Saiga .308 now having failure to feeds more frequently.

Not sure what is up with this gun. Have a serious love/hate relationship with it.

Went to the range a few days ago with four SGM mags and one Promag, all high capacity 25 and 24 rounders, respectively. Using wolf ammo with has never given me a problem ... after my second magazine nearly every round is a failure to feed. I am attaching a picture below ... I can't figure it out. I have one magazine that seems to feed reliably and the other four are all having issues but I can't find any real difference in why they would be doing it after taking them apart. The gun is thoroughly cleaned, cycles just fine ... Often I can clear the failure to feed just by pulling the charging handle back just a little ... the round will then pop into place. Thoughts?

I should mention I have used all of these magazines reliably in the past and I can't figure out if it is a gun or a magazine problem.

post-42575-0-86846100-1356240225_thumb.jpg

Your rifle is dangerously defective and must be sent immediately to my FFL at:

Law Enforcement Sales

520 North H St.

Fremont, NE 68025

He will take it off your hands, free of charge.

Dadburn it, ya beat me to it.
  • Like 1

Could be a few things.

Magazine springs reversed, does effect things just a little).

Lack of pressure in the ammo.

Hammer spring out of place, stops the bolt travel.

Use of a stock Tapco hammer combined with the above.

Something to check would be your gas port, its possible the sealant in the ammo has that slightly plugged, a stiff pipe cleaner helps.

• Like 3

Could be a few things.

Magazine springs reversed, does effect things just a little).

Lack of pressure in the ammo.

Hammer spring out of place, stops the bolt travel.

Use of a stock Tapco hammer combined with the above.

Something to check would be your gas port, its possible the sealant in the ammo has that slightly plugged, a stiff pipe cleaner helps.

The picture was taken while just cycling by hand. That seems to suggest most of the problems you listed with the ammo would be eliminated. I do have a Tapco G2 FCG and, assuming, a TAPCO hammer. I'm going to try to investigate this hammer spring and TAPCO hammer theory further. Also will be buying one of your mags after Christmas if I can get this issue resolved so I don't lose my mind!

Edited by Kaelic

Not to state the obvious, but it appears that something is preventing that round from getting "stripped" from the magazine by the bolt as it moves forward.

Take off the dust cover, recoil spring, and remove the bolt and bolt carrier. Make sure the bolt does it's twist within the bolt carrier like it should just from pushing it forward with your hand. If that all looks good, put the bolt carrier, bolt, and recoil spring back into the receiver and view the movement of the action within the receiver by cycling. Go one step further by putting a spent shell or two (NOT live rounds) into both your good and suspect magazines and once again imitate the operation of the firearm...just looking for anything getting hung up or not doing what it should.

you can't cycle the bolt with a empty case, the case mouth will hit the bolt.

Damn I'm bet you're correct I just assumed that you could...

Maybe you can fit an empty brass into the bolt while it is in the bolt carrier but outside of the receiver, then fit it into the receiver?

Forgive me for giving incorrect information...most of the the time I don't have my Saiga in front of me and in this case don't have any empty brass on hand (when I do I want to give this a try for myself). I was trying to give the OP some ideas...diagnosing failure to feed and/or fire issues on any semi-auto is a steep learning curve unless you're a professional.

• 1 year later...

Get a factory 8 rounder and re-test. If it works with that, you'll know your problem is the crappy magazines you are currently using.

I'm with him.  When in doubt, run a factory 8 rounder.  If it gives you problems too, it's the rifle.  

After almost 2 years of waiting, Kaelic can finally move on with his life.  ph34r.png

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Well, I might have some light to shed after some receent testing.  I sent about 500 rounds through 4 promag 24 rd.  Why I spent $200- in ammo to test $100- in mags is beyond me.  I have 3 20 rd CSSpec mags that function well.  I thought I needed sompoly mags for high condensation extremem cold.  Turns out the metal mags are fine if cleaned and oiled in any condition.  But I digress.  I had the EXACT same FTF that you showed in your photo.  1 st with only 1 promag primarily.  So I took them apart, sanded the folowers, sprayed them with dry teflon, etc.  I just could accept it.  They had one pretty successful trip the range,.  Then the last time, they all started doinf the same FTF. No issues with the CSSpec mags nor the 8 rd OEM.  There could be some issue with the gun.  But all indication points to crappy mags.  One thing I noticed, with the promags, when you looked at a loaded mag (out of the gun) from behind, you could only see about 1/4 of the case sticking up.  In the CSSpec mag you see 1/2 the case sticking up.  I don't think there is enough area for the bolt to purchase the round on the prospec.  I could dremel it down and weaken an already iffy mag.  Or I could toss them in the extras box and use them to get a few bucks more if I ever sell it (never).  Simple solution.  Buy CSSpec mags and keep them clean and lubed.  I could have bought 4 more CSSpec mags for what I spent trying to test this garbage.  And I know there are guys who havent had issues with promags.  Yet.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

One thing that occurred to me while glancing down this topic.. Did anyone ever check the springs in the magazines themselves.

I had a customer call a few weeks back and say one of his magazines was giving him trouble, ended up not being one of mine, but I suggested checking the spring as it was generating bolt over jams (as in the OP). Sure enough the spring was knotted up, it had just enough tension to load and hand cycle but did not move fast enough to beat the bolt. I think he ended up getting it taken care of under warranty replacement.

I do have extra long springs that we bought for a future project, they are five coils longer than our normal springs (20 instead of 15). Not sure if they would completely solve the problems, but it could help. Shipping is kinda half added into the pricing as they are really long.

http://stores.csspecs.com/long-replacement-springs-5-pack/

• Like 1

I do have extra long springs that we bought for a future project, they are five coils longer than our normal springs (20 instead of 15). Not sure if they would completely solve the problems, but it could help. Shipping is kinda half added into the pricing as they are really long.

Music to my ears. 

• Like 1

One thing that occurred to me while glancing down this topic.. Did anyone ever check the springs in the magazines themselves.

Yeah.  I have some original FBMG mags that would fail to feed due to not lifting the next round up fast enough.  When Uinta came out with their mags, I bought their internal parts kits for my FBMG mags, which cured the problem.

Music to my ears.

indeed..