Real VS. Artifical Christmas Trees  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is it for you?

• Real Tree
    • Artificial

About 10 years ago, I bought a small (about 2' tall) pre-decorated fiber optic Christmas tree that I bought from Walgreens for "Only $7.99" as it reads on the origional box. A couple of my neighbors came over last year, and I had the tree completely set up from outta the box in roughly 8 seconds! A friend of mine said after looking at the "Only $7.99 " printing on the box that I spared no expense. Personally, ain't nothin' like going into the mountains here, cutting my tree, and decorating it up in the living room. But... "ONLY $7.99"!!

• Like 1

actually stormi, artificial trees can die. when i go to pull it out of the basement and it's covered in dead bugs and cat piss, i consider it dead

Funny, when I find that the cat has started pissing on stuff... I usually consider the cat dead.

Before cat lovers get all up-in-arms. I've never actually killed a cat. I've even owned a couple. But if they start pissing where they ought not, they become outside cats. What happens next is on them.

I was quite skeptical about an artificial tree. My wife is a Slovak and they simply don't have the resources to be cutting down trees for the holidays. Almost everybody has artificial trees over there and she wanted me to get one. I told her that there are about a million free suitable live trees on our mountain that we could cut down and bring in for the holiday season and then use it for firewood when it was used up. She wanted the darn thing really bad, so I went an purchased a fake tree with LED lights already installed. I was happy with it because it was not made in china.

There is no smell with a fake tree so I put some olive oil in a pan and simmered some pine needles to make a fragrant oil instead of spraying stuff out of a can. It's really easy to install. It takes about a minute to have standing and lit. It does not leave pine needles all over the place and does not need watering.

After a few years with this fake tree. I really don't mind it. I drop huge pine trees for fire wood in October and November so going out to a farm or to the woods to get a chirstmas tree isn't that big of a deal. Maybe when my kids get a little bigger, they will want the experience of skiing into an area and dropping a pine tree. Dragging it out and loading it up is always kinda fun for the whole family. Not unlike hunting a deer and dragging it out. This might be a good experience to help them develop hunting and gathering.

All said and done, I'm glad I have a worry free tree that looks like a real one from three feet away.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had real tree's and artificial. From about 7ft tall all the way down to a prelit(way back in the 80's early 90's) 3ft tree.

My first tree on my own was as my wife calls it a charlie brown artificial tree. It was $15 from kmart in 2000 and it was a dam good tree. then we moved on to some giant 7.5ft one that was her parents and I got tired of it after year 2 and went out on blackfriday about 3yrs ago and bought a prelit 7ft one, with multi-colored LED lights. So much easier and faster to set up. The fluffing takes the longest.

Our first "tree" was a cardboard cutout of a tree, I poked holes in it, stuck lights into the holes.

We colored it, some paint also, taped some tin foil and that was it, we kept that "tree" for a few years.

That was the BEST tree we ever had. Moved into our house, I went to the woods and cut a Ceader

every year for many years, then came the fake trees. I WANT THAT CARDBOARD TREE BACK!!!

Did I say I like the cardboard tree.

Red, PM me your address and I'll ship you some cardboard. I feel like it's the least I could for you this time of the year.

As for my preference, being a Grinch I prefer real. Cactus.

Edited by TacticoolTim

I prefer a live tree but haven't taken the time to set one up the past few years. I miss it. Last time I had a cool idea and set it up suspended from an eye hook in a ceiling joist by a steel leader with a heavy duty fishing swivel in it. Hung the tree in a bucket to keep it green, and ran the cord out the top, across the ceiling, & down the wall to an outlet. Could see all the ornaments as it spun around. The cats friggin LOVED it...LOL!! Un tippable too!

cool.png

Tim, I have lots of cardboard, OL dont want no part of that.

Well, shucks! What else do you need? I have a brand new Uinta 308 magazine. It doesn't fit my 308 well anyway but might fit yours. So you can PM me on that if you want.

Just don't expect it to get there by Christmas. And don't expect any ribbon and bows. People might talk.

Merry Christmas,

Tim

Edited by TacticoolTim