Texas school district to allow teachers to conceal carry.

Found this on another board. Just wanted to pass it along. Its a little positive to think about despite all the recent negative stuff going on.

This Texas school district is on the right track. Maybe others will follow suit.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/14/4486104/texas-school-where-teachers-carry.html

• Like 7

It's an odd thought. I think it is in the right direction, but from a regulation standpoint, where will that stop? Higher education facilities? Corporate or state government offices? What if said CHL/CCL holder goes off the deep end? A student steals their weapon? Ack... all sorts of questions.

I'm for it though.

This plan was proposed in 2008... I had not heard about it.

Edited by Shankspony

Shankspony, if such happens, there will be others there to stop it. Before it becomes a GFZ massacre.

I think that those wanting to get trained and carry should. I also believe that gun safes should be utlized by those dealing with "inquisitive little hands" as well. In schools, a firearm could very much be akin to a fire extinguisher(though more strictly stored) in that you may or may not ever need it. Access to a secured personal firearm may have saved alot of lives the otger day. Esp, Miss Soto's.

• Like 4

I sure hope these goes through properly, and like Venia said, becomes a model for other states to follow suit. I don't find it an odd thought at all. Hell, I can't believe we're just now getting to this point. I would've thought after the spate 1999-2002 series of school shootings this would have been implemented at least in the free states.

There are plenty of ways to mitigate those risks and still use this method to provide adequate security. Simply ensuring that proper holsters and concealment is used would eliminate the majority of concerns regarding retention. Annual evaluations of the participating teacher's mental health would eliminate the majority of concerns regarding them snapping or otherwise using the gun for other than defensive purposes.

Personally, I think any school with <300 students should have at least one armed guard on site... and any school with >300 students should have at least a 2 person security team, armed with rifles and body armor with their sole purpose to react to an attempted mass shooting.

We don't need to have TSA type entry security, razor wire or barred windows. Those kinds of precautions only sway the undetermined. We do need an on-site armed response. That should be without question. Whether we should or shouldn't have to have these sorts of contingencies isn't an argument against them. We can only change the social and mental state of the nation gradually. We must act to protect our children, NOW.

• Like 1

I noticed that too. I was trying to cross refrence it or find some more into it and came across a 2008 posting. I couldnt find anything else recent, so Im not sure if its just a repeat, update, or just went through. I dont know...

Michigan is waiting on the Governor to sign legislature that passed the House and Senate to allow concealed carry in public schools as well (with additional training above and beyond training needed to obtain the concealed pistol license).

• Like 1

It's an odd thought. I think it is in the right direction, but from a regulation standpoint, where will that stop? Higher education facilities? Corporate or state government offices? What if said CHL/CCL holder goes off the deep end? A student steals their weapon? Ack... all sorts of questions.

I'm for it though.

Have you or anyone else heard of a CCW holder going off of the deep end? I never have. Not to say it may have not have happened in the past. If it did, I'll bet anything the percentage is extremely, extremely low. Probably better odds of winning the lotto four or five times in someone's life. When I got my NV and UT CCW's, they did quite the extensive background check and I didn't get my permits until at least 5 months after I passed the 8hr classroom test and target qualification. I think that if a deranged student charged a teacher a struggle would definately engage, giving others more seconds to either flee or charge the thug, which ultimately would give others a much greater chance to live than being cornered by a maniac with lots of ammo and magazines.

I hope like hell that leglislation gets passed to arm teachers and they set up entry and exit way metal detectors in schools. I think they should also give the teachers a paid extensive training course with proficency on the handgun of their choice a few times a year, with simulating a situation involving multiple students with one armed thug.

While I'm at it, lets get rid of the Brady bunch and all the other anti-gun government funded lobbyists and funnel that cash towards buying brand new pistols, mags, and ammo for all the sane (not libtarded) teachers across America! I know more than a good percentage of school teachers are anti-gun. A majority of them are just plain ignorant and uneducated in the statisics of more guns= less crime. They need to be thoroughly educated on these facts initally as part of their training.

• Like 1

Have you or anyone else heard of a CCW holder going off of the deep end?

Media did a good job at making George Zimmerman into a child killing monster.

I'm an educator and believe we do need gun law reform...END GUN FREE ZONES NOW.

• Like 3

I'm for it though.

Have you or anyone else heard of a CCW holder going off of the deep end? I never have. Not to say it may have not have happened in the past. If it did, I'll bet anything the percentage is extremely, extremely low. Probably better odds of winning the lotto four or five times in someone's life. When I got my NV and UT CCW's, they did quite the extensive background check and I didn't get my permits until at least 5 months after I passed the 8hr classroom test and target qualification. I think that if a deranged student charged a teacher a struggle would definately engage, giving others more seconds to either flee or charge the thug, which ultimately would give others a much greater chance to live than being cornered by a maniac with lots of ammo and magazines.

I hope like hell that leglislation gets passed to arm teachers and they set up entry and exit way metal detectors in schools. I think they should also give the teachers a paid extensive training course with proficency on the handgun of their choice a few times a year, with simulating a situation involving multiple students with one armed thug.

While I'm at it, lets get rid of the Brady bunch and all the other anti-gun government funded lobbyists and funnel that cash towards buying brand new pistols, mags, and ammo for all the sane (not libtarded) teachers across America! I know more than a good percentage of school teachers are anti-gun. A majority of them are just plain ignorant and uneducated in the statisics of more guns= less crime. They need to be thoroughly educated on these facts initally as part of their training.

In PA, I got mine due to having a pulse, paying the fee, and passing the background check. No training and to be honest not a whole lotta help or direction as to the Carry laws\rules\regulations.

Have you or anyone else heard of a CCW holder going off of the deep end? I never have. Not to say it may have not have happened in the past. If it did, I'll bet anything the percentage is extremely, extremely low. Probably better odds of winning the lotto four or five times in someone's life. When I got my NV and UT CCW's, they did quite the extensive background check and I didn't get my permits until at least 5 months after I passed the 8hr classroom test and target

No I haven't really. You make a good point. I guess I could say my concern would be more towards the shall/will issue states rather than may issue states (and I'm ignorant as to the particulars of every state out there), but my statement was in general. I'd like to see training required for concealed for sure. I get to do mine on the 22nd. My buddy from WA filled out his ppwk with no training and was issued a permit in short order. TX apparently honors his permit... that's where I get get nervous... no training in a training required state. Bah, it happens with all kinds of certifications though... including driver's licensing and I think that's even more dangerous than a gun for sure. amazing.gif