Bought A Used Saiga 12 And It Won't Cycle

I am new to the site and Saigas. I bought a used Saiga 12 from a gun show and I took it shooting today and it wont cycle. I was on setting 2 and the shells wouldn't eject and bolt would close. I then moved it to setting 1 and the shell still wouldn't leave the gun, but the bolt would get stuck open. I was shooting bird and buck shot, both with the same result. Any thoughts as to what the problem is??? I hoping I didn't get brutally ripped off.

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by kevmo707

Should be fairly easy to fix, nothing to worry about.

Either too much drag or not enough gas, maybe a bit of both.

Take it apart and get to know the parts, nothing to it really.

Clean & polish it up and then try another range session.

Read up on fixes for your specific issues, all of the answers are here.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Spartacus

You need to post more info on the gun.

Is it sporter (no pistol grip) config or converted?

Drag is referring to how much resistance there is to the movement of the bolt carrier.

The more you can reduce the drag, the better/smoother it will run.

did you take the piston out and clean all the crap out of the gas chamber left by the other guy? Clean that out so the puck slides freely then, BUT DO NOT LUBE the puck. You may need to really scrub it out. Once thats slapping around in there then shoot some slug and buck and see what happens

Edited by utahhandyman

1. Clean the gun

2. Check gas ports. You have to unscrew the gas plug under the front sight and remove the gas puck. You may need to poke the puck out with something. Shine a light in there and see how many holes are there. If anything is blocked you are going to need to take the gun apart and drill them out.

3. Polish the bolt.

4. Buy and aftermarket gas plug such as the MD Arms V-Plug or Tac 47 Autoplug.

5. Buy an aftermarket gas puck. I use the Carolina Shooters Supply one.

6. Last resort: Buy a reduced recoil spring.

I did everything up to step five on my gun and it will cycle everything up to Winchester Universal.

Don't buy a low recoil spring. Remove your gas puck, and make sure there is no fouling our carbon build upobstructing your ports. This will require a small wire, such as a paper clip. Everything else its good service. If those other options don't work you'll need to look into enlarging your existing ports or adding a forth. It's not difficult, and plenty of helpful information on the forum here. The low recoil spring will make you gun useless for full power loads,i recommend avoiding it all together.

out of the box Saiga 12c newbie owner here, I have the same problem about not cycling with buck 00 and bird shots at both setting 1 and 2 (screwed all the way in and screw back for setting 1 or 2).

it has a lot of resistance during hand cycles and I can only see 1 gas port from the gas tube -is this the problem?

I really love this bad ass gun, please give me some advice. I cant buy parts for these gun because I'm from aisa and saiga parts can only be ordered abroad (I really need some quick fix) thanks in advance!

I replaced both main springs on mine with softer performace springs, now it feeds bird shot, put a buffer pad in it to be safe.

the problem is, i cant get any supplies for saiga 12c here in aisa easily. are there any solutions which doesnt involve buying additional parts?

YES!! And in many (qualified professionals opinions) they are the RIGHT CHOICE. Instead of dropping in low quality after market parts.

Get the correct amount of gas, this is accomplished by add or enlarging existing gas ports, reprofile your hammer and polisht the bolt and bolt carrier.

HOW DO I DO THIS?!!

Read the PINNED/STICKY articles under the SAIGA12 subforum. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/39881-welcome-new-users-read-this-first/

THEN THE TECH SECTION: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/8856-all-new-members-go-here-first/

So there ya go.

• Like 2

thanks for the great advice! now i will only need tools to do this. hope i can do this smoothly, because there's no room for error here. we have no saiga gun experts here in my country. thanks a lot!!!!

i've seen a vid from youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ISneSqiIg) he just drilled the the barrel without disassembling the gun. will it work on my gun? because from what i've read, we should not drill holes which are not angled towards the bolt. im using 24" barrel

Edited by ogiepampam
  • 4 weeks later...

I replaced both main springs on mine with softer performace springs, now it feeds bird shot, put a buffer pad in it to be safe.

the problem is, i cant get any supplies for saiga 12c here in aisa easily. are there any solutions which doesnt involve buying additional parts?

YES!! And in many (qualified professionals opinions) they are the RIGHT CHOICE. Instead of dropping in low quality after market parts.

Get the correct amount of gas, this is accomplished by add or enlarging existing gas ports, reprofile your hammer and polisht the bolt and bolt carrier.

HOW DO I DO THIS?!!

Read the PINNED/STICKY articles under the SAIGA12 subforum. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/39881-welcome-new-users-read-this-first/

THEN THE TECH SECTION: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/8856-all-new-members-go-here-first/

So there ya go.

THANKS ALOT! the instructions with einstein pic helped alot! mine works perfectly fine after enlargening the hole! i have 3 holes, originally, 2 of them where blocked! thanks again for all the help guys!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528551_2679903692581_912197937_n.jpg

• Like 1