Are .223s going to be the guns of choice?

Im hearing bans on certain types of ammo not to mention quantity bans and internet sales bans. But one thing im hearing is the ban on russian importation of 5.45 and 7.62 because its AK-47 ammo. That should make our 5.56/.223 AKs very popular soon huh? I purchased my two Saiga in .223s because the guy at the gun shop said this is the caliber you want and he stated the reasons i mentioned above and its looking like he might be right sooner than later..

No way to know for sure, but it's the reason that when I wanted a small-cal AK, I went for a .223 Saiga rather than 5.45. I suspected that 5.45 may not always be available. Even if nothing ever happens, there is also a far greater variety of .223 loads.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

As it stands right now... 223 would be FAR cheaper and easier to find if they banned imported ammo. There are a few (not a lot) of domestic x39, but it's 2x the cost of domestic 223 (unless Hornady/Herters... which those cheaper rounds will be history too, as they use imported steel casings).

X39 is cheaper when using imported steel case ammo, but it's WAY more expensive if using domestic brass. As for 5.45... it will make a great paperweight if they ban import ammo because that caliber pretty much relies on it.

Hopefully...as previously mentioned... domestic manufacturers would pick up making these calibers if there WERE a ban on import. HOPEFULLY.

No way to know for sure, but it's the reason that when I wanted a small-cal AK, I went for a .223 Saiga rather than 5.45. I suspected that 5.45 may not always be available. Even if nothing ever happens, there is also a far greater variety of .223 loads.

My reason as well.

However, I favor 7.62x39 for CQB stopping power and availability of ammo, including US-made/assembled/packaged (hopefully, for a long while) and the rifle itself (from true AK-47 to 1xx-series and beyond, worldwide).

But I prefer AR mags and LRBHO in AK platform; therefore, I'm into .223.

Let's think positive and do our part in fighting off any attacks on 2nd Amendment, so we can keep enjoying and exercising our Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear.

• Like 1

I got my .223 by simply stumbling upon it. I was in the gun store looking at AKs when I saw one with a funny looking shotgun stock on it for $199.

Looked at it some and and saw it was in .223. I figured "what the hell" and bought it. Had it been in 5.45 I would not have bought it. Had it been in 7.62 I may have bought it. Seeing that it was .223 a very common round to me sealed the deal. I had never heard of Saigas before that day.

I see I joined this site on March 20, 2006 so I probably bought the rifle March 19, 2006. LOL

Edited by Pyzik