Very nice!!

I was also thinking... you can get fiberglass repair kits at walmart for cheap... come with fiberglass cloth and the bonding agent... would that work to wrap around the mag bodies and bind them together?? That stuff is pretty rugged when it cures, Hell I used it to patch holes in the bed of my ol pickup truck, and they never leaked!

I would think that it would work very well to wrap the mag bodies after the soldering iron "welding" and make a stronger joint than the plain epoxy or bondo... Also after curing, its easily sandable and very paintable!

Just my 2 Cents for what its worth...

:smoke:

Very nice!! I was also thinking... you can get fiberglass repair kits at walmart for cheap...

Thanks man, that's the back-up plan if I ever do break one. I seen someone on here awhile ago made a 410 mag with that method.

The polyamide is similiar to phenolic in that there's glass fibers mixed into it. I've put a beating on the 2 3/4" 10 rounders. I haven't had the balls to drop a loaded one out the window yet though...

I figure the 3" magnums will be a truer test of durability.

Edited by dinzag

I guess the fiberglass would work but might look like you put a cast on your magazine, I wish some one would come in and import mags so these home grown solutions would not be needed. Not that I dont like them just think we all should work on shooting more than dealing with the lack of magazines.

I wish some one would come in and import mags so these home grown solutions would not be needed. Not that I dont like them just think we all should work on shooting more than dealing with the lack of magazines.

I hear ya there - a domestic source would be nice as well. While the high capacity mags are available, I'd rather have 6 of the mags above vs 1 of the overpriced imported ones. My time could be put towards more shooting and hoarding of weapons & ammo! :killer:

I really appreciate the time and energy you put into helping us all out with that tutorial, thank you and keep up the good work. I can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks man - I appreciate the feedback!

No the plastic is not hard at all...any chop/hand/hack/cutoff/band/chain saw will work. O.K. maybe not a chainsaw. The blade on my band saw is so dull it burns plywood. Good luck & post some pics here if you do 'em! :smoke:

O.K. I got the finished photos up now! Enjoy!!!

(pardon the shameless bump to top)

edit: I dunno why the last photo is on there...there's no link in the post for it. Sorry if there's too many pics.

Edited by dinzag

Oustanding work!!!....Have you considred trying that w/2 12 ga Mags??..& If so..How much would ya want If I supplied the mags???.

Stay Safer! :super::super::super:

Ping me at StarLynx@swbell.net purty Pleeze.. If ya like.. :ph34r:

Edited by StarLynx
  • 2 weeks later...
I will be trying this as soon as I can get some more S-20 mags...hint hint...

Shan...Sorry I haven't sent you those S20 mags...A dimwitted wench failed to yeild ROW to me last week & TO'd my Harley Sporty ...Frac'd my wrist...& have been grounded for Temp R&R ..Still sore as hell...Geezz!!..I have rolled Hueys' end over end & walked away from it...been gunshot 5 separate times...Got three ex wives....yet i've never felt pain like I got when That bitch ran me down...Especially when I got a look at ma Harley@!!!.....& the EMTs' that carried me to the ER refused to put it in the meatwagon with me !!...Even at gunpoint!!...

Can ya resend me your Mailing addy??.. :super:

I will be trying this as soon as I can get some more S-20 mags...hint hint...

Shan...Sorry I haven't sent you those S20 mags...A dimwitted wench failed to yeild ROW to me last week & TO'd my Harley Sporty ...Frac'd my wrist...& have been grounded for Temp R&R ..Still sore as hell...Geezz!!..I have rolled Hueys' end over end & walked away from it...been gunshot 5 separate times...Got three ex wives....yet i've never felt pain like I got when That bitch ran me down...Especially when I got a look at ma Harley@!!!.....& the EMTs' that carried me to the ER refused to put it in the meatwagon with me !!...Even at gunpoint!!...

Can ya resend me your Mailing addy??.. :super:

Man, that is a real bummer. Sorry to hear you got hurt and your Harley is scrap. Look at it this way, you're not playing your harp or wheelchair bound for life. You'll recover to ride and shoot again. Godspeed StarLynx. Don't worry about COBRA. He's got so many irons in the fire he doesn't know which to grab first. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

PS....Gunshot five separate times? Either you need a change in your line of work or better friends brother. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Wolverine

Sorry to hear that man - 3 ex-wives? Ouch!

I feel your pain - I got rolled across the hood of a late 70's LeSabre some old blue-hair was driving. She stopped at a crossroad and waited until I was past the point of no return, then decided she had the right of way... I was slowed down to 30 or so when I took to the air. I was fortunate, but the Honda (R.I.P.) and my knee didn't fair so well. That said...it could have been much much worse.

Take care bro!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey dinzag here's a free bump for ya and a funnt story. :super:

Man I'm still laughing out loud about the fact that you are welding those babies with a soldering iron. You ain't gonna believe this shit but I was one of the people that invented that welding method back in 1972, just before I got the shit beat out of me for using my dads good soldering iron for me and my friend's "build parties" we used to have while he was at work. One day out of the blue I got this idea that we could save model glue and use the iron like a welder and get realistic looking model dirt track cars like the ones my friend's dad was racing on wknds. We used to take the "trees" the parts came on and weld up our own roll cages and side pipes and stuff. The body panels were cut and welded at the doors like the real thing. It was pretty damned cool till my old man found out what was wrong with his burnt soldering iron tips! :lolol: Oh my ass! We would build all kinds of crazy looking cars and trucks from thrown together spare parts. Sometimes just cut up a brand new model car and make it all nasty lookin'. Then we would have smash up derbies and melt them back together again afterwards. Mom didn't understand how we could take a perfectly good model and muck it all up like that.

Those were the daze...

Good story! I used to steal my mom's nail polish for painting up rc & model cars and planes with swastikas, skulls & ac/dc logos. :devil: My friends mom had a heart attack when he came home with his nazi and "satanic" cars. They were jewish - whoops! :lolol::lolol: I think I was 7 in the 2nd grade ('82ish) My mom didn't appreciate the custom colors we mixed up either! Ah the good old days!

Thats funny, it must be something about 2nd graders, I was in 2nd grade in 72'. Back then you could still find real M-80s. One of my funniest memories is when we floated my battleship USS NC model down the creek with an M-80 on board. :devil:

When that thing blew it splashed all the water out of the creek like Moses was comin thru there riding a ball of fire. There were no recognizeable pcs left of the 2' long battleship. :killer::lolol::lolol:

OK to get back on topic, have you tried this mag fusing mod with S-12 mags? Can you post some pics? I'm concerned about the feed angle issues when joining two or three 5 rdrs because they are straight instead of curved like the 8 rd mags. This inevitably will cause a problem with the shells bunching up.

Cobra - I pm'd ya before I read this...

For everyone else...

Yes I have done it (4 of 'em) and yes they came out fine. Check out the follower guides inside the mag - make them transition as smooth as possible and see how the follower slides through there. I remember having to tweak the angle after the first cut on the first one, but after that I made them all the same.

Lay out x number of shells on the table as if they were in a mag and look at the curvature. That is what you are after. Compare that to the follower guides. Use that to adjust your angle of where the mags meet.

I actually got the idea from Wakal doing his S-12 10 rounders.

I don't have pics. I don't own a S-12 or mags. (someone could hook me up though ;) ) I can't even find Wakal's old post...

But trust me, it has been done and can be done again... :smoke:

What I'd really like to do is a couple 8's into a 16 or 18... :devil: !!! Any takers? I'd take lots of pics of their slow and agonizing death!!! Bua Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

If anyone has any questions on the subject, feel free to ask!

O.K. here's a pic of Wakal's setup...

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/Guns.htm

post-2093-1134579558_thumb.jpg

Looks like he was using it as a comp gun - maybe he can chime in on their durability. That's where I got the idea...

edited to add:

Found this thread...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=2034&hl=

After reading how he did it, he had some issues with some of the rounds jumping out of the "rim track" where the mags join together. If you cut the mags so that the follower rails are continuous, you lose some capacity, but the shells can't come out of the "rim track". I removed the entire bottom and top portions on the ones I did, but they fit 10 in there. He made his to fit 12...

Edited by dinzag
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

When dinzag and I first started the tech section it was chock full of good threads like this. We each went back and pulled all the good tutorials and how to's, and all the good links we had saved and posted them in there for easy reference. You can still find that first good thread stickied in the tech section under :

ALL NEW MEMBERS GO HERE FIRST!!! **TECH SECTION** (ANSWERS)

http://forum.saiga-1...?showtopic=8856

Then not too long after that the tech section filled up with questions and repeat questions, answers and repeat answers...til you couldn't find anything any more.

Lots of good info in that one thread though.....

For some reason just because these old threads are old, some people ignore them thinking it's all just old news......not true....

• 8 months later...

This sounds like a great idea. It would be nice though if Sanders or some other domestic producer would build a 10 round magazine for the 20 Gauge Saiga shotgun, in either 2.75" and/or 3". This way, people in states like Ohio where you can't buy a shotgun magazine with a capacity larger than 10 rounds can buy it. I can't buy the Sander's 13 round magazine because of my state's laws, and the available four round magazines just don't cut it.

The do-it-yourself project sounds neat, but is it very economical, especially with the four round mags for the Saiga 20 gauge running about $40 apiece? That ends up making a merged magazine cost $80 or more in parts alone, much less the time required in putting it all together.

I bet that the market is out there for affordable domestically-produced Saiga 20 gauge magazines with a capacity of six to ten rounds. I just hope that someone out there is listening.

• Like 1