WTF.

The thing that makes me most crazy about this hobby is having no control over the actions of others around such dangerous devices. Some people never learn even the most basic safety rules.

True.

What really gets me are the ones who roll their eyes every time somebody brings up safety around guns.

These are the same ones who always seem to have the accidents.

You can't fix stupid.

• Like 1

It's never occurred to me before but gun store parking lots are probably not the safest place to be. Lots of new guns coming out to cars with new owners not familiar with them. Probably can't wait to take it out of the box and load it up and fiddle with it right there, especially the newbies.

• Like 3

Tragedy.

Also, it points out the danger of unneccessary loading and unloading. This guy was apparently taking a loaded gun from the store not in a case, and unloading it in his car, and forgot that he had one in the pipe.

So that makes me think

1. why not leave it loaded and safely in the holster. Does PA have stupid laws or is it just that this guy has stupid practices?

2. If he can't carry it loaded, why didn't he unload it in the range and carry it to the car in a case? wandering through the parking lot with a pistol in your hand seems a little odd- especially if he is also carrying an armload of junk from the gunshop, or his range bag. For me at least, putting a gun in a case is a visual confirmation to myself that it is unloaded. I lock the bolt open and ejection port up, and check each as I buckle the cases.

3. All the various safety rules he violated, obviously he broke at least 3 cardinal rules. chamber check, sweeping, and finger on the trigger.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 3

Tragedy.

Also, it points out the danger of unneccessary loading and unloading. This guy was apparently taking a loaded gun from the store not in a case, and unloading it in his car, and forgot that he had one in the pipe.

So that makes me think

1. why not leave it loaded and safely in the holster. Does PA have stupid laws or is it just that this guy has stupid practices?

2. If he can't carry it loaded, why didn't he unload it in the range and carry it to the car in a case? wandering through the parking lot with a pistol in your hand seems a little odd- especially if he is also carrying an armload of junk from the gunshop, or his range bag.

3. All the various safety rules he violated, obviously he broke at least 3 cardinal rules. chamber check, sweeping, and finger on the trigger.

In PA your pistol can be loaded in your vehicle with a concealed carry permit. Without the permit, the pistol and ammo need to be in separate compartments in the care (Ammo up front, gun in trunk or vise versa)(when you are traveling from the store or to the range)

Long arms cannot be carried in a loaded format regardless

Edited by Saiga Power

Tragedy.

So that makes me think

2. If he can't carry it loaded, why didn't he unload it in the range and carry it to the car in a case? wandering through the parking lot with a pistol in your hand seems a little odd- especially if he is also carrying an armload of junk from the gunshop, or his range bag.

In PA your pistol can be loaded in your vehicle with a concealed carry permit. Without the permit, the pistol and ammo need to be in separate compartments in the care (Ammo up front, gun in trunk or vise versa)(when you are traveling from the store or to the range)

Long arms cannot be carried in a loaded format regardless

...and PA is an open carry state.

I don't think mandatory training would solve anything. I bet this guy has had the same trianing as everyone esle. People get confident and sloppy. Some of the most reckless people I have seen at ranges were ex-Mil. guys. If training was the solution, they should have been the safest.

• Like 2

There is no doubting the tragedy of an unintentional death like this involving negligence. If you could scan all police reports for this date nationwide you'd find who knows how many more with a variety of circumstances. The CDC says that in 2009 there were approximately 323 "unintentional injury deaths" per day in the US. The daily figure since then is most likely close to this give or take a few.

So why does a unintentional injury death in PA get press in San Francisco? There will undoubtedly be such deaths this very day in San Francisco that will go unreported. Why does one 2,700 miles away deserve mention, what about it made the editors at SFGate.com think it was newsworthy?

Of course you and I know the answer. At this point I could get preachy but I won't.

• Like 4

There is no doubting the tragedy of an unintentional death like this involving negligence. If you could scan all police reports for this date nationwide you'd find who knows how many more with a variety of circumstances. The CDC says that in 2009 there were approximately 323 "unintentional injury deaths" per day in the US. The daily figure since then is most likely close to this give or take a few.

So why does a unintentional injury death in PA get press in San Francisco? There will undoubtedly be such deaths this very day in San Francisco that will go unreported. Why does one 2,700 miles away deserve mention, what about it made the editors at SFGate.com think it was newsworthy?

Of course you and I know the answer. At this point I could get preachy but I won't.

Many papers throughout the country pull these of the wire and repost.......just happened to be the first one I read.........

Many papers throughout the country pull these of the wire and repost.......just happened to be the first one I read.........

The point is, a choice was made to run the story because it's "bad news" featuring a demon gun. And yes, the same choice will be made at other news outlets, again, that's the point.

I'm not talking about your choice to post the link, I'm talking about "editors" choosing to run the story.

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 4

The incident is truly sad and deplorable because it could have been so easily prevented. Squishy has a good point about what the press is choosing to cover. I wondered how many children each year perish in their own driveways and found the following website: http://www.kidsandcars.org/back-overs.html

Unfortunately - accidents like back overs, and even deaths from intentional abuse are far more common. One has to acknowledge that we live in a time and place in our culture where the press chooses to ignore one type of tragic accident, and the plight of intentionally abused children, while going out of their way to sensationalize a tragic accident which serves to improperly promote an all too clear political agenda.

• Like 10

It's never occurred to me before but gun store parking lots are probably not the safest place to be. Lots of new guns coming out to cars with new owners not familiar with them. Probably can't wait to take it out of the box and load it up and fiddle with it right there, especially the newbies.

Maybe I weird, but I think about every time I go in a gun store.

• Like 1

Rule One: Treat every firearm as if its loaded!!!

Rule Two: Always keep the muzzle in a safe direction

Rule Three: Only point it at something you intend to shoot

Rule 10: Morons should not own firearms

Sad, very sad. Sure sucks for the 7 year old that he had an idiot for a father!

I know I'm tough but it is the truth.

IMHO

Mike: good point, did you hear the one about the father coming home from the store with one of his kids when they wanted to drive through the leaf piles along the road side for fun and ran over and killed his other kid who happened to be playing in the leaf piles????? That would sure suck.

Edited by Fluid Power

Not much to say about this poor bastard. His stupidy killed an innocent kid, and it was his son to boot. Darwin can be a cruel son of a bitch. Usually his theory applies to the person directly.

Sorry if this sounds apathetic.

I can't help but feel the same way. The gun could have only went off because the trigger was pulled and the only way the trigger was pulled was because of his negligence in proper, safe firearms handling. If you buy a car too fast for you to handle and put it into a telephone poll sending your son through the windshield, no one's going to feel any sympathy for you.

The gun "went off". Typical.

It was DISCHARGED it didn't fire itself.

Typical for SanFagFranCisco.

It was in Mercer, PA. I guess that makes you stupid twice, once for not being able to read, twice for being a hate mongering bigot.

FYI in CA they have a lot of stupid laws, one of the laws that may not be so bad is a safe handgun certificate, the written test is super easy, but they do a safe handling test were you must demonstrate proficiency in handling your pistol safely. It's rare to hear about this kind of accident in this state.

Like they said in the military: It's always loaded, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

It was in Mercer, PA. I guess that makes you stupid twice, once for not being able to read, twice for being a hate mongering bigot.

His comment was based on the article being from the SFGate, not the actual place the incident happend. It was also a correction of the uninformed statement that it, "went off" as if it magically did it, rather than being the result of a complete idiot. I don't think anything patriot said is bigotry. SF is known for gay people and hating guns. Can't handle that?

Typical for SanFagFranCisco.

Like they said in the military: It's always loaded, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

This was the only thing you said that has any bearing whatsoever on this conversation. Otherwise, no one here gives a rats ass how you do things in California.

Edited by libertarian

Typical for SanFAGCisco.

This was the only thing you said that has any bearing whatsoever on this conversation. Otherwise, no one here gives a rats ass how you do things in California.

...but you obviously do. Pack away.

Edited by patriot

Because the liberal media in CA sucks. I live hear so we hear crap like this all the time. It keeps the sheeple in fear of the evil black gun.