I had read, or was told that if you paint your rifle barrell and reciever, that you can safely bake the parts in your oven to set the paint. I am using Rustoleum Camouflage black, which gives the parts a nice dull black finish. I plan on putting a O.D. K-var stock on the barrell. Thus making it blend in with the scenery. Any body ever tried to bake thier gun parts? If so at what temperature and for how long??

Any help would be appreciated.

Check with the paint manufacturer. A recent discussion on another forum discussed the wisdom behind baking a coating that was not intended to be baked. If the paint is designed to be cured by an air cure, baking does not enhance the finish coat, and may in fact comprimise the integrity of the coating making it less functional.

If you were using a product like Duracoat, Ceracoat or Gunkote. Then baking is a quicker cure time.

Rust-oleum says on the can I have, use between 50 - 90 degrees F.

At 70 F it's dry to handle in 15 - 30 mins, cured in 4 hours.

Why would you want to bake it? No need, not intended to.

It would appear the OP wants to bake Rustoleum which is not marketed as a baked on finish, unlike the other coatings mentioned which are formulated to be baked to achieve the proper cure.

To bake the Rustoleum the same as the other coatings that are designed to be baked for proper cure is probably not a good idea.

I have baked Rustoleum, but at like 50-70 degrees Celsius for a couple of hours to speed up drying and curing. It does work. But I was honestly just simulating a really hot day.

It isn't really baking as much as just making sure it is is a nice warm, low humidity environment.

The Rustoleum stuff I "baked" came out hard as nails, but not anything better than say, a days normal curing won't do.

I probably wouldn't do it again, I just needed something done PDQ, and it worked. So long as you don't actually cook it I don't see the problem.

KBK

I have baked Rustoleum, but at like 50-70 degrees Celsius for a couple of hours to speed up drying and curing. It does work. But I was honestly just simulating a really hot day.

It isn't really baking as much as just making sure it is is a nice warm, low humidity environment.

The Rustoleum stuff I "baked" came out hard as nails, but not anything better than say, a days normal curing won't do.

I probably wouldn't do it again, I just needed something done PDQ, and it worked. So long as you don't actually cook it I don't see the problem.

KBK

I think this may be the answer I was looking for. I will set my oven at the lowest temp and bake for 1 hour. After I let it sit for a day or two after spraying. I guess I just want to speed up the curing process.

Just a quick follow up on the paint job!

I put the barrell and reciever cover in the oven set at lowest setting (170f) for 1 hour.

Took it out and let stand for a day.

Man is it ever tactical. The finish kinda remindes me of a parkized finish. It appears to be a tough finish. I preppred the surfaces with brake cleaner before spraying the Camo flat black. Will show pictures when I put the furniture on.

Also putting K-Var OD Ak furniture on, so should look low profile in the woods.

Dennis