Replacing vepr 12 stock questions

Alright so first off this is my first ak style shotgun. I have been looking around on here and various other places on the net trying to figure all the mounting systems. I have deceided I would like to try to keep the tang on my vepr and was looking at going with this http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1152/M4-AK-Saiga-Stock/Detail which is listed in vepr parts on their website. what work will i have to do to get that to work or is there something else i should know ?

IIRC you'll need to thin down the sides and bottom a little to fit it in the thicker receiver. The route I went with was the VLTOR milspec stock tube, it has an insert that fits the Vepr-12 with it and just leaves a small gap at the top on each side of the tube. Either one will work fine on the V-12 after you fit the commercial one to your gun, for me it just came down to having milspec stocks around to use.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the VLTOR looks like it simply hangs off the stock tang with no provision made to fit/fill the internal pocket of the receiver other than adding a cosmetic insert. Although it may be adequate for normal use, the design will not be as strong as it could be under a striking/dropping force compared to one that solidly fills the receiver cavity.

Although it would have considerable heft, IMO the aforementioned stock adapter, plus a Magpul UBR setup would turn the Vepr12 into a tank.

I like that rifled dynamics rig. I had not seen it before.

Not keen on having to sand it down to make it fit though. Do you know if it allows you to retain the tang?

One thing I like about the vltor is the built in QD cups. I wouldn't worry about dropping striking with it, I can't see it effecting it. The way it mounts to the tang seems very solid to me.

EDIT:

Wow this thing is really nice. Great find. Tang stays. Does it look high though, would this be above the line of the barrel?

I like that it uses standard M4 end plates, so I can get one with a QD cup which is slick. I wonder how much sanding it would require. Also, not sure how much more sturdy this will make the mount - still only solid mount points are the tang. Not sure how much the bulkhead will add in terms of sturdyness. The vltor does not lack there IMO.

productimage-picture-ak-ar-stock-adapter-513_jpg_280x280_q85.jpg

Edited by ec4321
  • Like 1

Well I went ahead and orderd the vltor stock. We will see how it turns out.

I installed the VLTOR stock and had to do some minor fitting on the bottom edge of the aluminum to get it to fit. Then I had to use 2 small washers to shim under the rear tang hole to get the tube to stick straight out (it was angled slightly upward without the washers). It works great now and is rock solid. I put about 400 rds through it with no issues. If I ever notice the shimmed screw backing out I will put a drop of blue loctite on it. If you like I can post a pic when I get home.

Well I went ahead and orderd the vltor stock. We will see how it turns out.

I installed the VLTOR stock and had to do some minor fitting on the bottom edge of the aluminum to get it to fit. Then I had to use 2 small washers to shim under the rear tang hole to get the tube to stick straight out (it was angled slightly upward without the washers). It works great now and is rock solid. I put about 400 rds through it with no issues. If I ever notice the shimmed screw backing out I will put a drop of blue loctite on it. If you like I can post a pic when I get home.

Hey Philemon. I remember your post about this last time. I thought mine were off as well.

However, after looking at it extensively, building shims, and checking angles - I can assure you they are fine from the factory at least on mine.

Let me explain what I think is happening. The top and the bottom of the AK receiver are not parallel. This makes anything extending from the back of the receiver look crooked. In the case of the vltor it looks like it's going up at an angle if you look at it with a point of reference of the bottom receiver line.

The vltor should be parallel with the the line of the top of the receiver - take off the top cover, remove the bolt carrier, spring and safety. Put a straight edge on that top edge of the receiver and you will see the vltor is perfectly parallel with that line which is the line of the barrel.

This is the case on my AK rifle and the Vepr I have vltors on. No shims required.

Can't believe I never saw that Rifle Dynamics adapter before!!! No idea how that managed to elude me. Thanks for that!... Well I went all in and decided that's what I want to run on my Vepr 12. Obviously I have to sand and dremel to make it fit, but I'll make it work. Ordered the Rifle Dynamics adapter, a Vltor shotgun buffer tube, Magpul milspec CTR stock, Magpul enhanced recoil pad, and a Magpul ASAP. Bad news is though I have finals all next week and then will be out of country for a month, so will be a while before I can install it. Will update when I do though.

I emailed rifle dynamics last night after seeing that stock adapter and they replied and said they do not believe iit will work with a VEPR or on a PRK reciever. I was bummed because I really liked the look and functional idea of it. Here was their reply...

"Mr. Boone,

Thank you for contacting us at Rifle Dynamics. Please check out the notes under the stock adapter on our webstore. It should be strong enough for the S-12, but I don't believe it will fit the VEPR or RPK."

Can't believe I never saw that Rifle Dynamics adapter before!!! No idea how that managed to elude me. Thanks for that!... Well I went all in and decided that's what I want to run on my Vepr 12. Obviously I have to sand and dremel to make it fit, but I'll make it work. Ordered the Rifle Dynamics adapter, a Vltor shotgun buffer tube, Magpul milspec CTR stock, Magpul enhanced recoil pad, and a Magpul ASAP. Bad news is though I have finals all next week and then will be out of country for a month, so will be a while before I can install it. Will update when I do though.

Let us know how it turns out. I am very interested in running this setup with a Magpul STR Milspec stock. What is my best buffertube option? Brand wise.

This may have been addressed elsewhere, but has the required US parts count been determined to start swapping out the factory parts? I got an email notification last week that the SGM hi cap mags were going to be shipping soon and I had wanted to swap my stock out as well.

Let us know how it turns out. I am very interested in running this setup with a Magpul STR Milspec stock. What is my best buffertube option? Brand wise.

I will def update. My plan is just a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease. I'm very patient. If it starts to seem futile I'll bust out a file I guess. As far as the buffertube, I went with a Vltor shotgun buffertube. Did some research and imo seems like the best. Vltor stuff is pricey but quality. Plus their shotgun buffer tube has a removable cap on it since shotguns can't use the buffer spring and buffer, so wasted space if you get an actual ar buffertube. I might try an enidine buffer tube down the line, but one might effect reliability slightly so wanted a normal buffer tube first to properly gauge the reliability before running an enidine.