7.62x39 ballistic tip

Well, its gotten to be about that time of year in arkansas, and i plan on taking a deer with saiga this year. I was wondering though, i see a lot of comments about the x39 soft point rounds, and i have some, but have never hunted with them. Has anyone has experience with the x39 ballistic tips. I have used ballistic tips for a long time in my Rem 742 .308 and have had great success with them. But i dont hear much about guys hunting with the x39 ballistic tips. Got any feedback??

thanks

HOOP

anyone.....any takers???

i found some that are made by georgia arms, but at a cost of almost $30 to get em to me, id like to know if they are worth the extra $$$ as opposed to sdpending $12 on SP at wally world

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/Images/Ammo/A002.15.htm I bought some from these guys not too expensive ammo is pretty great (they are reloads) expect some slight discolorations on the brass I wish I had some balistic jello lol

Thanks man. Good lookin' out. Dont know how i missed those. Much cheaper than the other ones i was going to buy. Hopefully one of em is gonna be killin a dear in a couple weeks. Thanks again

HOOP

........Ballistic Tips for Deer! Don't recommend it all. Aside from the fact the lower velocity of the 7.62 x 39 is at the low end of speed the bullet is designed to perform in, and the fact much over 50 yards your in a bad terminal ballistics status, and the fact you may end up having to frag Bambi most of the magizine contents, and you like tracking a lightly wounded animal over all manner of hill and dale and briar patch, and you enjoy the bits of lead, polymer and copper peppered in the animal's carcass, it's a great choice-lol To be honest I've now hunted deer for two seasons and the el cheapo 154gr. softpoint works fabulously on Bambis and smaller hogs.........

Dannytoro: Did you recover any of the 154 gr bullets? Did they expand? Hoop7.62: All of the commercial soft point loads are made for deer and I havent heard any complaints about any US made rounds. The American soft points are made specific for this rounds velocity and should work OK.

Dannytoro: Did you recover any of the 154 gr bullets? Did they expand? Hoop7.62: All of the commercial soft point loads are made for deer and I havent heard any complaints about any US made rounds. The American soft points are made specific for this rounds velocity and should work OK.

.........I've never recovered one. They leave a nice 1/2" exit hole and normally plenty of blood to follow. So far the furthest any critter has gotten was about 75 yards away. Most fold up after about 10-20 yards. Not bad for a dirt cheap Wolf round. The only complaint is I wish they were more consistent and grouped a little tighter. At 150 yards some groups run 4-5" sometimes, but usually manage 3-3.5" groups, which is fine for deer........We did give them the Atlanta phonebook test, and normally would go eight deep, which was surprising to me. They do sometimes lose their jacket though, but normally make quite a nice half mushroom with peeling jackets.......

i have used ballistic tips rounds for years. My father and I have taken half a dozen deer with them...and we have never NOT dropped one where it stood. To be fair, these were taken with a 308, which is more powerful that the x39, but it has made me a firm believer in the ballistic tip rounds. I never go in the woods without em.

The first doe i killed was with a 308 ballistic tip. I could fit my entire fist in the exit hole left by the bullet. At that point i was sold!

I have never had any problems with bits of lead, polymer, or copper in any deer i have killed, nor has any one i know.