Same ol', same ol' II

Some sort of problem with the original thread. For one, I was the only one responding to it.

I'm 70 years old and wear trifocals.

A month ago in Arizona I fired a Weatherby .30-06 with a scope. The way the scope was set, I had to get down in there close to find a picture not infringed by the black. The rifle kicked back and the scope ring caught me in the bridge of the nose. Surprised the hell out of me.

You could say I didn't have it held tight enough into the shoulder, and that may be the case. But a few minutes before I fired an old lever-action Marlin in .45-70 at 75 yards and put a round between the 9 and 10 rings on the second shot, iron sights.

Handed it over after that. Talk about kick.

What I'm looking for here is advice on an aiming aid, specifically for old phuques with specs. I'm happy with iron sights as far as they go, which for me is 100 yards, MOA all in the black. But I'm asking for advice on how to enhance that. Range (re: 600 yards-plus) is one thing, and to maximize that I need a scope. Sight picture is another. Much as I know, one is not both. If any of you have had the same sort of problem, what's worked for you?