Country goes to shit, ammo will likely be worth more than cash in many regards. And Im with Gunfun in the 5.45 department. I stock the surplus, and shoot the expensive shit. lol.

Yeah, thanks to him I'll be keeping an eye out for 5.45 now. A couple of wraps of electrical tape and it'll fit a 223, right?

Makes sense to me if you have the funds. I'm an alchemist I can make copper and lead turn into gold if the need arises.

Very well put.

• Like 1

You could be right, but all I remember is a couple of people talking about buying a bunch of different caliber guns.

I was just having a bit of dejavu last night. Was trying to think of where Ive read it before. I didnt mean anything by it.

No offense taken whatsoever. There have been more threads than I can keep up with and I may have just missed it.

It's all good.