Hello everyone. So I ordered a bullet guide for my 7.62x39 and one tapco 30 round mag. I am also going to file the magazine catch on the rifle instead of modifying all my ak-47 mags..My question is if the tab on the tapco mag is the same thickness as the tab on a steel ak mag? So if i go and file the mag catch lever on the rifle to fit the tapco then go and get steel mags i want the steel mags to fit too..like i hope the tapco mags tab isnt thicker to the point where i file the mag catch lever on the rifle to fit the tapco but the steel tabs are thinner? you know what i mean kinda?

please help..

I don't have any Tapco mags, but I would get several milsurp mags and file the catch to fit them as these will most likely be the mags that you will end up with as your most reliable go to mags, I would not modify my rifle based on the Tapco mags alone or hearsay from others. If in doubt, modify this one Tapco mag and wait until you get some milsurp mags before you modify the rifle. The modified Tapco should still work after you end up modifying for the milsurp mags. Otherwise you run the risk of not having the milsurp mags fit properly.

Just my opinion. You know what works best for you.

Hello everyone. So I ordered a bullet guide for my 7.62x39 and one tapco 30 round mag. I am also going to file the magazine catch on the rifle instead of modifying all my ak-47 mags..My question is if the tab on the tapco mag is the same thickness as the tab on a steel ak mag?

No, its not.

So if i go and file the mag catch lever on the rifle to fit the tapco then go and get steel mags i want the steel mags to fit too..like i hope the tapco mags tab isnt thicker to the point where i file the mag catch lever on the rifle to fit the tapco but the steel tabs are thinner? you know what i mean kinda?

please help..

The tapco tab IS thicker. I would strongly advise NOT filing the catch to fit a tapco mag.

I have 4 Tapco waffles, 2 Tapco smooth sides, and 2 steel surplus mags. You will want to file the mag catch to fit the steel surplus. I did that and after wards, only 2 of my 4 Tapco waffles would click into place. The other two were very tight and would not lock. A little filing on the plastic tab and they all snap in smoothly now. HOWEVER, if I had filed the catch to fit the Tapcos instead of the steel surplus mags, all steel mags would have wobbled.

I later purchased 2 Tapco smooth side mags and they clicked into place perfectly, even better than the modified waffles, and are also more sturdy with less side to side wobble. I strongly suggest getting the smooth side mags over the waffle sides, though the price is close enough that steel surplus mags are a better choice if 922r or weight are not concerns.

If you are concerned with being caught with a surplus mag in a non-922r compliant situation, simply remove your bolt and leave it at a friends house. You will not be able to assemble a non-compliant firearm. When you are done filing the mag catch, just keep the surplus mag somewhere else so you cant use it to assemble a non-compliant rifle. I put mine in a box in my dads attic, ill get them out once i get my parts count up.

So after i get the mil spec steel mags and file the catch to the specs of that mag the saiga ones with the smaller tabs will still work good

I havent gotten mine to fit yet, but ive read here that you can modify the saiga mag to fit with the bullet guide. Mine wont lock in for some reason, I havent look too hard but I think i need to modify the saiga mags built-in bullet guide, like file or cut away a portion. But with 20 and 30 round mags, it hasnt been a priority.

Im compliant with US mags, but I think im gonna change my FCG. I have the original russian in the correct spot in my M-Series, but after 500 rounds its still has gritty takeup and a random break point. Scouting around for US made upgrades.

Edited by mostholycerebus

Like canoecanoe says you have to do what works for you. I don’t have any Tapco or aftermarket 7.62x39 mags for my Saiga 7.62 so I couldn’t answer that specific question however I do have the one factory mag that came with it. I filed the factory mag and mag release as per the CSS Youtube video. I suppose if you have aftermarket mags you could do the same for those. Going forward I’m only using the Steel AK mags them w/o any mods. Take a look at the CSS video and careful watch minute mark 4:55 ~ 6:45 which is dedicated to the 7.62, you may find that helpful, I did…

http://youtu.be/Jr9XijAw3e8

When I fitted my feed ramp I didnt have to take much off the mag catch to get milsurp mags (steel,bakelite and drum) to lock in.I also modified my Saiga mags to fit by filing down the front lip to the same shape as AK mags, only needed to take approx 3.5mm off them.

When I fitted my feed ramp I didnt have to take much off the mag catch to get milsurp mags (steel,bakelite and drum) to lock in.I also modified my Saiga mags to fit by filing down the front lip to the same shape as AK mags, only needed to take approx 3.5mm off them.

Thanks a lot man i appriciate that. I thank all of you for all of your help. How much wobble do u have with the saiga mags after you file the mag catch lever? I ask because i have a few of the factory 10 rounders and 4 saiga sgm 30 rounders with the ten round block (commyfornia) and would like to still use the saiga mags.

My Saiga mag only has a small amount of movement, doesn't affect its performance at all. I generally use it when shooting off the bench at my buddy's place, plus we're limited to a max of ten round magazines while hunting here in Missouri.

I have a saiga specific pro mag that I bought thinking I would just use these type, but decided against it. seems to me filing the front lip would give unwanted movement after I file my mag catch to fit my surplus mags. I was contemplating airplane gluing or plastic welding some extra material onto the tab instead. Anyone go this route?

I gently removed a touch at a time off my mag catch with a hand file until the milsurp mags fit tight (at one point TOO tight - couldn't get them out with banging mag catch with heavy instrument). Now, the Saiga mag fits like it did from the start and I can use the unmodified milsurp mags.

The Saiga mag works fine with the BG installed.

I didn't have to modify any of the mags in any way. If I do get mags in the future that turn out to be thicker than the milsurp, I will file those to fit the rifle, but I doubt I will go with anything other than milsurp on this rifle.

My feed ramp sticks out from the trunnion into the magwell slightly,so when a milsurp mag is fitted the feed ramp sits right on the edge of the mag cut-out hence why my saiga mags had to be modded to match a milsurp mag cut-out.My feed ramp is a much modified Tula AK-74 ramp :)

I get no wobble with the filed mag catch/saiga mag combo, due I think to the fact that I didnt take a lot of metal off the catch and the fact that as the rear lug on the mags slopes at an angle the spring-loaded catch will lock on a some point on the sloping face of the lug....if that makes sense :)

Ive got quite a few milsurp steel and bakelite 30 rounders so I actually dont use my Saiga mags,have got two 10r ones gathering dust!.

Edited by richUK

I use a small tap handle like this one, otherwise you risk uneven pressure and snapping the tap, it's difficult enough without using the wrong equipment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HANSON-Irwin-T-Handle-Tap-Wrench-For-Sizes-0-1-4-Adjustable-12001ZR-NIP-/140893823947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cded23cb

Thanks a lot guys..let you know how the bullet guide goes..is there any way i can use the tap without the tap handle..could i rig one up some how?

You could rig it, maybe snap the tap off in the hole, or do it at a bad angle, or who knows what. Then pay someone to do it right. Its a $400 rifle man, just get a set of tap handles. You will need them again sometime, guarantee it.

• Like 1

Thanks for this info. I finally took a look at it last night, and it went just as you (and others) said. Filed the tab at an angle slowly and it finally snapped into place. I got a little wobble, but not enough to be a problem. The 10-round is great to keep around, with a 20-round my rifle barely fits into my Lead Sled and I dont have full range of adjustment without the mag hitting the bottom tubes. The 10-round should give me plenty of space.

Yeah, when your military mags dont want to come out and you have to hammer on the mag catch to get them out, your almost there. Just give the mag catch a few more swipes with the file and they should go in and out flawlessly.

Part of the reason we get wobble is because when the mag tab is moving up the mag catch is vertical. However, when the tab 'locks' into place the mag catch moves forward, opening up a tiny space. The only solution is to angle the top of the mag catch so the lockup remains consistent as the mag catch rotates forward. The angle on the mag tabs help reduce this wobble.

Or do what I do and dont worry about it.

Not filing the mag catch at an angle.........the mag catch was filed down to lock milsurp mags but the saiga mags still fit nicely because the rear tab of the mag is angled.look at how a mag locks into the mag catch and you will see what I mean.