V12 magwell removal?

Trying to install an extended mag release/catch and the magwell is making it a PITA to reinstall the spring.

Look like there is a square head bolt/screw that attaches the front of the magwell to the receiver with a "nut" of some sort that threads over it to capture it in place. How do i go about removing that "nut"?

The proper way is to take a flathead screwdriver you don't love wide enough and cut a notch out of the center of it so it will go over the screw with some clearance to unscrew the nut. Mine wasn't super tight so I was able to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to carefully place into the slot and twist to unscrew. Put blue loctite on it when I put it back together and it's been GTG since.

Edited by Echomaker
Or get a set of security screwdriver bits

Yep. I realized that after i got it all put back together. I just used an AK cleaning kit punch and tapped the nut around til it came off.

It was kind of a PITA to get the latch spring back in, even with the magwell off. A cut Q-tip worked the best at keeping everything aligned (thanks CSS). The small alignment piece RAM sends with their latch is pretty much useless.