Which Saiga Variant To Buy?

I don't know much about the Saiga 12, but searching around for one I have come across what appears to variants of this gun outside of just the barrel lengths. What are the pros and cons of the IZ-109 , IZ-413, and the IZ-433? And are there anymore variants that I don't know about? I just want to buy a saiga 12 and get the most adventageous one that I can get. Do they all use the same magizines? Can they all use a drum? Is one newer than the other? I know I want the 19" threaded barrel judging by what I have read so far. Is there anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance!

So far I have come across the IZ-108, IZ-109, IZ-413, IZ-433, IZ-453 ?? Anymore out there I don't know about?

What kind of sights do you want, traditional AK, or standard S12/shotgun sights?

Do you want a magwell, or standard rock and lock magazines?

Do you want to be able to use a drum? (drums don't work in magwells)

How extensively do you want to mod it, or do you want one ready to go?

IMO, an S12 with picatinny rail on the flip up dust cover and rear AK sight block (IZ412, IZ435, IZ412NM and IZ407), is the best bang for the buck in an off the shelf Saiga 12. I like those as good baselines because they leave the end user with the first choice of what FCG, pistol grip and butt stock combo they want to try. Plus you save a good amount of cash by doing the conversion yourself.

Look at Legions site for an extensive list of all the available S12's....

http://legionusainc.com/saiga-12-for-sale.html

Edited by Mullet Man

I can live without a magwell in exchange for the versatility to be able to use drums as well. I def. want a rail on top to mount an optical sight and so that means I don't care what sights come on the gun. Does that mean the IZ-412 is for me?

I want to mod it myself to make sure I get what I want, AR-15 Stock, Ergo Pistol grip, foregrip, optic sight ontop.

Edited by FloridaGun

I'd get the black onesmiley-signs136.gif

Do the magwells change anything as far as bolt closed loading? I'd trade my drum for that if it does.smiley-violent069.gif

Also do the ones with magwells run the same mags? If so do you have to mod the mags?

Edited by Big John!
I'd get the black onesmiley-signs136.gif

Do the magwells change anything as far as bolt closed loading? I'd trade my drum for that if it does.smiley-violent069.gif

Also do the ones with magwells run the same mags? If so do you have to mod the mags?

CSS sells "modified" Surefire magazines for Magwells, so it can be done. I don't know if you have to do anything besides removing the lip of the magazine.

And as for FloridaGun, I would say you should go with the IZ-412. Enjoy your Saiga.

I can live without a magwell in exchange for the versatility to be able to use drums as well. I def. want a rail on top to mount an optical sight and so that means I don't care what sights come on the gun. Does that mean the IZ-412 is for me?

I want to mod it myself to make sure I get what I want, AR-15 Stock, Ergo Pistol grip, foregrip, optic sight ontop.

Sounds like the 412NM, the 407, or 453. The 453 doesnt have the more desireable handguard and traditional AK rear sight setup. However, it is $100 cheaper and you might be able to sell the wood it comes with to fund what you want to put on it.

I personally would go with the 412NM or the 407 but i prefer the traditional AK setup.

We'll consider this an academic conversation as legion hasn't had any in stock for days...

Legion has there stock on Gun Broker

No shit, very interesting. That's why all their guns went out of stock relatively at the same time.

On the 19th I ordered (5) Iz-408's at the discounted price of $90. The next day they raised the price to $120. A few days after that all their guns & mags went out of stock. Are you sure it's Legion auctioning them off at gunbroker or are they being sold by a third party? If it's Legion, I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Nice grab on the Iz-412. You'll be happy without any mods. I personally would think about changing the stock out for a folder and customizing a rail on the underside of the gas block (not easy to do). Reference this link... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/74317-1st-s12/page-3?&do=findComment&comment=747440 But really, leave it alone and shoot the shit out of it for a while.

I hope you can find enough mags to feed the beast...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

I have the 19" threaded barrel. If I had it to do again, I would buy the 24" (or whatever the long barrel length is) version, cut it back to minimum legal length, and have it reamed for internal chokes. With the 19" version the threads start in exactly the wrong place if you want to cut it back to just over 18 inches.