Odd Man Out asking for your opinion to help decide

Hi

Like all of you I am totally pissed off over the massacre of innocents in Conneticut. It has really made me see the writing on the wall = AWB/gun ban acomin folks.

I need to decide on what next to buy and need your help.

I currently have:

Saiga 12: 3

Pistols all .45: 3

Magnum Research scoped .22

I NEED a rifle. My requirements for the weapon is the following:

1. High capacity

2. Able to be used for self defense.

3. Able to be used for hunting -- close to mid distance, nothing long range.

4. It would be a safe queen until a SHTF sit occurred

I do not plan to ever need to "snipe" people

I do not plan to ever go on the offensive with said weapon

The only reason I would ever point it at another human would be to defend my family

All that being said I am leaning towards this weapon:

Just Right Carbine Semi Auto Rifle .45 ACP 16.25" Threaded Barrel 1:16 Twist

It takes 27 round glock mags and would mean I could stockpile only three types of rounds -- in my mind a big advantage. I understand that it is not a long range weapon but if the sit is that people are trading long range shots just to survive, well I guess I'm happy being subtracted from that kind of world.

So, help me out. I need to decide quick. What do you all think of my decision?????

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would strongly suggest a rifle. A pistol is just a tool to get you back to your rifle. I would go with 7.62x39 as it is the most prevalent cheap ammo, wouldn't be that hard to add another caliber.

Slugs in your S-12 are better than a .45 at any range. I would likely not use either past 100yds. Spend the $ on slugs and start practicing! I have gotten consistant 6" groups @ 100yds. with slugs t

I don't think you can beat an AK platform rifle right now.   Cheap and easy to run & maintain. Relatively cheap ammo.   Both widely available right now.     IMO, a .45ACP carbine is kind o

Good choice

Might want to think about an S308, but that is another cailber

Oh I think about all sorts -- S308, FS2000, Kel-Tec RFB plus many others but I am restraining myself to needs only. Time is getting down to the short strokes it seems.

I'd go rifle with a rifle caliber. Gives more flexibility for super close range out to several hundred yards.

Rifle caliber just adds more (different ammo, magazines). Rifle caliber is more lethal at a longer distance but that is not a requirement. A 185 grain JHP out a 16 in barrel will produce the results I need at the ranges that a defensive sit requires. If I was thinking on the offensive side of things, then I would agree with you.

Suggest you get weapon that is chambered for common US military ammunition, as they are all in plenty around the usa, your 45 suggestion fits that bill, i might add. it is uneffective against most modern body armor, even with AP. but the 12 guage will definately knock a target down.

I think you are on the right track.

I under stand what you're saying about keeping the same caliber, but bullet drop would be my concern. Can be a lot getting past 50 yards. You never know when for defensive reason you will have to go on the offense. Remember the old saying the best defense is a gvood offense. Again rifle cartridge would be more flexible.

• Like 1

I don't think you can beat an AK platform rifle right now.

Cheap and easy to run & maintain.

Relatively cheap ammo.

Both widely available right now.

IMO, a .45ACP carbine is kind of pointless.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 3

Slugs in your S-12 are better than a .45 at any range. I would likely not use either past 100yds.

Spend the $ on slugs and start practicing! I have gotten consistant 6" groups @ 100yds. with slugs through an S-12. so why bother getting yet another gun.

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 4

Having a rifle chambered in an intermediate round allows high-capacity and decent distance performance.

Your collection appears to lack any distance capability so a 7.62x39, 5.45, .308 or .223 would be my recommendation. The AR will allow modularity in the future to change calibers if there ever is a ban (you can swap uppers). The AK is already familiar to you. So either of these would be my recommendation.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

Thanks for all the responses.

My philosophy is this; nothing is priced higher than human life. I have seen combat and death. If I could get my family out of the house and let a burglar have his way, then so be it. All my "stuff" does not add up to a life. Only the live's of those I love outwiegh the live's of those I don't know and if both are in the balance then the balance radically shifts. So, given my philosophy, why do I need a weapon that can reach out past 50-100 yards???

Also, If I am confronted with a group of Vest wearing marauders (I figure the Saiga is effective counter for the single bad guy -- 15 round drum oughta keep em down...) Then again I am not sure that I would want to inhabit that kind of world...

Death is not the worst thing to happen.

Slugs in your S-12 are better than a .45 at any range. I would likely not use either past 100yds.

Spend the $ on slugs and start practicing! I have gotten consistant 6" groups @ 100yds. with slugs through an S-12. so why bother getting yet another gun.

Agreed but the S-12 gets to be a bear to lug around for long periods of time (I speculate).

Edited by Odd Man Out

I have hunted with one and it isn't too bad. A shotgun is a better food provider over all, though. If you did need to hunt for sustinance and everyone was in the same boat, Game would quikly become very wary of folks and you would actually need to be hunting @ 200-500yrd distances. It really seems to me, just my opinion, that you are missing a Saiga .308 in your collection. But again adding a caliber.

• Like 2

For anyone who has not been stockpiling since 2008 it may be too late because you are right, IT'S COMING and a whole lot faster now and everyone and his bro has the same idea and has been since the recent election.

Anyway, if you can get an RFB. It is an awesome platform, plenty of power and very compact yet posseses a 20 inch barrel. So if need be you have 500-600M capabilities.

It will be interesting to watch the run on guns-N-ammo in the coming weeks.

I fleshed out my collection with an RPK. Ammo is cheap and plentiful(both foriegn and domestic), some states don't allow deer hunting with any thing smaller(like .223), has more reach than a standard AK, large capacity capable(5nds to 75 or even 100), effective against armor/obsticale, less expensive than an AR, and for me, bullpupable.

For the most part, you can do what you want with what you already have. Redundancy is a great thing, but over reduncdancy is somewhat pointless. Perhaps you should invest in a crossbow as hunting after a shtf with a firearm will just attract attention. Besides, archery seasons tend to be longer in most states.

• Like 2

your .22 is the best overall weapon, btw, as a civilian.

next is the 12g with slugs to an armorer personage.

handgun is next, rifle last. you are on the right thought, go for it. our community is being looked at profusely right now, but i still say that, because that is what i was taught 35 years ago as a little one. i remember when my dad could have bought a number of machine guns prior to 1986, and had a chance, back in the day, and didnt because we were poor.

Well if your looking at something for inside of 100 yds, then the S12 with slugs will do fine. But for possibly having to put food on the table, a rifle may become a much better companion than you may think. I know you dont want one, but we all need to be thinking a bit more realistically at the moment. Id rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, nor have acess to having it. Some really good suggestions in this thread.

• Like 1

I would strongly suggest a rifle. A pistol is just a tool to get you back to your rifle. I would go with 7.62x39 as it is the most prevalent cheap ammo, wouldn't be that hard to add another caliber. A rifle has much more versatility than a pistol caliber carbine, and is also far more effective at any range, even than a .45 despite what hollywood implies.

• Like 4

I'd vote a S308. Can use it to hunt at distance if need be, CSSpecs can supply you "hi-cap" mags, and if you need it in a defensive situation, you could fall back on it. The balistics of 308 SP is incredible and would work for pretty much any game you would be trying to put on the table

I think even just a good old fashioned Bolt action hunting rifle would greatly compliment your current set up. 30-06 ammo is really everywhere.

You are So well covered for your 100yrd and less range already.

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

I think even just a good old fashioned Bolt action hunting rifle would greatly compliment your current set up. 30-06 ammo is really everywhere.

You are So well covered for your 100yrd and less range already.

I am leaning in that direction -- with a good scope...

either that or my evil side is lusting after a FS-2000 or if it could be found a Kel-Tec RFB.

I'm fighting my evil side!