Brand new saiga..does it need to be broke in

Hey guys so i just converted another Saiga 7.62x39 and it turned out beautifuly. What i was wondering is does the thing need to be broken in and the reason i ask is because as the piston makes it way into the gas block it kinda stiffens up. I think its because the piston is still stiff and hasnt loosened up yet as they do after about 500 rounds or so. I hope I explained this good enough for some good input. Thanks.

is it getting "stiff" where the bolt carrier rides over the hammer? It is normal with the tapco hammer due to the hump they put in it. You can polish the surface of the hammer where the bolt carrier rides over it and the bottom of the bolt carrier if you want. If not it will smooth out with use. The more you shoot it the smoother the action will get as the metal surfaces mate to each other.

no not when it rides hammer. when its about 3/4 of an inch away from locking into battery. I shot 300 through her today and it seems better. the piston was rubbing the top of the gas block when i have a full mag in the gun. the bullets push up on the carrier causing the piston to rub the top of the gas block inside. And yes the gas tube is locked all the way down.

It will smooth out once the rails and top of the bolt carrier, piston and metal on the gas block all wear together. As the force of the full mag pushes up it places force on these surfaces. you can see the piston rub, but there is pressure on the rails and the bolt is locking up and rotaring I think at that point too, so as the lock up lugs smooth out it will all smooth out, or break in. If you let the bolt fly on a full mag you doe'nt notice what you did.

can the lock in lugs wear out eventually..?

As the lockup lugs(not positive thats what they are called) on the bolt wear you have to keep an eye on head space. You should'nt have anything to worry about for a long time being a new rifle, but someone that knows more about that may be able to explain more about it.