After 25 years in storage, I broke out my radio/antenna gear and began putting a radio base station together. I've come to realize that the more modes of communication I have, the better I can try to keep my finger on the pulse of the nation, and in fact much of the world. Over this past year my station has morphed into a pretty good base, with the ability to go mobile within minutes, in case of SHTF. Just wondering if anyone else here is on the waves?

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 25 years in storage, I broke out my radio/antenna gear and began putting a radio base station together. I've come to realize that the more modes of communication I have, the better I can try to

Just put up an 5.5 dbd antenna 41' to the tip.. switching the LMR400 coax to Andrex Heliax LDF4-50A 1/2" coax..   Running a 40w GMRS repeater setup (with PL tones) from the house (testing for TX whe

We just invested in Boafeng UV5R+ handhelds. For under 60 bux each... Its a great BOB radio.

Comms have been on my mind as well. It wouldn't take much to get completely cut off from the outside world if the web, TV, and phones "go down". The way things are going, I can certainly see it as a reality. I am considering a CB and am considering a vehicle unit or hand held. I may get both. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

• Like 1

Nice set up.

Your tower reminds me of growing up. My dad's set up was in the basement right under my bedroom. I could hear him in the middle of the night and remember cards coming from all over the world.

Edited by NM0
  • Like 2
Comms have been on my mind as well. It wouldn't take much to get completely cut off from the outside world if the web, TV, and phones "go down". The way things are going, I can certainly see it as a reality. I am considering a CB and am considering a vehicle unit or hand held. I may get both. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

I would recomen a 10 meter mobile rig with am, fm, ssb, which you can use as a base radio running off of a 12v power supply, send PM if you want moer info.

We just invested in Boafeng UV5R+ handhelds. For under 60 bux each... Its a great BOB radio.

I just ordered the same thing last night...it's a good deal!

I have two of these in my go bag, sealed from water/air.

KB3PJK

I'm studying for test now, will take it in Feb. at the hamfest in Richmond.

Edited by AA re-cvrd
Nice set up.

Your tower reminds me of growing up. My dad's set up was in the basement right under my bedroom. I could hear him in the middle of the night and remember CQ cards coming from all over the world.

Thanks......the tower is relatively new addition, I initially put up 30 feet of 1-1/2 pipe. I bought the tower sections from a local Ham and worked on it for about 6 mos. off and on. I just picked up another 10 ft. section to add, don't really need the height for getting out, but I have a plan for a small windmill and small solar panel off the side of the tower, making it usable off the grid 000.gif or just cool as hell.

• Like 3
I'm not a Ham, but I was give a radio tower minus the base mounting section.

I made all of my own brackets, did all of my own welding. Got 4 ft. of the first section buryed in concrete. Be creative, you don't have to spend a bunch of money. With that said, I did purchase a new antenna from Copper Electronics, Maco-3, works great, covers 10 and 11 meters.

I'm willing to talk to any of you about getting started (send PM), I did it (relatively speaking), on the cheap, example...I paid $27.00 for my base radio on e-bay, have talked around the world on it cool.png

• Like 1

I've got handheld and car CB's that would take me just under mins to get running in a BO situation. I've been running CB's for well over yrs. Started in the Semi, riding with my grandpa. Never did get an official call sign. Don't have any with SSB right now. Got set up with a wholesaler on them. Just everyone of my customers is on a budget that I just can't seem to get them into the good stuff or even money for the low end.

• Like 1
Maco-3, your setup reminds me my old cushcraft ten-3. if you like to have both polarizations, have you considered to use something like the Moonracker 4 (Maco's Shooting Star 8 Element or Comet 6 Element Beam)?

If I only had the money big_smile.gif This is the poor mans bipolar beam laugh.png

Kudos to all the Ham Operators and the fantastic hobby. For the rest looking in just realize that any drone (and satellite for sure) will home right in on that – same same with a cell phone. The fact you even have the battery installed will lite you up like a neon sign. Just sayin'. :)

I was wondering what a good lightening bolt would do to that tower. What would be the proper way of grounding to keep it out of the house, or could it be done. We get big ass bolts dancing all around our house during the good storms. Last one dropped a 40ft pine tree up on the hill, about 100 feet from the house, and lite up the sky like a GIANT flash bulb. :)

The tower is grounded, and lightning arrestors are installed on the feedline, if it's done correctly.

I've worked everything from maintenance/installation to design on high power radios/comm stations for the last 30 plus years. That's how we do it.

• Like 1

As Patriot mentioned "tower grounded". a solid grounding system is needed for lightning protection. it utilized mulitple grounding points with equal ground potential. quality lightning arrestors on all incoming feedlines is a must.

Edited by AE86FL
  • Like 1
The tower is grounded, and lightning arrestors are installed on the feedline, if it's done correctly.

I've worked everything from maintenance/installation to design on high power radios/comm stations for the last 30 plus years. That's how we do it.

I looked you up on QRZ......impressive.

Unless someone has money running out of their but, most people start into this very small, but man it doesn't take long for it morph, much of it comes through trading and older operators helping younger ones come along.

ARRL specs. for tower grounding is a seperate 8ft copper clad rod for each leg of the tower, each rod located 1ft from the tower leg and bonded with copper strap. I do have grounding in place, but it isn't ARRL spec., so I'm living on the edge right now, but it is winter and I should be ok till March. I'm hoping to obtain the supplies needed at the Feb. Hamfest in Richmond, it's HUGE. All things in time, I try to do something every day to be prepared for various scenarios, I do the best I can with what I have at the time, and always leaving the option to upgrade. Like I said earlier in the post....I started with 30 ft. of 1-1/2 galvenized pipe strapped to house, the tower is a huge upgrade for me.

• Like 1