I can't believe he used his halftime commentary a few minutes ago as a gun control stump instead of talking about the Kansas City tragedy from a purely sports angle, which is his job. I don't have the text of what he said since he just said it, but political issues, which is what gun control is, has no place on a sports program. Somebody at NBC needs to knock that little pussy off his soap box and tell him to keep his personal political views out of it.

• Like 10
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe he used his halftime commentary a few minutes ago as a gun control stump instead of talking about the Kansas City tragedy from a purely sports angle, which is his job. I don't have the

Hey guys! I haven't been commenting on here for a while. I guess I have anger issues or something like that!   I hope that a few of you will feel compelled enough to do what I did. My wife and I ju

You need to send your complaints to the NBC advertisers. NBC doesn't care about you, but they certainly care about them.   Tony

Posted Images

What is particularly infuriating is that the little wimp didn't even have the guts to present it as his own opinion, which it clearly is. Instead, he quoted another sports writer in Kansas City who shares his anti-gun views which can only be for the purpose of hiding behind as he anticipates the inevitable avalanche of deserved criticism.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 1

So if he didn't have a gun, he couldn't possibly have grabbed a knife, overpowered her with his NFL player size, and then murdered her and likely himself in the same exact way? Guess besides gun use, no one ever dies in the US unnaturally

Edit: For those on facebook, there is a group devoted to him getting fired now (http://www.facebook.com/groups/392699260807732/)

Edited by VR6Shooter
  • Like 1

Emailed the NFL, Chiefs, NBC and Costas, to express my displeasure.

Wondering if its worthwhile to bother with NBC advertisers.

Dang, the more I look around the more this is backlashing on him... I hope it knock his teeth out, maybe then he'll think before yapping.

• Like 3

every assjackin' sports contaminator seems to have an opinion on firearms.. Perhaps they should come out as strongly against doping! perhaps they don't recall the Chris Benoit double murder-suicide only five short years ago..... But nooooo.. we don't want people to stop doping and rely on natural ability!!! That would mess with our entertainment!

Benoit didn't use a gun!!! perhaps Jovan Belcher was too big of a pussy to take a girl out with is bare hands like the Canadian Crippler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_double_murder_and_suicide

Call the NBC switchboard 212-664-4444. Tell them to Fire Bob!!!

So if he didn't have a gun, he couldn't possibly have grabbed a knife, overpowered her with his NFL player size, and then murdered her and likely himself in the same exact way? Guess besides gun use, no one ever dies in the US unnaturally

There is that, and then there is the fact that guns don't just disappear when you pass strict gun laws anyway. Anyone that wants one could still get one. They confuse banning something with making it disappear. Apparently they haven't been paying attention to the situation in Chicago, or to the trillion dollar drug war. But common sense is so scarce in this debate that I wouldn't be surprised if there are some who think that OJ shot those people with that knife. Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

Remember cars cause drunk drivers, spoons make you fat, pencils are the reason you miss spell words on your spelling test and the camera makes you say stupid things on air.

The networks don't care how much hate mail you send them, they do care when you send hate mail to their advertisers who then pull their money from the station.

Part of the blame surely goes to people who consume entertainment of that kind (namely pro and college sports) and give fools a platform to spout foolishness.

If this were a regular occurrence you might have a point, but it's not. There is a difference between listening to a sportscaster jabber on about benign sports related topics like they usually do than using a nationally televised program to promote gun control. Sports figures die all the time for all kinds of reasons but I don't ever remember being lectured at halftime about using illegal drugs, or driving too fast. This was a total surprise and I'll bet they don't do it again or there will be less people watching.
  • Like 1

Part of the blame surely goes to people who consume entertainment of that kind (namely pro and college sports) and give fools a platform to spout foolishness.

If this were a regular occurrence you might have a point, but it's not. There is a difference between listening to a sportscaster jabber on about benign sports related topics like they usually do than using a nationally televised program to promote gun control. Sports figures die all the time for all kinds of reasons but I don't ever remember being lectured at halftime about using illegal drugs, or driving too fast. This was a total surprise and I'll bet they don't do it again or there will be less people watching.

Incorrect. It has nothing to do with the frequency of such homilies but rather the possible impact that the perceived legitimacy his position--a position solely based on spectator sports--affords the content of his message. Television is, after all, a very authoritarian medium. The faces on screen are there to transmit messages with the implication that they are not misrepresenting the truth. That someone like Costas would be given that mantle of authority for something as trivial as professional sports is the problem. People who might be ignorant of or ambivalent to certain issues could easily be taken in by his position as a fount of information and not bother to verify his exhortations.

If all we're concerned about is that someone in the world is wrong, then we're missing the big picture. If we're only concerned that he said something unrelated to sports during a show about sports, then we're missing the entire picture. The major problem is that undue influence has been given to someone for trite and stupid reasons, namely professional sports. He could have said guns were great because they were linked to invulnerability from certain types of cancer...heck, he could have said guns spontaneously sprouted boobies that excreted a refreshing beer that granted eternal youth, but the problem of him occupying a role that supplants the usual and necessary incredulity his audience should have would remain.

While programming decisions are ultimately in the hands of the television companies, it is safe to say that no one is being forced to watch sporting event coverage, thereby making the consumption of such media elective rather than compulsory. Since the competition between media outlets to broadcast sports programming is considerable, it can be inferred that the product itself is subject to considerable demand from the audience. Therefore, the things Bob Costas said are infuriating at least partially because of the demand for sports entertainment.

Edited by DrThunder88

It's great to see a lot of negative push back on this.

Good for the major media outlets spewing this nonsense to know that we are not all a bunch of drunks sitting in our easy chairs waiting for them to tell us what to buy and how to think.

I watch sports all the time, one of the few things I do watch. It's stupid you would share blame of his short comings and flawed reasoning with me, no one at all would be surprised if this was said by someone on a reality show, he is suppose to be a professional and was not last night. I was just starting to like this guy for the way he attacked Sandusky on live television (which was also biased and unprofessional)

• Like 1

Hey guys! I haven't been commenting on here for a while. I guess I have anger issues or something like that! :)

I hope that a few of you will feel compelled enough to do what I did. My wife and I just canceled our paid Hulu subscription, our NFL ticket and deleted NBC and its affiliate networks from our television. We contacted each one of them with an explanation why and I'm currently looking for active sponsors of the show to contact and let them know that I will not support anything associated with anti-American, anti-firearm propaganda.

Bob Costas is a fool. He was reading off a teleprompter so it was screened. NBC and the NFL are responsible for this agent and the agenda.

Please take the time to hit them were it hurts, the wallet!

Best of luck everybody! The game is on!

• Like 9