Some may or may not know I'm a tattoo artist. Yesterday I got personal confirmation that I'm working in the right direction. I sent in a few pictures of my work to a relatively new Tattoo magazine, needless to say they got accepted. I have a few issues on their way to my house... very cool!

On top of that, we also had a local TV crew come in for a series they're doing on showing some of the local businesses... no news yet on when that'll be showing, but more details and pictures to follow 027.gif

• Like 6

Good going!! Just be carefull what you submit. Magazines are a double edged sword. On one hand it is good exposure, but the downside is too big to me. Most any work that you are most proud of is likely to be an original design and drawing for a specific client. Having a tattoo that nobody else has is very important to a lot of folks. As soon as that magazine hits the stand, kids all over the place are possibly taking that picture of your tattoo, to some shop in their town and saying "I want this tattoo." Lots of tattooists will happily oblige. A bad economy quickly erodes some artists sense of propriety. Then, a year later, your client is in a bar in Austin TX and somone sits down next to him with "His" tattoo. That really sucks.

Now the client is pissed and maybe thinks you just copied the design.

Exposure is great but make sure to get the clients permission to submit the photos. Remember, You did the work, but it is their tattoo.

That said, I never send photos of my tattoos to magazines. I hate that we even have to post them on the web for an online portfolio, but these days it seems unavoidable.

You need to get your stuff seen, but at a risk of folks stealing your designs.

Great to see you moving on up, Bro!! Ink ON!!

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

Unfortunately copyrights don't mean anyting to a great many tattooists. Ethics are becoming more rare in this business. The business is getting flooded by folks who have not gone through a proper apprenticeship. Which should last at least a year and a half, and teach respect for the business and the client.

Sadly, TV and the internet have made a lot of schmucks think they can "Buy a gun" and be a tattoo artist.........yeah........just like buying a hammer means you are now a carpenter and can build a house.

I know XdamagedX is a good hard working artist who does well at becoming better all of the time and is diong this for a real career. Our reputations are hard to build and easy to tear down.

• Like 1

Rob is dead on on this. A copyright is only as good as your willingness to enforce it. And that can get very expensive (lawyers).

It used to be that you could count on integrity but the internet changed all that.

Congrats to XDX. It is always good to see an artists work recognized.

• Like 1

Cool deal man. One thing though, if anyone else gets a tattoo of the ones you submitted, then they are all clones of YOUR work. Not what some douchebag decides to take into a shop and have it tattooed. Anyone can do that. Its high praise non the less. Good shit brother! I need more tats done as well. Havent had one in a year or two.

• Like 1

Do you have a website? Or at least an online album we can look at. I have three tattoos I have been considering for my first and you aren't a terrible distance away. I would rather give you the money if you are talented as you say.

The reason I haven't gotten one yet is I am terrified I won't be to my standards and it's on me for life.

I'm better than some, not as good as others and I remember that very easily. No bragging here, that shit annoys me. It hasn't been updated in a bit, but our company website is americanpridetattoos.com, I work in Oxford, and I'm the handsome guy, second listed, with the mohawk. There's a link to an online portfolio from there. Feel free to add me if you do the fbook thing too.

As horrible as it sounds, I do really wish that one is required to have a license to purchase tattoo equipment (ink, needles, tubes, machines etc) and required to have a specific license to sell such items. Unethical backhanded "artist" scratching out gobble-dee-gook on people in their kitchen and basements is just getting too far out of hand with these new TV shows glamourizing the industry.

Congrats on the new exposure, asa artists, it always feelsa good to get recognition from all the countless hours busting your ass to be better.

• Like 2

As horrible as it sounds, I do really wish that one is required to have a license to purchase tattoo equipment (ink, needles, tubes, machines etc) and required to have a specific license to sell such items. Unethical backhanded "artist" scratching out gobble-dee-gook on people in their kitchen and basements is just getting too far out of hand with these new TV shows glamourizing the industry.

Agree 100%

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...