Are records kept of purchases by FFLs?

Just for curiosity, are records of sales and names kept by dealers? Or do they go into the can after accounting for the cash? I know, I am sure I sound like a real newbie, because I am. The first new gun I purchased was just this last year, all the previous guns having been purchased used or inherited from family.

I am assuming they must keep the records permanently, given what I understand about obtaining a C&L.

The 4473 form is kept in the dealers bound book on his premises. When he give up his FFL or gets "out of the business" they are supposed to send that bound book in to the BATF. I believe it is supposed to be destroyed at that point but I bet it is filed. Not 100% on that last point. As already mentioned, NICS check= on file.

The 4473 form is kept in the dealers bound book on his premises. When he give up his FFL or gets "out of the business" they are supposed to send that bound book in to the BATF. I believe it is supposed to be destroyed at that point but I bet it is filed. Not 100% on that last point. As already mentioned, NICS check= on file.

You have to keep the 4473's for 20 years according to the ATF website.

Tritium is correct as to the minimum that a FFL must keep old 4473 forms on file. Others are correct in that if the FFL closes as an FFL the records are supposed to get sent in. Face to face is all up to the paper work done by those involved and the copies they might have made for the other party.

If the FFL is audited then the ATF looks at whatever they choose to, it can be quick about one thing, or a complete review of everything.

Check the ATF website for more information than you'll ever want to read.

Edited by TARE

Anyone who thinks that the ATF doesn't keep a record of every NICS called in is fucking delusional.

Yeah, but there is no specific information passed along about the purchase. In Kentucky, the state police run a monthly NICS check on every CCDW permit holder, therefore the state doesn't require dealers to run checks on permit holders for gun purchases. That's also the reason KY tops out on all of the 'record setting gun sales' reports because they can only go off the number of background checks.