mag options or follower options

hello all, been awhile for me . anyway I am going to do a conversion on my newly aq. .223 saiga. I am going to add the bullet guide from dinzag(I have done several 7.62x39s) my issue lies with 30 round mags.

here in ny we are only allowed pre 1994 30 rounders. I know the Galil orlites are preban but no one sells them here and no one will ship them here either. I have several bulgarian 74 mags and was hoping to modify them, is there anyone still making/selling a .223 follower? I have read the follower mod thread, but I could just buy some it would be easier....also I have read of guys sanding the top of the 74 follower flat and epoxying a AR15 black follower (with legs cut off) on top and it worked ...anyone done this? thanks for the input.

Many, including myself have tried. Sometimes you can get one to work okay, not perfect. They'll never run right. You'll get jams.

The first 10-12 rounds will feed okay on a full mag but the last few rounds always jam.

I tried everything I could to get 5.45 mags to work back when I first got my .223, 5.56 mags were hard to find. I got nothing but headaches.

Good luck. I think Weiger mags are pre-ban too but few and far between with a hefty price tag.

The closest thing you could find to a current .223 follower that would probably work in the AK-74 mag would be out of a Beryl or Circle-10 mag.

The whole pre-ban thing is a load of crap because there are a ton of AK-74 mags floating around that are definitely not pre-ban, but they have no datecodes so how can you prove it either way?

Want to play the same game they play? Buy a bunch of surplus Beryl mags and call them AK-74 mags. Nobody would know the difference, and some of them are probably pre-ban since Poland had a late-model Tantal 5.56 that came out before 1994 which would've used these mags. The Beryl is technically the "Wz.96" for 1996 so in theory the rifle itself is not pre-ban.

IMO this is definitely one law that I would not even bother following. Don't do what I'm suggesting though. I'm just lashing out with anger because of all the BS swirling around right now about bans. I feel like we're about to get constitutionally fucked and it really deadens my ability to give a fuck about the law when the fed government doesn't seem to either.

Edited by mancat

I get my galil orlites from Numrich Gun Parts in Kingston NY. Give them a call, they have really good customer service. I do not know the laws in NY, but maybe getting them shipped from a retailer within the state would help. Good luck.

yeh beleive it or not, they will not sell to fellow nyers. I do see the wieger mags at the local shows but they are selling for $50 each here. if the galil mags are my best option to work with the bullet guide installed I will take a trip to PA soon and grab a few.

thanks for the help, it's tough living here...but my wifes roots run deep.

The Galil Orilite mags are a good choice.To answer your 1st question, the conversion followers just are plain hard to find these days and other mods are needed to the 74 mags along with the follower to get them to function correctly. If you do not have the RA conversion follower,they will not function correctly, if you do have the RA follower and do not perform the other required mods, they will not function correctly.

I do have some converted mags and they function flawlessly, but they are not worth the trouble,when .223 ak mags are available .

These were a stop gap measure at a time when .223 mags were hard to come by. If anyone has any leads on any of the RA conversion followers, I am looking for a few.

I get my galil orlites from Numrich Gun Parts in Kingston NY. Give them a call, they have really good customer service. I do not know the laws in NY, but maybe getting them shipped from a retailer within the state would help. Good luck.

yeh beleive it or not, they will not sell to fellow nyers. I do see the wieger mags at the local shows but they are selling for $50 each here. if the galil mags are my best option to work with the bullet guide installed I will take a trip to PA soon and grab a few.

thanks for the help, it's tough living here...but my wifes roots run deep.

LOL Sucks don't it??????????? They wont even sell a folding stock to a NY'er. I picked up some steel Galil mags for my 223. The rifle likes all but one of them and that one fall under finicky, sometimes yes sometimes no. With 8 others and the 10 rounder, i'm fine with that.