recoil pad

I did two. First of all, either can be done in a half hour.

The one I linked above took very little grinding maybe 6 minutes. I just placed the steel plate on it, traced it with a fat marker to give me about an eighth extra overlap all the way around. Then I cut it out with a knife and glued it to the butt plate with black urethande and chucked it in the freezer. After that, it was around 6 minutes on a grinder or sander to clean it up and call it good. I also then smeared a little more urethane around the joint with my finger to make the transition look good, and touched up any paint on the buttplate that the sander scuffed.

I've been stopped at the range by people asking where to buy that nice plate numerous times. IMO: Spending a little effort to fit one that looks nice and fits properly will be more enjoyable for the life of the gun and is far superior for comfort and a quick mount to those slip on "grenade" pads.

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of slip ons are available if you can't be bothered to spend a half hour fitting...

And the answer is low volume and no guarantee that as soon as you make a pad for the popular stock, there won't be a new trendy magpull type company making a new stock that everyone has to have that will not take your pad you spent thousands making the molds for.

I think there are only a few hundred of that AK 100 series poly stock in the country, and most of the people who have it are obsessed with being exactly as issued in whatever military. Those guys wouldn't put anything not OEM on there no matter how much an improvement. They paid too much to have OEM to see that it isn't all that comfortable. What are the odds that more than 5 of them would buy a pad after all that trouble?

Pretty sure there is a factory designed buttpad for regular AK/Saiga buttstocks.

With a quick glance, I could only find a listing for them with our ol Ukrainian buddy Vlad

Soviet-military is his webstore and its listed with several different names, part #'s:

Soviet Russian Army ISZH27 Recoil Pad

57-821

47-821

.....currently 34.95

Ive seen it occasionally elsewhere, maybe 4sale threads on various AKcentric wesites,

so probably just have to search some.

Good luck

Harv

Plenty of slip ons are available if you can't be bothered to spend a half hour fitting...

And the answer is low volume and no guarantee that as soon as you make a pad for the popular stock, there won't be a new trendy magpull type company making a new stock that everyone has to have that will not take your pad you spent thousands making the molds for.

I think there are only a few hundred of that AK 100 series poly stock in the country, and most of the people who have it are obsessed with being exactly as issued in whatever military. Those guys wouldn't put anything not OEM on there no matter how much an improvement. They paid too much to have OEM to see that it isn't all that comfortable. What are the odds that more than 5 of them would buy a pad after all that trouble?

I just want something I could put on a Kvar poly stock and look, fit and work well.

Which one do I get to grind down?

I dont want to spend $40 only to find it has limitations to how much it can be ground down effectively.

Edited by red_cedar

I believe all Kickeez are bigger than that stock, but they have a chart on their website. They are uniform construction all the way through, so the only thing that could cause a problem grinding all the way to the middle is the screw holes. Limbsaver grind to fit models tell you max and min dimensions on their site. From what I have seen Pachmeyer has hollows and steel inserts that will be exposed with very little grinding.

Kickeez makes the best pad across the board in my opinion, and it just happens to be the easiest to modify too.

And why spend $40? I usually see one or two a week on ebay for $6 -12.

• Like 1

No problem. I should quit mentioning these though, because I should be picking up the lowball bids.

Another perk of that brand is that sorbethane doesn't get hard with age like rubber. Kickeez pads from the 80s feel just as good.

• 2 weeks later...