I hope this is not an omen of my day to come.

Nothing, nothing anywhere of the remembrance of this day in history.

Not on the Yahoo, MSN, Hell not even the local news paper front page.

Tis a sad day when this country does not honor the fallen of Pearl Harbor.

I hope to see the Flag of this great nation at half-staff on the way to work.

• Like 2

There is very little of it in the news, had to search for it though. The POTUS did announce yesterday to fly flags at half mast today. My Grandfather's brother is a Pearl Harbor survivor and was on the Raleigh when it was hit, manned his battle station, and was accredited with downing 3 enemy aircraft. Pretty cool story.

• Like 3

It is being recognized locally http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20121207/AIK0101/121209654/world-war-ii-veterans-recall-surprise-attack-71-years-later

We all know the phrase "History repeats itself", that is because people forget. My hats off to the greatest generation for opening the can o whoop ass after getting jumped.

• Like 2

My hats off to the greatest generation for opening the can o whoop ass after getting jumped.

It is great to hear the stories from my Great Uncle about Pearl Harbor as well as the ones when his brother, my Grandfather, was still alive. He served in the Pacific "Island Hopping". They both were so nonchalant about their experiences even when talking about sending a flamethrower up to torch "Japs" in the caves.

• Like 1

My hats off to the greatest generation for opening the can o whoop ass after getting jumped.

It is great to hear the stories from my Great Uncle about Pearl Harbor as well as the ones when his brother, my Grandfather, was still alive. He served in the Pacific "Island Hopping". They both were so nonchalant about their experiences even when talking about sending a flamethrower up to torch "Japs" in the caves.

You should ask your Great Uncle to write his experiences down.

This part of our nations history needs to be preserved and remembered.

A big thank you from me to the great generation of Americans who served in WW2.

• Like 1

My father served in the Pacific -- Guadalcanal and other places. He never talked about his experiences. I now understand why and respect his memory even more. He also always used the term; "Japs". Always.

Less than 7 percent of the U.S. population has ever served in any of the armed forces and it is starting to show...

• Like 2

My father was a Marine who served in Guadalcanal, Okinawa, and China. He passed away at age 89 about 6 weeks ago. We had the Marine flag and military honors at his funeral. He loved the Corp and told some funny stories from time to time but never spoke of his combat experience. As a young man I saw a number of black and white pictures of the piled dead Japanese soldiers in places he served. My son, Matt, will be joining the Marines after he graduates in the spring. I am proud of him but concerned about combat in his future.

The day went well. I did however pass 5 flags, only 2 were flying half-staff, Post Office and State Police barracks.

I pawed through the paper and found Pearl noted in the World section.

I asked people all day about Dec 7th..... It was close to 50% that knew what I was getting at.

• Like 1