Ok, first off, I don't want this to be dragged into the 'yes there will be a ban', 'no, a ban is not gonna happen' and so on. There are plenty of threads for that.

But what I DO want to hear, is if there is a ban/when the ban hits, what parts should one stock up on? I was not an 'evil black rifle' owner during the last ban, so I am not experienced with that era, as far as weapons go.

BUT...I am now the proud and happy owner of a few weapons that will absolutely make the list should/when the bans hits. I realize it is VERY dependent on how it will be written, but what items would be advisable to have spares on? I have a total spring kit for both my AR's, extra firing pins, and loads of extra mags with extra springs and floorplates. I have not gotten anything for my S12, and have not yet taken possession of my S308 yet either. I have loads of mags for both.

But... what about things like barrels? bolts? and so on? Would they be available individually? or are they seriously at risk of banned too, in the hopes that if a ban happens, without an end date, they hope things will break and not be repairable?

I'm pretty new to the AK platform, so I'm sure I'm behind the curve for getting spares. But what is advisable to have one of? two of? tons of?

And I'm sure everyone jokes about the tinfoil hats, but I wish I had a photo from a house we went to awhile ago for a call. I kid you not, every square inch of the place was covered in foil. not a milimeter of area was not covered! Floor, stairs, walls, ceiling, even the insides of the tub and the toilet seat. And yes, the caller had a foil hat on... (but our radios still works from inside)

depends...if it's an import ban, then you'll be in more trouble. There's not too many manufactorers of US made AK parts other than compliance parts.

On the plus side, after years and years of no AK's breaking, the people who may try to sell these parts at a much higher rate will drop their prices, but you still won't need them.

Edited by jbanzai

If it is a mirror ban of the 94 one, don't buy anything. Saigas and AKs will still come in, they will just be neutered. So if you have one and something breaks, you will be able to still buy them, just not with the features you like. Remember, in the first ban SARs, WASR 10s, and a few other neutered Aks were still available. Hell, stock up on single stack WASR 10 rounders if you can, since if there is a ban, those will likely be the first mass imported ban compliant AKs for cheap

Saiga's already are neutered. I would expect a ban on all foreign military type weapons, all Russian ammo as well as internet ammo sales. I suspect we will get to keep what we have, may or may not be allowed to sell it as 'pre-ban', and 922r will be more closely scrutinized. I think future ammo will be so cost prohibitive that replacement parts will be a small concern in comparison.

And I'm sure everyone jokes about the tinfoil hats, but I wish I had a photo from a house we went to awhile ago for a call. I kid you not, every square inch of the place was covered in foil. not a milimeter of area was not covered! Floor, stairs, walls, ceiling, even the insides of the tub and the toilet seat. And yes, the caller had a foil hat on... (but our radios still works from inside)

That's hilarious! It should be mandatory for everyone wanting to reside in Alaska to have to tour this house first. Before they enter they read a sign that says, "Alaska, you're a little crazy for coming and a whole lot of crazy for staying."