Talk bipods to me

My take on the issue is that there are relatively few places to mount a bipod on an AK that are NOT considered to be a barrel mount. In other words, whether you're attaching the bipod to a handguard, with a barrel clamp, etc. it's touching the barrel and introducing some variation into the equation. Since it's an AK, I don't really believe the bipod is a serious factor when compared to the giant moving hunk of steel that is the bolt carrier assembly.

If you wanted to mount a bipod to a more free-floating location, you can mount it to the forward end of the receiver. This is what a lot of PSL users do. This is a bit more complicated and doesn't make the bipod easily swappable, and interferes with magazine use.

My personal preference for a bipod on a mostly stock Saiga would be to either use the bipod swivel mount, or use a handguard with a rail in order to attach a rail-mounted bipod. Both can be removed fairly quick. A clamp-on bipod really cannot, at least not without tools.

I modified a spare Bulgarian AK-74 handguard to have a sling swivel stud, then used that type of bipod. It worked well. If I did it over again, I would have just purchased a railed handguard and bipod. Modding the handguard to accept the sling swivel was a PITA. Not sure how your Saiga is set up, so I included this as an option if you are using standard AK handguards.

rThps.jpg

I was using a barrel mounted quick detach (QD), but it didn't have a pass through for the cleaning rod. Is that a big deal? I don't know. It didn't feel "complete" to me. I removed it (it was pretty sloppy too. Now I am trying a different non-QD with a pass-through for the cleaning rod. Yes, it's heavier, but also tighter in operation. I'll try it out for a little while longer before I make a "final" decision. My experience so far with a bipod is positive.

I use the sling swivel mount. I just replaced the screw at the end of the handguard with a swivel, bipod bolts right up. Its a caldwell that I have been happy with.

That was the easiest method for me, so I went with it. As mentioned, almost all of them touch the barrel, so might as well go with whats easy. If you really want accuracy you need to do a receiver mount. Dunno how much it would matter though unless you have something like a Vepr or my M-series.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am not tooo concerned with accuracy...first run x39 mostly Saiga here, but want to hit at 200 yards.

I could go swivel mount but ereally don't want to loose my sling mount up there; anyway around this?

What should I lookout for regarding the bipod itself...any features/brands you would like to comment on and recommend (or not??)

I could go swivel mount but ereally don't want to loose my sling mount up there; anyway around this?

Theres all kind of ways I could attach a sling to the bipod itself.

Harris is the best, so they say, and what you want if you have mission critical hard every-day use. Caldwell is a respectable chinese knockoff of the Harris that is built quite well for hobbyist use. I love mine. UTG makes scrappy cheap chinese knockoff of the Harris, for use only rarely and treat with care.

I actually looked at a Caldwell today...looked pretty good. Especially for what I may actually get to use mine for.

Theres all kind of ways I could attach a sling to the bipod itself.

Harris is the best, so they say, and what you want if you have mission critical hard every-day use. Caldwell is a respectable chinese knockoff of the Harris that is built quite well for hobbyist use. I love mine. UTG makes scrappy cheap chinese knockoff of the Harris, for use only rarely and treat with care.