Feeding frenzy doesn't include Saiga's??

Went to my local gunshop Saturday morning to watch the feeding frenzy. No AR's left, one thumbhole AK of some kind on the wall, no AR upper's of any kind, no ammo, and no magazines! Wall to wall people. What was surprising was that they still had 6-7 Saiga's. They had a couple of 20" bbl'd rifles, the rest were 16's. I don't know what calibers they had, I couldn't get close enough to ask, and since I wasn't interested in anything at the time, didn't bother to find out. I found it interesting that no one seems to know what a Saiga is and what can be done with them as far as converting. I had him order a shotgun a month ago for me and he got 2 others to sell in the shop. Both of those were gone but not any rifles. Odd that no one is interested in these yet.

Probably had super high prices. Went to a gun show Sunday and the only .223 Saiga there had an $899.00 price tag! A .308 was $1200.00! These were bone stock.Some shops here that still have them are selling them for around $550.00 but I havent looked in the last week or so.

• Like 1

High prices are a possibility, but he hasn't had them priced near as high or even close to the AR's normally. He's not the type to do it, but if he raised the prices on them, he surely would have on the AR's too. But they're gone! In this area most people don't know what I'm talking about when I start telling them about my Saiga's.

It is simply incredible . I bought my Saiga .223 20 inch barrel in Feb of 2011 ... It cost me $349.00 with $10.00 S/H . I converted it myself for another $300 or so . I added a folded stock , Zahal grip , bipod , bayonet , side mount and a CQB CMR iluminated , range finder scope ,(the cost of the side mount , rings and scope is extra) etc etc . I wonder how much this rifle will fetch today on its actual configuration ... lol . I have around 250 rds shot on it , no bullet guide since I only use Surefire mags . I never had a single problem and it is as accurate as my AR-15 . It is truly a beautiful rilfe and a tack driver

003-70.jpg

005-60.jpg

Edited by josey88
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I found it interesting that no one seems to know what a Saiga is and what can be done with them as far as converting.

I didn't know what a "Saiga" was until I saw one at my LGS about a month ago, and educated myself about them through much internet research. I had just never been interested in "black guns". And I didn't buy my Saiga 223 Sporter to convert it. I like it box stock, just the way it is. Although she now wears a Sure Fire 30 round mag and a Tapco handguard to be 922 compliant. I like the stock open sights (don't have optics on any of my guns), and I even like the mediocre trigger (which really isn't "that" bad). She'll do everything I'll ever ask of her and then some. What a fun gun! ! ! Oh, I also installed a stiffer recoil spring so the cases wouldn't get dented, and jury rigged a little piece of rubber on the ejection port. I'm a reloader.

Don <><

Edited by genesis5521

As far as not knowing what a Saliva is... I had no idea until I bought mine too.

Around me though, Saigas are not immune to the inflation. On my local board a stock 7.62 was listed at $1100 just recently went down to $850.