Texas AK Mag adaper on an Arsenal SLR-106

I realize that this is a Saiga forum, but it also appears to be the site frequented by the most owners of Texas AK Design's AR Mag adapter. I'm wanting to purchase one of the adapters for my Arsenal SLR-106FR, but I've been told that the process of installation is a little different as opposed to a Saiga installation, something involving modification to the adapter itself. I've contacted the seller himself on this, but the response has been rather sparse on details.

Before I purchase it, I would really prefer to hear from someone who has done this installation in as much detail as possible so that I might know what I'm getting myself into and not potentially ruin the adapter or the rifle itself, God forbid!

Thank you for your help.

I realize that the current threat of gun control legislation has caused a drop in supply, but my reasons on converting this rifle to AR mags is the same of many other owners: SHTF and convenience. As I type I am still able to buy any number of AR mags (steel, pmags, etc.) from several local sporting goods stores and dozens of gun shops in the region. I've yet to see a single Circle 10 or Saiga .223 mag from any non-online source.

Thanks for the suggestion though, bud.

The SLR-106 has nearly identical receiver and trunnion dimensions as the Saiga .223. The adapter will work, just as it works on a WASR-3/SAR-3, etc. Really the only difference between the SLR-106 and Saiga .223 when it comes to magazines, is that the SLR-106 uses an AK-74 spec trunnion, so the locking lugs are a slightly different size, and the trunnion walls are narrower. This just means you may need to fit the adapter yourself rather than following the Saiga guides in regards to where to take material off of the trunnion.

It is sort of nice having a .223 AK in some respects. I went to buy a few more Beryl .223 mags today. They were the same price as they were and still as available as when I bought them first last year. They are cheaper than the 5.45 milsurp mags now. Shortage does not seem to affect .223 AK mags at all.

The cheaper Promag .223 mags are still $10 and I might buy a whole glot of them after Christmas. I don't anticipate them disappearing with any talk of a ban. They are nice beater mags that fit the Saiga and SLR-106 perfectly.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Circle 10 (223) are EXTREMELY hard to find right now. I was going to order a bunch, but the only online place left that still had them was K-var, and I'm NOT buying from them. Their shipping is ridiculously enormous ($21/for 1 mag?? Seriously?.. no way). So I kept with what I know.. SGM's. I do not have a bullet guide installed (but do have one), and figure I can install it and shave the lip off the mags later if I need to. Even SGM's are almost extinct now. Midway, CTD, Brownell's, CSS, ALL out. Some places still had them but wanted.... wait for it.... $48!! Can you believe that?!

I found some left at Mississippi. They day before yesterday they had 197 of them. Yesterday they had 43.

My advice is get WHATEVER ones you can NOW. 223 mags are not a constant flow like x39 mags. When the well dries up, their may not be a chance (due to laws) to wait for replenishment. Just my .02

Edit... just checked. They, too, are now sold out.

Edited by Brian M1

The SLR-106 has nearly identical receiver and trunnion dimensions as the Saiga .223. The adapter will work, just as it works on a WASR-3/SAR-3, etc. Really the only difference between the SLR-106 and Saiga .223 when it comes to magazines, is that the SLR-106 uses an AK-74 spec trunnion, so the locking lugs are a slightly different size, and the trunnion walls are narrower. This just means you may need to fit the adapter yourself rather than following the Saiga guides in regards to where to take material off of the trunnion.

It is sort of nice having a .223 AK in some respects. I went to buy a few more Beryl .223 mags today. They were the same price as they were and still as available as when I bought them first last year. They are cheaper than the 5.45 milsurp mags now. Shortage does not seem to affect .223 AK mags at all.

The cheaper Promag .223 mags are still $10 and I might buy a whole glot of them after Christmas. I don't anticipate them disappearing with any talk of a ban. They are nice beater mags that fit the Saiga and SLR-106 perfectly.

Thank you very much for the info, pal. Sounds like there shouldn't be a problem at all. I too love the benefits of an AK in 5.56. A few friends criticize my "AR-47/AK-15" tendencies, but my response is this: I paid $600 for my AK about 2 years ago straight from Kvar. It's 100% reliable and it can hold its own, accuracy wise, against a number of ARs out to 400-500 yards. For another $100 or so, I can buy the AR mag adapter. So after about $700-800, I essentially have the equivalent of a piston-driven AR ... and how much do those generally go for? The uppers alone can go for as much as $1500! So, I'm quite happy with my decision. :)

• 2 months later...

This thread is oldish, but I've got an SLR-106UR coming my way so I thought I'd update it to point out that the Definitive Arms conversion is on the market. While it's more expensive and is not removable like the other design(s), it adds a last round bolt hold open which makes it interesting.

I have an MSA AR mag adapter in my Saiga. 223 and I was considering the possibility of the D.A. conversion on the SLR-106UR. Has anyone seen one of those converted for AR mags yet?

Edited by veritas_vincit
This thread is oldish, but I've got an SLR-106UR coming my way so I thought I'd update it to point out that the Definitive Arms conversion is on the market. While it's more expensive and is not removable like the other design(s), it adds a last round bolt hold open which makes it interesting.

I have an MSA AR mag adapter in my Saiga. 223 and I was considering the possibility of the D.A. conversion on the SLR-106UR. Has anyone seen one of those converted for AR mags yet?

Yes. See the "Saiga AKAR evolution" thread (although not specifically a SLR-106UR, but I'd bet they'd be happy to install it on that too)..

Edited by Brian M1
It was posted on a thread somewhere/elsewhere that they are doing them on SLR106's.

By the way, a Beta C-Mag doesn't fit into the MSA adapter. The drum hits the side of it before it locks up. Supposedly the DA conversion doesn't have that issue. Can anyone confirm that?

Check with them directly.

I believe I've seen affirmation somewhere.

I went with their conversion and never looked back.

If I had 7.62x39 (next on the list), I'd never change a thing, as those mags have littered the world enough not to be concerned about supply.

With 4 Millions ARs in this country and countless number of AR mags in possession by private owners (and feds), I feel fine.

I've done my share of fitting and filing, trimming and rimming, etc on all sides (mags, receiver/trunnion, and removable adapter) in my past.

Now I just pop ANY standard, off-the-shelf STANAG mag in my straight-out-of-the-box "black rifle", and rock'n'roll.

And I also gained LRBHO: charge it once and keep it running.

...Just got my backordered PMAGs from Botach Tactical: 30-rounders with windows for $14 each and free shipping.

Shortly before that, USGIs for $8 ea and C-Products for $12 (thanks to friends in the industry).

No offense to anyone: any way is a right way, as long as it works and keeps you feeling good about.

Happy Shooting!

Edited by Sgt. Raven

As I said before in one of the DA threads that got deleted, there's a market for both adapters. The MSA adapter is great for the DIY guys. It also adds some versatility being able to remove it and use the original mags.