my friends project. combined a fal lower to a yugo sks. a fal is shown above for a comparison to his project. its not finished yet its in the works. should look pretty neat. russian hammer and my friend made me want a fal. anyways what do you guys think ..

post-37314-0-80094200-1354557271_thumb.jpg

Edited by saigway
  • Like 2

the bottom rifle is almost fully fuctional. it is a combination of a yugoslavian sks and a fal lower. above it is a .308 fal rifle. the sks/fal hybrid is still a 7.62x39 but will take fal grips and stocks, sks magazines and if he would listen to me ak front handguards. its a frakenstein gun. just thought id add that the sks front sight and the fal lower rear site co-witness eachother so that worked out great. fold up grenade launcher is still on there too.

Edited by saigway
  • Like 2

it should look pretty badass once the front hanguard and magwell stuff is on there. not to mention it could use some new furniture. as far as the goal? to make it more badass in a sense. something that hardly anyone if that, has ever heard or done before. should have a completly unique look and there should be tons of parts and stuff available for this. ontop of the fact replaceing will be easy since sks's can be had for 200$ he decided to build something different rather than buy an ak or ar.

Edited by saigway
  • Like 2

Should have done it with a SKS-M so you could use AK mags... But then it wouldn't have been as cheap.

ETA: I guess you aren't using the lower anyway... how do you plan on attaching the mags?

Edited by Pyzik

the sks magazines actually lock in how it is and are held in place. it just looks ugly as hell as others have said. it needs some plating to cover those defects. the mag piece/catch that holds the lip of the duckbill is actually on the barrel so it just needs to be covered up to look nicer. not sure how that will be achieved at this point in time idea and it could have made it fitted on for a ak mag release and catch and take ak mags but it was to much work for what has already been done he tells me. everything works but the internals just need some small minor fitting to ensure there is not a malfuction from fireing. alot of measurements and welding/cuttinng grinding was done to get this gun to where it is. not to mention he will need to get compliance stuff and hopefully make it look nicer but like i said its a project and not fully finshed or built yet. its just a photo to give an idea.

• Like 1

Interesting. Does your friend have much (real) gunsmithing experience? Hope he doesn't have a catestrophic failure with it trying to be different. Good thing he still has the gas regulator for the Grenade Launcher, good selling point to the Mall Ninjas though.

its not reinventing the wheel, but its thinking, and thats what i like! i have seen one at local gun shows before, and they are definitely cool...i dont like sks's, its like a remmy 870, they never planned for it to have a pistol grip, so they look stooooopid when someone puts one on it...plus the non removalbe mag thing is really silly...

How does 922R come into play doing this?

I think it might not since it's not making a version of a gun that's banned from import and making a whole new design. However, that's obviously a grey area because at what point is it no longer a FAL or SKS? What parts of those firearms are considered the serialized firearm? What if both serialized 'receivers' are utilized into one rifle. Is it still two guns? It's a big WTF I think...

• Like 1

How does 922R come into play doing this?

I think it might not since it's not making a version of a gun that's banned from import and making a whole new design. However, that's obviously a grey area because at what point is it no longer a FAL or SKS? What parts of those firearms are considered the serialized firearm? What if both serialized 'receivers' are utilized into one rifle. Is it still two guns? It's a big WTF I think...

It's all about the features - e.g., threaded muzzle, folding stock, etc.

Since the Yugo rifle has a bayonet lug and a threaded barrel, I believe 922r DOES come into play.

The one in the images with the wood handguards wouldn't.

The BATFE actually doesn't come out and state any particular feature of a rifle or shotgun would fail the 'sporting test'.

In determining whether a particular rifle or shotgun is suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes within the meaning of the statute, ATF generally relies upon an analysis of the physical features of the firearm. Determinations regarding the classification of a specific rifle or shotgun are made on a case-by-case basis using criteria that includes the overall appearance, length, weight, receiver or frame design and construction, designed magazine capacity, configuration and the presence of various physical characteristics designed for military and law enforcement application that distinguish the sample rifle or shotgun from traditional sporting firearms. (See e.g., ATF Rul. 94-1, 94-2, 95-3).

To actually know one way or another, you'd have to submit the weapon for classification by them. Otherwise, you don't know what the part count would be in order to meet the requirements.