7.62x39 ammo for the 308

no definitely not. all 7.62 bullets aren't the same. the 308 is 7.62 x 51. so the overall cartridge lenght is to long and the ak round is actually tapered. the bullet itself in the 308 is actually 308 while 7.62x39 is .310. so you cant even pull the bullets and reload them into ak or even a 7.62x54r in some cases which are.311

hope this helps

• Like 1

It's a fairly safe decision and a literally safe guideline to always assume as a gun owner that X firearm chambered for X caliber can only shoot that very catridge barring major modifications to said firearm. Sometimes this entails only a different barrel, extractor/bolt, and magazines (a la Glock 40 to 9 mm, cost about $200)...but most firearms platforms aren't as fortunate to be quite as universal and cheap to convert.

Especially with the AK platform, I imagine it'd be cheaper and easier in the end to simply buy a Saiga or other equivilant in every caliber you want to fire. It never hurts to have more guns, that's for damn sure!

same issues. Its actually .311 and you would't be able to extract it because you need some type of rim

Well, rats! So much for cheap 308 ammo.

Now that that's been resolved, how about 7.62x54r in the 308? Yes, I know you'd have to file the rim off first.

I do it all the time Tim, a lil dremel work on the rim and you got yourself some inexpensive rounds! super_man.gif (note please no one actually attempt this.........)

Yes, please don't! I dremeled the rims off a 440 round spam can worth of bullets, then tried one in my 308. When fully inserted, it was still hanging out of the chamber. Looks like about 3 mm. At least I can still use them in my Mosin as long as I use a ramrod for extraction, so it's not a total loss.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...