Wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I was thinking a Hi-point carbine. 9mm seems fun and cheap to play with. The .45 has more punch but costs almost 2x to shoot. Who has them and how do you like them. Brag to me, maybe some pics.

If you find one, let me know- everywhere i looked is charging twice what they're worth. i did get to hold one, and everything they say about them is true ( check with the search engine) only problem is that it was in 40, which, among some rumored problems, is a caliber i don't own and don't want to start. most places won't even put you on a wait list. i've given up and plan on getting a saiga 9 if they ever get imported, and a mec tec ccu in 9mm to hold me over. good luck though.

ps one of the mods, INDY, just did some pretty kickass work to one. forgot where the thread is though

Wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I was thinking a Hi-point carbine. 9mm seems fun and cheap to play with. The .45 has more punch but costs almost 2x to shoot. Who has them and how do you like them. Brag to me, maybe some pics.

Mine was fun until it started feeding half the rounds nose up.

If you find one, let me know- everywhere i looked is charging twice what they're worth. i did get to hold one, and everything they say about them is true ( check with the search engine) only problem is that it was in 40, which, among some rumored problems, is a caliber i don't own and don't want to start. most places won't even put you on a wait list. i've given up and plan on getting a saiga 9 if they ever get imported, and a mec tec ccu in 9mm to hold me over. good luck though.

ps one of the mods, INDY, just did some pretty kickass work to one. forgot where the thread is though

whoops. replace "hi point" with "kel tec sub 2000" and it might seem like this guy knows what he's talking about. what.gif

sorry, whenever i read about these i always start thinking about the kel tec. don't know much about the hi points, just that from what i can tell, promag is the only company that makes spare mags for it and that kinda turned me off

The Hipoint carbine is a fabulous little plinkin rifle!

Amazingly rugged, DECENTLY accurate for what it is. Lots of accessories for them to tweak them out...

Its like a 9MM AK built in USA with a warranty forever! They always feed, and fire, and work!

At least everyone I have ever heard about has!! :lol::up:

You cant go wrong! :up:

:smoke:

Mine was fun until it started feeding half the rounds nose up.

Hi-Point has well known no question asked life time warranty (no matter it is new or resell). Send it back to factory for repair and you will get an extra mag for your trouble as compensation.

I have the 995TS for years and enjoyed every range time shooting it. Never gives me any issue and quite accurate for a pistol caliber carbine. Mine is a 9mm; it is easy for my other family members to handle and easy for my wallet. It is proudly made in the USA.

The weakest link for the Hi-Point firearms is their mag design. However, do not bother with the after market mag especially the ProMag 15rds; it is well known with feeding problem. Buy the factory 10rds mag with holder package directly from Hi-Point. The factory 10rds mag is the most reliable for the 995TS carbine.

Edited by AE86FL

Do a search of the forum. There are a couple of well developed threads about it. Mine always shot well, but it has a crappy trigger, is a pain to clean thoroughly (& doing so requires you to remove the cover to which the scope mounts.) No hi-caps worth buying... Mine had one serious problem though, one time the pressed in stud that the cocking handle threads into walked out of the bolt and jammed into the right side of the receiver locking the gun up solid. That scared me a bit. When I looked at it closer, I was able to press the stud back in and stake it to trap it. This decreases my trust in absolute reliability, but poses no risk of a kaboom type failure.

That said, it shoots straight with relatively cheap ammo, and gets good groups for what it is. Mine has never misfed FTE'd or failed to cycle out of several thousand rounds. dang I miss the sub $.05 9mm days.

Surprisingly, I got 3" groups consistently at about 100 yards. 147 grn loads tend to tumble at that range, but still seemed to be about the same grouping for whatever reason. for what it's worth standard 115 grain penetrated an inch to two inches more at that range too. (simple bullet trap made of dense stacked new newspaper, dry, compressed by duct tape. 115 grain punched into 11.5 -13 inches.)

For me the bottom line is that it is the only firearm that I have gotten tired of. ever. I would rather have the ruger 9mm carbine that looks like a 10/22 and takes P-series pistol mags, or the keltek that takes glock mags. If you want one, it is an OK gun for $150, but I would rather spend $200 on one of the others mentioned used. Or save up the difference for a 5.45.

Hi-Point has well known no question asked life time warranty (no matter it is new or resell). Send it back to factory for repair and you will get an extra mag for your trouble as compensation.

I did send it back, and promptly sold it after verifying it ran fine again. I can't trust my life to a gun that suddenly starts feeding rounds nose up from 4 different magazines, at least not if there is no good explanation provided for why it happened and why it likely won't happen again.

The weakest link for the Hi-Point firearms is their mag design.

Precisely why the oft-repeated claim that the 995 is like an American 9mm AK is bunk. The mag is a strong point of the AK system, unless of course you buy Promags, Tapcos, and such.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Thanks, Got one coming. After looking around, much more good than bad about it. It was hard to find the 9mm. Everyone that had a .40 called the 9mm a pussy round, but with the extra push the 16.5" barrel gives it and 3 boxes of ammo for the price of 2 boxes of .40.... It's going to be more for the wife and kids as much as me even though it's my gift. Not for HD, just a fun gun unless it really proves to be worth more than I expect. Just a plinker that looks kind of mall ninja like. I need one gun with a lazer and light right?

My postive experience with the 995TS shows me that it is a good weapon especially if the AWB begin (back to the 10 rds limitation) and when the ammo is no where to be found like during 2008-9. I was still able to find 9mm at walmart back then.

And 9mm ammo is extremely cheap to reload, too. You get 1200+ rounds out of a pound of Unique at $28/lb.