Changed my FSB!

Ok. After putting off removing my Saiga FSB and installing a Bulgy 74 FSB on my 5.45 for a while, I looked over at my Nike hat and had a revelation. Just do it. So I did. First off let me say that I am handy with tools and do my own work on everything. I also do my own amateur gunsmithing.

I tried something that I hadn't seen posted here for helping to index the FSB. I compared my Saiga base to the new and un-issued Bulgy base. On top right behind the sight tower, on the top rear of the tube part that slides over your barrel, there is a casting mark. This is on both of them and runs down the center.

So I took my automatic punch and put a small "ping" on my barrel right where that casting mark meets. I called that center. When I got the new base in place, I lined up the casting mark with the mark on my barrel and low in behold it is indexed and lined up. I made sure to get the end of the base flush with the end of the barrel. This is where it will stay. Tomorrow morning I will drill the pin holes and finish her up. I have done the full conversion including modifying a Bulgy hand guard retainer to work and have mounted up all plum furniture. After I get the pins in, I am going to degrease her and give her a fresh coat.

I am going to measure the height of the original sight post and set the Bulgy post to the same height. This should have me close enough to start to properly sight her in.

The only thing I did not tackle was the gas block. I am starting to think I should have done that while I was this far... dry.png

'

Ok. After putting off removing my Saiga FSB and installing a Bulgy 74 FSB on my 5.45 for a while, I looked over at my Nike hat and had a revelation. Just do it. So I did. First off let me say that I am handy with tools and do my own work on everything. I also do my own amateur gunsmithing.

I tried something that I hadn't seen posted here for helping to index the FSB. I compared my Saiga base to the new and un-issued Bulgy base. On top right behind the sight tower, on the top rear of the tube part that slides over your barrel, there is a casting mark. This is on both of them and runs down the center.

So I took my automatic punch and put a small "ping" on my barrel right where that casting mark meets. I called that center. When I got the new base in place, I lined up the casting mark with the mark on my barrel and low in behold it is indexed and lined up. I made sure to get the end of the base flush with the end of the barrel. This is where it will stay. Tomorrow morning I will drill the pin holes and finish her up. I have done the full conversion including modifying a Bulgy hand guard retainer to work and have mounted up all plum furniture. After I get the pins in, I am going to degrease her and give her a fresh coat.

I am going to measure the height of the original sight post and set the Bulgy post to the same height. This should have me close enough to start to properly sight her in.

The only thing I did not tackle was the gas block. I am starting to think I should have done that while I was this far... dry.png

'

Sounds like you did a great job on the FSB.

I'm curious on how you modified the Bulgy hand guard retainer.

Edited by Eric D

I modified the bulgy hand guard retainer by first taking a punch and knocking out the lever. Then I took a diamond cut off wheel in my dremel and removed most of the middle from the top. I then cut a slit down each side so that you can spread out the top. This was very tough. Then I snapped it over the barrel, slid it in place, and pinched the two "ears" that you left on the top towards each other. Then I pushed the lever back through the top "ears" and used my widest punch to flare back the far side of the lever.

The last step was to mount the lower hand guard and slide the retainer as tight as you could up against it. I scratched a reference mark on either side of the lever's shaft and then slid it back out. Then I took a round file and started cutting a groove into the top of my barrel testing the retainer. Once I had it cut deep enough that the retainer could be locked into place with very light tapping, but not finger pressure, I felt that it was done.

I saw a pic in this site somewhere of someone who had done one. This was my first hand guard job and the retainer is a little rough looking after my trial and error. I have another one that I am going to do a nicer job on and switch them out. This took me a while because my fine diamond wheel moved very slowly through that hard metal. Also spreading out the "ears" far enough to snap over the barrel was a challenge. I do have to say though. If anything make my Saiga look more AKish, then it was the front hand guards!