A veritable cornacopia of the ?? Bolt carrier, brake and a mystery gue

im delighting in my spelling errors.

Just so that's out of the way...

Hi, a few questions in regards to the Saiga rifle chambered in 7.62.

I've fumbled about and somehow managed to complete nearly all of an AK conversion.

I really wanted an accurate looking current model Russian issue AK but it needed to be in the 7.62 since all my mags and uh,...spare 6 loose rounds, are in that caliber.

A dilema to be sure.

I found a new Saiga rifle and an excellent-ish Bulgarian 74 parts kit.

Many weeks and several curse words later I ended up with something close enough.

Here's were you lot come into play.

I randomly decided to use the carrier from the 74 kit. For giggles. No, I liked the grooved gas piston better than the Saiga smooth one.

Just curious, is the hang up on the FCG I get using this carrier going to stay?

The factory one has some but not nearly as bad as the Bulgy.

For the record I've retained my Russian bolt as who wants head space issues? Not me.

Just a curiosity thing here.

Lest there be a lack of factual info in this post let it be known Im using a KVAR dual stage trigger. And disconector, etc.. blah, blah.

The appropriate rivet is indeed in place, thank you Agent Lemon for the heads up on that one.

Trigger slap =bad and all.

I'm down to the bullet guide and pinning the 74 FSB and GB.

Lazy, I know.

For whatever reason the bullet guide on my Bulg 74 front trunnion was not attatched.

While it doesnt fit does any one know if it can be modified to fit?

Saves me $18.00 so my son can spend it on xbox games for christmas...

I've a round trunnion on me Saiga and no step down nonsense exists.

The 74 guide is indeed curved as a round trunnion ought but it does have a decidely rectagular protrusion on its underside.

And lastly, why the bloody hell( I really wanted to say fucking hell here, but thought that would be rude) did my safety lever decide to not go in if I installed my KVAR trigger first? Never, ever have I had an issue with this in any of my AKMs but I've always been saddled with Tapco G2 FCGs.

Maybe ive answered my own question there in which case, hey, less work for you, but I'm still annoyed even after several days after the fact.

Cheers and thanks for humoring me.

Cant use the 74 BG without extensive modding. Both the flat underside and the left-side bolt camming assistance ramp would need to be removed. The angle of the BG is also probably not proper for 7.62. Your son can do without one more game. In fact I really want your son to have less games because he is probably one of those kids that yells and screams all over the microphone while I'm playing online.

Oh yeah the Bulgarian carrier will run fine in the Saiga. I used one for a bit in mine. It runs smoother using a Bulgarian or Arsenal profiled hammer. G2 hammer is well known for its severe hammer face profile and tendency to catch/rub on the carrier.

A coulple of tricks for the safety lever.. If rotating the lever forwards when installing, squeeze the trigger or manually depress the disconnector claw to allow the safety lever to clear it. You can also rotate the safety lever backwards to install - this is how it must be assembled when using a FA FCG, but some semi groups may need it too. Just gently lift the lever over the rivets and the safety stop as you rotate it backwards and into the fire position.

Welcome to the wonderful world of figuring shit out. There is an extensive line of vulgar words associated with building AK's and converting Saiga's.

The list does get shorter with more projects under your belt and as the learning curve grows. But, there will always be a select few that always remain.

I used an AK-74 bullet guide in mine (more out of need than anything as couldnt find on here in the UK), but after much modifying to fit (mine has a flat trunnion) it bears no resemblance to the 74 guide it started out as but it does feed flawlessly.I had to cut the sides off, flatten the underside,angle the front face and then keep taking it down with a file until I got to the point where the bolt cleared it and it fed properly.

hmm, i dont know where to start so i'll do this first

thanks all for the responses. some very good info here and as soon as I scroll back up and reread everything, ah, say three more times im sure to be able to respond.

um, I do actually mean that, so no piss taking of anyone here, okay?

off we go then,

Spetz, cheers! not so much interesting as frustrating but i know what you mean. glad to read your bullet guide went well, apparently thats my final task.

Mancat, hello.

Your right, he doesnt need more. however he's not that kid. i know that kid and i too share the pain of annoying lads with mics and seemingly unlimited internet access.

Mines just now being allowed gaming, aside the DSI unit. We got the XBox for his 9th birthday and he has no mic and Im present for his brief online sessions. More for my own sanity as he's Asperger syndrome(autistic) and the general public seems to cause him difficulties.

He may be on to something in that last respect though....

this info should best be read as strictly factual, I got your humor and am implying nothing.

Ahem, right, so the BG is a no go, cant say I'm surprised, I suspected that was going to be the response.

good to know on the Bulgy carrier, i like the looks for some strange reason better than the factory, though the factory has far less hang up on the KVAR FCG.

Perhaps several hundred rounds through would fix this little red wagon... I think that's how that saying goes?

No matter, im pretending it is.

Heres where it might get tricky. i'm aware of those install tricks for the safety lever, though thank you kindly for listing them out.

none of them, and a few other, um.. less conventional? methods worked.

For the first time ever I had to install the FCG, well, trigger portion, after installing the safety.

Vastly annoying, but it all works now so no real troubles. I'm still resentful but such is life Im told.

akastormi, HA! yes sir, i can only imagine the fine vocabulary i'll learn should I ever decide to build a kit and flat.

though i do have this leftover front trunnion and a few other parts left over so....shite. It's going to happen isnt it?

richUK, lastly but surely not leastly, cheers sir!

That's impressive as all fuck!

Christ on a bike man, you may very well turn out to be me own personal hero!

I'd asked the question assuming it wouldnt really work but you've gone and done it!

More work and patience here than I've posession of.

yup, more reveling in butchering your kings language sir!

slan agus slainte!

sorry, couldnt stop myself, the beer, it finds the internal jackass and together they have their evil ways with me.

Thanks for the replys gentlemen.

fortunately the king is not around to take issue with your use of his language

I understand about your son.. I had severe ADD and mild asperger's as a child. I got into a lot of trouble when I was young. Fortunately I've mostly stopped by now.

What is the particular problem when installing the safety lever? I forgot that you may be using the original "shepherd's crook" spring. Is this the trouble you're having? Also I take it you are not in the US and have a normal Saiga that came from the factory with a pistol grip, as well as having the trigger group in the normal location?