I've used Winchester low-recoil slugs in my Saiga 030 (same gas system as the VEPR) and they work 95% of the time. I've had 2 stovepipes out of around 75 rounds total. They eject very soft, maybe 2 feet at 2-3 o'clock.. Federal Wal-Mart birdshot ejects harder (4-5 feet at 2 o'clock) than the Winchester slugs.

I bought an 80 rd can of Fiocchi slugs not realizing (my fault) they were low recoil. Talk about a jam-o-matic experience. I was at a range that allows slugs only and it was my first time shooting my V12. I had to clear FTE's for all of my first 20 rds. After that it got less and less but even on my last mag (75-80 rds) I still had a jam. Brought Remington 3" magnums as well and had zero malfunctions with them. Will my V12 break in and be more reliable with low recoil stuff eventually or should I steer clear?

I put another 145 shells through mine today, and of them, 25 where full power buckshot and slugs. One mag I loaded with 4 3" 000 Buck and one 2 3/4 8 shot buck and the 2 3/4 shell was last in the mag and it failed to feed. The hull jammed into the barrel and was hung. Not sure if it was the 3" magnums prior to that that made it hang up, or just that the shell hull was cycled previously and mildly chopped with damaged already before putting it into the Vepr. That was the only hangup today though. Mine appears to be eating anything I put through it.

I bought an 80 rd can of Fiocchi slugs not realizing (my fault) they were low recoil. Talk about a jam-o-matic experience. I was at a range that allows slugs only and it was my first time shooting my V12. I had to clear FTE's for all of my first 20 rds. After that it got less and less but even on my last mag (75-80 rds) I still had a jam. Brought Remington 3" magnums as well and had zero malfunctions with them. Will my V12 break in and be more reliable with low recoil stuff eventually or should I steer clear?

It should get better. It can hurt to try it, and it certainly cant get any worse. I know a few guys that have trouble cycling low recoild shells through their semi auto Mossbergs and 1 Remmy 1187. Seems to be hit or miss with the loads they are using. Some do and some dont.

Edited by Captain Hero