Buckshot or slugs?

Newbie here, and I've read and read..just get more confused. Waiting for my Saiga .410 to come. It's just the stock one new in box by Izhmash. It's going to be dual purpose..copperheads and home defense. I realize the 12ga would be better suited for home defense but I'm a lot more comfortable with the .410. With that being said...for home defense purposes which should I use..00 buck or slugs? Also I know you guys have a lot of experience with these guns, do the 2 3/4 or 3" seem to cycle better?

At some point when funds allow, I would love to also have some help with doing some conversions on it.

Thanks!

I was home for Christmas and my nephew shot some of these with his Judge;

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

Seemed impressive on a paper target but I don't know that means it's a good SD round. I imagine it might get a perp's attention.

I saw those too. They look impressive, just wasn't sure if they carried the strongest punch for defense. Guess if I'm going to have a .410, I'm at least trying to find out which to pick for the best stopping power.

I strongly recommend the winchester pdx if your going to be using the factory magazine. That's what I keep in mine, definatly best payload per trigger pull, in my opinion. 3" 000 federal handgun loads would be my second choice for home defense. They work in sgm mags.

I don't agree that the 12 ga is better for home defense. If you want to shoot 000 1000 fps, you can to it with a lighter handier 410 and have less recoil. Just my opinion. 410s are good guns for home defense but very under rated/ controversial. Back in the day I guess they didn't have any good defense loads, but now they do! 5 triple ought buck pellets is nothing to sneeze at! And those pdx 410s are just nasty! 4 90 grain discs plus 16 bbs, that's a lot of metal!

750 fps is plenty of punch I think. Especially since that's 750 is based on a 3" barrel (im pretty sure) not 19/21.

I strongly recommend the winchester pdx if your going to be using the factory magazine. That's what I keep in mine, definatly best payload per trigger pull, in my opinion. 3" 000 federal handgun loads would be my second choice for home defense. They work in sgm mags.

I don't agree that the 12 ga is better for home defense. If you want to shoot 000 1000 fps, you can to it with a lighter handier 410 and have less recoil. Just my opinion. 410s are good guns for home defense but very under rated/ controversial. Back in the day I guess they didn't have any good defense loads, but now they do! 5 triple ought buck pellets is nothing to sneeze at! And those pdx 410s are just nasty! 4 90 grain discs plus 16 bbs, that's a lot of metal!

750 fps is plenty of punch I think. Especially since that's 750 is based on a 3" barrel (im pretty sure) not 19/21.

After hearing you and Squishy speak of the PDX, think that's what I'll get. Just got through reading a couple of websites discussing and comparing the ballistics of the .410, and actually they were pretty good. Think I'll get some of the slugs they were talking about as well. Basically everything you said about a .410 they backed up your words. I'll attach the links if you want to look at them. Now if I can just find a couple more factory 4rd mags.

Thank you for all the input from you guys!

I've been shooting the Gold Bear and Silver Bear slug. I guess I get a bad one about every 30rds. But I find that to be the best bang for the buck for indoor target shooting. In no way would I use it for home defense because of its inconsistency. Breneke makes a really good rifled slug and the Winchester rifled slug have been flawless. The PDX is a nasty round and that's what I have loaded in my home defense mag. The Federal 000 buck is awesome too. I tend to stick with the 3" stuff but haven't had any real issues with 2 3/4. I think you can get 4rd mags that will run 2 1/2 shells but $45 a mag and only 4rds.

I've been shooting the Gold Bear and Silver Bear slug. I guess I get a bad one about every 30rds. But I find that to be the best bang for the buck for indoor target shooting. In no way would I use it for home defense because of its inconsistency. Breneke makes a really good rifled slug and the Winchester rifled slug have been flawless. The PDX is a nasty round and that's what I have loaded in my home defense mag. The Federal 000 buck is awesome too. I tend to stick with the 3" stuff but haven't had any real issues with 2 3/4. I think you can get 4rd mags that will run 2 1/2 shells but $45 a mag and only 4rds.

I'll take a look at the Winchester slug and the Breneke as well. Yea, $45 for a 4rd mag stinks.

PDX 3" is the factory load I like best. Winchster 3" isecond best factory load. My favorite load is my personal load 3" buck shot. Look at my old range report with target photos to see my results.

Thread named:

Reloading supplies arrived!

Edited by liberty -r- death
PDX 3" is the factory load I like best. Winchster 3" isecond best factory load. My favorite load is my personal load 3" buck shot. Look at my old range report with target photos to see my results.

Thread named:

Reloading supplies arrived!

Glad to hear everyone seems to be in agreement with the PDX. I'll check out your thread also. Thanks!