Got a couple of Russian SKSs recently for 700 bucks even though I hadn't planned on it. Through second hand information, I was led to believe the seller had some Chinese Norincos. Knowing next to nothing about Norincos (and SKSs in general) I did a quick internet search before going to look at them.

Turns out my studying was useless. Upon arriving at my destination, I was surprised to see six Russian SKSs that had gone through the armory (or whatever it's called) been boxed up and shipped to the US. They had then languished in a safe without ever being fired since the early 90's.

I knew next to nothing about desired collectible condition or which, if any year was more desirable. I do have a rough idea now though and it appears my luck was working at least for one day. I did figure that the ones with original blueing rather than paint would be worth somewhat more and I was right.

To my understanding, the most desirable (refurbished) SKSs are in order....1949 Tula, East German issued, 53 Izzy, 54 Izzy, and 55/56 Tula. I picked the last two out of six available rifles. Am I good, or what?

These two have excellent blueing on them and all numbers match.

I just wish I had picked some lottery numbers on the same day.

Tim

Edited by TacticoolTim

Thanks guys. Wish I hadn't bought that damn Hi-Point 995TS now or I could go snag another one, lol!

I'm not overly good with those infernal picture takin machines but just talked to my daughter in law and she promised to get some within a day or two. The Tula is at my son's house so might be snapshotted first.

Friend of mine picked up an NIB Hungarian SA 85 for 800.00 while we were there too. He didn't get as good a price as I did though. 800.00 seems at least a 100.00 too high to me. Still, it is NIB.....I checked it out.

• Like 1

Oh...thanks Tim..... now I know you picked these up for the same price you can buy a Hipoint 995. That makes me feel loads better! Couldn't you just lie, say you spent more than market value, and make us all feel a little better!??? :)

I sold the only SKS I owned 14 years ago when my first daughter was born for "safety reasons". I loved that gun, and had done alot of mods on it. Got $450 for it in 1998 at my local gun dealer on consignment, which was 4 times what I paid for it in the original cosmoline. Still wish I had it though, and regret selling it to this day. The blueing and stock on that gun was nearly perfect.

Now I am buying guns for Christmas for that same daughter. The irony is thick. Go figure.

• Like 2

Oh...thanks Tim..... now I know you picked these up for the same price you can buy a Hipoint 995. That makes me feel loads better! Couldn't you just lie, say you spent more than market value, and make us all feel a little better!??? smile.png

I sold the only SKS I owned 14 years ago when my first daughter was born for "safety reasons". I loved that gun, and had done alot of mods on it. Got $450 for it in 1998 at my local gun dealer on consignment, which was 4 times what I paid for it in the original cosmoline. Still wish I had it though, and regret selling it to this day. The blueing and stock on that gun was nearly perfect.

Now I am buying guns for Christmas for that same daughter. The irony is thick. Go figure.

A bit more than the Hi-Point. It was 256.00 with tax. These were 350.00 each total.

Sounds like you got a great price for yours, leastwise.

Excellent!!!! Minty tits up Russians for $350. Nice.

Now if you had said you snatched a '49 for $350....... After I choked up, probable puked a little, I truely woulda called you a bastard of many decendants.

Arsenal fresh or black bolt re-man's????

Pics please. :)

Excellent!!!! Minty tits up Russians for $350. Nice.

Now if you had said you snatched a '49 for $350....... After I choked up, probable puked a little, I truely woulda called you a bastard of many decendants.

Arsenal fresh or black bolt re-man's????

Pics please. smile.png

I've really got to learn not to brag without being able to show proof. I am photographically challenged but will do my damnedest to get more talented people to get me some pics. Tomorrow, if at all possible.

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you mean by "Arsenal fresh or black bolt re-man's????". I thought the arsenal did what was needed to be done to bring them up to top condition, painting worn blued ones and not if they were in good enough condition. Reason I ask is that the two I got have white bolts and are blued instead of painted. There may be one more white/blued one, I'm not sure. At least two others are painted and have black bolts. Of the six, all had laminate stocks, except one. I think it was a 53 Tula with a really dark wood stock. I actually considered getting it but the shellac was peeling so I figured it wood need redone. However, it may be an original, not redone. I plan on another trip.

I was smart enough (barely) to know that the laminate stocks were added when they were redone. It made sense at the time because laminate stocks are stronger and so putting them on was an upgrade for a fighting rifle. However, one reason I got the 55/56 lettered Tula was that it had a distinctly reddish tint while the others din't. Now I've found out that some 55/56s were the only ones that came with laminates to start with. I need to check it and see if it may have the original stock.

There was one nice one that I didn't pay much attention to because the stock dust cover had been replaced with one that would (and did) hold a scope. The guy had shot it some but mentioned that it had the original cover too. He also said he had two more at the house so I'll be looking for that 49. I was just too swamped with info to sort everything out.

Why? In addition to the SKSs I was bombarded with all kinds of stuff, including a NIB Hungarian SA 85. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=104402.0

A Chinese clone of such, an old H&K pistol, numerous old shotguns, an M1(?) carbine, old derringers, Hi Standard (?) 22 rifles, a (forget the brand) shotgun that the barrel recoiled on, 9x18 Makarov pistols, and on and on and on. Including a NIB Red Ryder BB gun. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Daisy-Model-B-Red-Ryder-BB-Rifle-NIB.cfm?gun_id=100266913 Wowser! I think I did good to focus as much as I did.

The Russian SKS's Never had blackened bolts. It was only done in Re-Arsenaled weapons. They also stamped them on the stock and top cover with a Square and Slash. [/] Nothing wrong with a rebuild and for $350 it's all good.

Funny..... I keep thinking about selling my SA-85. It's a safe queen and has never seen a round. I can't even bring myself to swap out that stupid butthole stock on it. LOL

The Russian SKS's Never had blackened bolts. It was only done in Re-Arsenaled weapons. They also stamped them on the stock and top cover with a Square and Slash. [/] Nothing wrong with a rebuild and for $350 it's all good.

Funny..... I keep thinking about selling my SA-85. It's a safe queen and has never seen a round. I can't even bring myself to swap out that stupid butthole stock on it. LOL

Gotcha, but I'm assuming mine were re-arsenaled too. However, they still have white bolts and blued finish. I figured it was up to the arsenal to decide whether some stuff could be left alone or not.

My friend bought the SA-85 for 800.00. Rather amusing in that once he saw it, he kept going back to it. Guess I was the same way with the SKSs though. I'm not fond of thumbhole stocks either but knew if you swapped it out you would destroy collector value. That's why I wasn't interested in it at all.

AH! CDI Import, Swan VT. Clean and Restocked. Nice. You didn't do bad on the price getting them at all.

CDI added markings to the right side of the receiver (made in russia, CCCP and thier own serial #) that subtracts from the value of a collectible Russian.

But not as it is.... a refurbished Russian SKS.

I own one... Mine was restocked with hardwood not a laminated stock.

AH! CDI Import, Swan VT. Clean and Restocked. Nice. You didn't do bad on the price getting them at all.

CDI added markings to the right side of the receiver (made in russia, CCCP and thier own serial #) that subtracts from the value of a collectible Russian.

But not as it is.... a refurbished Russian SKS.

I own one... Mine was restocked with hardwood not a laminated stock.

Yeah, I knew the critters were refurbs. I still hope that being a 54 Izzy and a 55/56 letter series both blued instead of painted that they might top 500 in value. We'll see.

Thanks,

Tim