5.56 AK from a 74 kit?

Got the barrel in today. He wrote on the packaging it was "Bulgarian K-Var," but I can't trust that without paperwork. I'll get some pics up here in a little bit.

Also, the barrel is ~23mm and the kit is for 22mm.

ETA: Emailed my builder, going to see what he has to say.

Edited by Jon_L
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely looks like a short-collar Bulgarian 5.56 barrel. I'm just not sure why it's threaded. Only other 14x1LH threaded 5.56 barrels I know of come from Romania, Israel, E. Germany - countries that K-VAR typically doesn't sell parts from. It's definitely not a E. German Weiger barrel - those are long-collar lug and rust-blued.

Oh well. Whatever it is, it will make a good rifle once your builder gets it fixed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't gotten that Trigger group, but I did get an email yesterday that it's been shipped.

Also waiting on a Renegadebuck AR mag adapter because finding Bulgy mags under $40 are a bitch right now. It only cost me $77.

Yes. The Polish Beryl is based on the Tantal series, and is basically an exact design copy of the AK-74 in terms of magazine well size, trunnion dimensions, etc. though the externai appearance is different. The mags themselves are just AK-74 magazines with a different curvature and follower shape.

They are compatible with Saiga and AK-74 rifles chambered in .223 - just need some minor modification to the Saiga rifle or to the mags, as the Saiga trunnion locking lugs protrude further downward into the magazine well.

ZiF7hlz.jpg

Tomorrow is payday. I'll be picking some up. I may use those until Definitive Arms gets in touch with me on their AR magazine conversion to my rifle. I'm on the list but there is no telling how long it will take.

• 8 months later...

I know it's been awhile since I've posted in here but I'm still waiting for it to be built (Troy has had the kit since Feb so maybe soon).  I have had this thought circulating in my head that the spring might not be fitting of the 5.56 caliber and cause wear on the rear trunnion.  Any tips?

Pretty sure it's just a standard strength spring. I could probably rig up some sort of contraption to measure the spring force with an inch-pound gauge, and see if the factory spring is any different from the AK-74 springs that I have.

I ran an extra-power spring in mine for a long time, but recently took it out. It was occasionally short-stroking with the weaker steel-cased .223 from Tulammo and such. No problems since going back to the original spring.

The original reason I put the spring in was that I thought the gun was overgassed when shooting M193, but I have shot some M193 and M855 since putting the original spring back in, and it seemed just fine - not sure what I was thinking before.

Edited by mancat

Still sitting in a box. I bought a house around the same time I started getting parts together to build it. All my time since then has gone into the house.. Hopefully will get it done this winter when I finish setting up the work area in the garage.