S410 Chokes..One ported one not

What is the diff between the Ported 410 chokes...& the one that is not ported??..One is marked #3 as in Full..the other is ported but not marked...But measures the same...One came on a S410 still marked as a Kalskinoff..the other is same only withy the K markings stamped over it.....95 manyfactured wo the 1 & 2 Adjustments..

Thanks

Stay Safer!

I have asked this same question a few times before. Mine is the one with the ports and is full choke and came on my 94' K USA S-410 which has no 1 and 2 gas adjustment. You may try emailing or PMing Ja. He knows a lot about the older Saigas.

There is no difference aside from the ports as both are full choke. Comparing the choke on my Saiga 410 imported in 1995 side by side with the #3 choke in the 2002 dated choke set I got from EAA. Apparently Izhmash eliminated the ports some time in 1998-1999 when EAA took over import of Saiga's from Kalashnikov-USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time lurker first time poster. I have a 410 I bought in 2000, my chokes are not ported, but you may want to do some testing with those chokes.

You will most likely find that the ported choke gives tighter patterns than the same choke without ports. By letting gas escape through the ports, behind the wad, it slows the wad to help ensure better seperation of the wad from the shot column. So it does not blow through the center of the shot pattern or cause "flyers".

This is true, regardless of what size choke is being used. So the end result is a denser pattern in the center of the shot. I would be interested to see you test it.

That's a good point Zoub :smoke:

Welcome aboard. Please join in more often. We need more people with some sense posting around here. Ja or StarLynxthat does sound like a good idea for someone like yourself who has both kinds. I would do it but I only have the ported one. I wonder if it would have a different effect on shooting slugs? If the wad or shotcup is the same size for the shotshells as it is in the Barnaul slugs then the ports may not make that much difference because the constriction of the full choke itself slows the wad. If you shoot the Barnaul slugs through the screw on full choke you will see what I mean. Unscrew the choke tube and you will find plastic shavings inside from the wad. I assume that's what that stuff is anyway. This probably slows it down some but I still find the wads downrange at least 20 yds and sometimes find them sticking out of the paper near the hole from the slug. I'm sure the slug gets there first though obviously. I have since stopped using it when shooting slugs and I think accuracy has improved.

saiga410slug7ex.jpg

As you can see the slug is enclosed in a sabot with a seperate wad.

Which of the 3 pieces do you find stuck in the target?

How far away is the target?

Shooting the Barnaul slugs at a target at 50 yards I find the wad and sabot on the ground about half way to the target.

Sadly, I have shot my 410 very little. I saw it and I knew I had to buy it. For under $200 at the time how could I not?! And the 10 round mags sitting next to it pushed me over the edge.

I knew I would eventually get around to making this gun go. My real interest is in slugs. I would not shoot slugs through the full choke, no benefit to doing it and it may affect accuracy. The barnul slug looks interesting for what I would like to find..............a screw on choke that has rifling to put a spin on the slug.

Remington made a similar choke to convert smoothbore barrels for sabot shooting, but it was only in 12 gauge, maybe 20.

Probably a cluster F--- of an idea, but I had to put it out there. If the Ruskies were porting the choke tubes, they may have made other accessories to increase accuracy or flexibility of the gun.

PS on the ported choke tube, run your finger inside it and see if you feel any sharp tabs. The tabs will also slow the wad. They slow the wad and stop the spin also. This could be counter productive on shooting slugs if the tabs are in there.

Remington choke tube

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4253110

Edited by Zoub

I just got a factory Izhmash slug choke for my .410

It's called a "paradox" choke and has rifling built in. they make them in two different lengths. I have the shorter 3" one that has 2 1/8" of rifling. I'll post results as soon as I have a chance to try it out.

It's called a Paradox?

That could be good news. My 12 gauge rifled barrel for my 870 is a Paradox AKA a Hastings rifled slug barrel, made in France, I have had it since 83. If Hastings made the tube, it will be good. Where did you get it from?

Edited by Zoub

I am thinking of getting the wife a paradox for her S.410. Let us know hoh the shortie works , Cobra-I don't have the foggiest notion wether I want to get the short or long. Also where did you find them?

The S.410 with a paradox should make a great short range brush gun for varmint and game up to deer sized.

G O B

I got it from Dmitry aka m_gun in Russia. One of his buddies who has both recomended the shorter one. I have read a report on these somewhere on the Valery Shilins Gun Club site. I will try and find it and post it here. Dmitry found this one for me special, I don't know if he offers them for sale on GB where he sells his other stuff. Acca47 hasn't posted here in awhile but one time he offered them to us as well as the S12 paradox chokes. I have one of them too but I'm not really that impressed with it so far. I think they are supposed to work better when you are using regular "pumpkinballs" or non rifled slugs.