Meprolight AK-47 Tru-Dot Night Sight Set (AKM pattern)

These came in, the rear sight is too long and rests on the hinge of the dust cover. Bummer, as the sights are (IMO) a big step up from stock sights. Hoping returning them will not be a hassle.

Anyone else using aftermarket sights? I'd really like a night sight alternative to the stock set.

XS Big Dots were on my radar as well, but the rear sight might be too long as well. I may give them a call soon and report back here.

I also contacted Texas Weapons Systems regarding a VEPR-12 dust cover/ rail, and they replied:

PN 32310 will not fit your VEPR 12. We will be introducing a rail specifically for the

the Saiga12. We will look into the possible fit on a VEPR12.

Once we are in production, we will contact you and confirm the fit on a VEPR 12.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Regards,

Mary

TWS

So another option would be to use their railed cover and peep sight with a tritium front sight. Again, I'll report back so the rest of you shotgun-heads can accessorize your new toys wink.png

i know tws probably knows more about it than me, but i thought a while ago, that while the mounting system is different, the tws rail is two pieces, and i dont see any reason the dust cover itself cant be cut to work on the vepr12 or saiga, and the front, mounting piece, cant be replaced with a mod that would allow it to mount to the vepr block. I donno, maybe there is something i am missing... Other than the magic front rivet, that is still doable.

let us know what you find out about the xs sights.

• 2 weeks later...

To remove the original drum, I put some WD40 on one side of the drum, let sit for a few minutes, and did the same with the other side. I was going to do an overnight soak, but got impatient and used a tapco AK tool. I applied extra torque via locking wrenches on both sides of the tool's rod. Heard a snap sound and thought I broke something, but I guess it was the drum starting to move. Tapped out what the tool could not reach, and bam, no more stock drum.

Screwed in the front sight to make sure it fit and chose that orientation as "up" (per the instructions), removed the front sight, and prepared to install the new drum.

Tapped the new drum in, and then used the tool the rest of the way. Started to thread the front sight, but couldn't. XS Big Dot threads cross threaded (or stripped, not sure what the proper is) and will not install on the drum. Bought from Brownells, and they have a 100% guaranty, but I emailed the folks at XS to see if they are willing to replace the sight. Until then, I'll be front sight less.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to take another break. I will update when I get word.

ETA: Rear sight is elevation adjustable.

Edited by Qeth
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on the AK Big Dot:

Picture is a bit difficult to see, holding the rifle with one hand and a phone in the other under less than ideal lighting does not make a decent pic. Initial impression: very quick target acquisition. For a shotgun, I think it'll shine. No tests done yet, I just installed it.

20130116_180127.jpg

Edited by Qeth
  • Like 4