Trigger Group Recommendation

I strongly advise that if you use a tapco trigger group, that you either modify the disconnector, or modify your selector, the vepr rifles and shotguns come with a standard f/a capable selector, which when used in conjunction with a tapco trigger group can cause an accidental discharge when attempting to put the rifle on SAFE.

yes, either a slant cut needs to be put in the back of the disconnector, like the vepr-12 has factory, to allow the selector to swing past disconnector without pushing it forward and releasing the trigger, or the selector needs to be modified to clear the disconnector. Otherwise a rare but dangerous situation can occur, where when the safety is turned on, it can either swing past the topcover, or pop the topcover open, and swing too far causing the weapon to discharge.

I strongly advise that if you use a tapco trigger group, that you either modify the disconnector, or modify your selector, the vepr rifles and shotguns come with a standard f/a capable selector, which when used in conjunction with a tapco trigger group can cause an accidental discharge when attempting to put the rifle on SAFE.

thanks for this information , very important to know this

it is a problem with any safety capable of f/a fire, which is most of them, including krebs. Arsenal's come with a semi auto selector.

here are pics of the difference

f/a selector

akautoselector.jpg

semi only selector

aksemiselector.jpg

the extra material on the F/A selector will push on the back of the tapco disconnector if the selector is rotated upwards past the stop on the topcover, when this happens the trigger is essentially pulled releasing the hammer.

no other trigger groups I know of will allow this condition, and the tapco only does if used in conjunction with a f/a selector

ObiWan - I find the issue of unintended discharge when moving the safety lever too far seriously disquieting. I actually managed to do that with the safety the first time I took the gun out of the box.

I have a Tromix trigger group sitting here to get parts counts correct for big mags. I asked a vendor about this and the reply was that it can not happen. You description however, seems quite logical and understandable. Would it be easier for someone with minimal appropriate tools to change the disconnector instead of the safety lever? Is there another trigger group available that drops in but functions correctly. Many people are still going to need those parts counts for even minimal use.

I use RSA Ajustable trigger from Power Custom for Saiga-12 on both Veprs-12, and sometimes Molot. RSA (Red Star Arms) trigger needs some Safety modification, that can take one hour or so. Modification is not very complicated, and after installation you can adjust the trigger for your needs. RSA Trigger has very good installation manual. I hope the following pics will help the guys who want to install it for Vepr-12.

The Molot and RSA trigger group

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

Adjusting Molot safety for RSA

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

Standard and Modified safeties for RSA

IMG_9496.JPG

IMG_9497.JPG

IMG_9500.JPG

Adjusted (shortened) rivet for using RSA

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

Edited by PapaZorro

Alterney, I just received my tromix group for my vepr and last night based on the teachings of Obi Wan (I've always wanted to say that in context), I used a Dremel to grind down the disconnector. I first put the factory on top of the new one and used a pencil to draw a line to give me a guide on how much to take off. Only took a few minutes of grinding. Works perfect and the safety does not now engage the disconnector and cause the hammer to drop if pushed up too far. Thanks for the knowledge Obi wan.

Shipwreck, you can either modify the factory safety per the pictures above or grind down the tromix disconnector to match the factory disconnector. I chose to grind the tromix part that I installed to keep the factory safety as it came.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, either a slant cut needs to be put in the back of the disconnector, like the vepr-12 has factory, to allow the selector to swing past disconnector without pushing it forward and releasing the trigger, or the selector needs to be modified to clear the disconnector. Otherwise a rare but dangerous situation can occur, where when the safety is turned on, it can either swing past the topcover, or pop the topcover open, and swing too far causing the weapon to discharge.

Did you actually try (test) this on a Vepr-12?

Because I just made 3 Tapco-G-2's fit V-12's and I only had to bring the axis to 1.01" & the hammer's face to .555".

With the hammer held in the sear I was able to completely remove the safety and reinstall it without tripping the hammer.

The safeties on both V-12's I tested on were not modified in any way. Yes, it moved the fcg very slightly when I completely removed the safeties, but still came nowhere close to moving the sear far enough forward to release the hammer, which is what would cause the accidental discharge.

It didn't move anything one bit with normal use.

I'm guessing you tested on rifles or something other than the V-12?

Hi Pauly. I checked mine after Obiwan posted this and my safety would actually rub against the disconnecter and move the FCG enough to cause the hammer to drop when the dust cover was off and I pulled the safety all the way up to remove it. I checked my Saiga and the same thing happened. I made the slant cut in the disconnector on the Vepr and modified the safety on the S12.

Hi Pauly. I checked mine after Obiwan posted this and my safety would actually rub against the disconnecter and move the FCG enough to cause the hammer to drop when the dust cover was off and I pulled the safety all the way up to remove it. I checked my Saiga and the same thing happened. I made the slant cut in the disconnector on the Vepr and modified the safety on the S12.

Interesting variances. Neither of mine did.

Best advise is to check this in your Vepr to see if it is an issue, and if so, prepare your dremel/file.

Yeah, that's damn weird, being as receivers are generally stamped, therefore all the pin holes are cut as the receiver is stamped out, cut & bent, all in one step.

I know Tapco just recently redid their casting mold as evidenced by the new dip under the disconnector cast into the newer triggers. I tested 3 of the new triggers in 2 vepr-12's and came up with slight movement, but not even close to release. They release when the safety's fully removed in the S-12's but not the Veprs I tested on.

Next old style Tapco trigger hook I come across I'll check that to see if that's the variable, or if someone has more than 2 Veprs lying around if they wanted to measure and see if the axis pin holes are set even the slightest bit off between them, maybe they could cue in.
Maybe Molot's drilling them?

That being said, who in the hell completely disassembles a weapon with a round chambered, which is the only way the safety selector could raise up exceedingly high?
I mean, I could see if it's close being an issue on an S-12 with a drunk shooter, because if the RSB isn't milled right, the dust cover could pop up in the front when it's fired with magnum loads and the dust cover released in the front... But the V-12 is secured in the front by its rail, so I don't see it coming off on its own. unsure.png

However, it's unfortunately not uncommon for people to install a hammer backward, so I suppose anything goes.

Rule of thumb, if one's I.Q. is lower than 60, don't mess with firearms.

• Like 1