value of parted out saiga 12 receiver? could ya make it into a rifle?

that is if its legal, and if the trunion holes wouldnt be a deal breaker. i guess you could plug the old holes, but thats less than ideal.

and could you as a kit builder build any old ak parts kit off it? i suppose as long as it stays a long gun you should be ok...

and how aboot value to the nfa guys?

oh wait! the trunion is the reciver on s12, so ya should be safe right?

BAD NEWS: you are operating in a legal gray zone.

The ATF considers the receiver to be the firearm. In the case of an imported Saiga, the complete firearm is serialized on the front trunnion, not the receiver. Once the serialized trunnion is removed from the receiver, you have created an unregistered, unserialized firearm - the wonder of legal magic! A parted-out Saiga receiver is technically contraband and must either be destroyed or re-assembled using its original parts, though I doubt the ATF could ever prove that the receiver is not original if it were assembled using non-original parts.

Someone is free to bust me up on this, but this is my understanding of the issue from having read several threads on other forums concerning exactly this issue. The consensus seems to be, that you cannot build a new rifle out of an unmarked receiver, though again the ATF would have a hard time proving what you have done.

I would not attempt to sell an un-serialized Saiga receiver.

Edited by mancat

selling an 100% reciever without a serial # can be an issue. having the parts in your possesion should not be(no different from a bent finished flat, using it to build something yourself shouldn't be a problem either. remember there is no registration in most of the US. and building guns for yourself is not illegal.

• Like 1

I may be wrong (as law isn'tbased on any logic), but you aren't fabricating or designating a serial number. You reprinting the existing serial number onto the party of the gun that is legally considered it's self to be the "fire arm". That or simply sell the receiver with trunnion attached.

I may be wrong (as law isn'tbased on any logic), but you aren't fabricating or designating a serial number. You reprinting the existing serial number onto the party of the gun that is legally considered it's self to be the "fire arm". That or simply sell the receiver with trunnion attached.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Hmm... I'm not really sure about reprinting an existing number. The ATF has defined the purpose of said number as, "Allowing the firearm to be traced from the original manufacturer, through any additional manufacturing processes, through various distributors, to the first private sale."

I know it's a felony for anyone to knowingly transfer a firearm without a serial number (for the tracking purposes) to another individual. I always thought that the "firearm" part of an AK was the front trunion, as this is the serialized part. That did seem rather odd, though. The receiver would make more sense, except that you can buy receiver flats through the mail without a FFL.

Now I'm really not sure about that bit. We're talking about a S12 receiver, though. Can they be used for any other caliber? I was under the impression that the rails were different.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Hmm... I'm not really sure about reprinting an existing number. The ATF has defined the purpose of said number as, "Allowing the firearm to be traced from the original manufacturer, through any additional manufacturing processes, through various distributors, to the first private sale."

I know it's a felony for anyone to knowingly transfer a firearm without a serial number (for the tracking purposes) to another individual. I always thought that the "firearm" part of an AK was the front trunion, as this is the serialized part. That did seem rather odd, though. The receiver would make more sense, except that you can buy receiver flats through the mail without a FFL.

Now I'm really not sure about that bit. We're talking about a S12 receiver, though. Can they be used for any other caliber? I was under the impression that the rails were different.

Because it's not a receiver untill it's bent. then it's an 80% and now a firearm. If they didn't have that point listed the atf would have to have it's nose in any piece of plate steel.

• 1 month later...