need ideas on "service" pistol

I don't believe in the one stop shot. Never have. I've seen too many reports, heard too many stories of a cracked up psyco taking 20+ rounds of 9mm, 38 Special, 45ACP, and other such fun rounds to several vital areas of the body to ever believe that a single shot from a handgun could take a bad guy down if he is intent on doing me harm.

And catsworld, yeah she is beautiful, sans those front serations of the slide. Those have just never looked right to me (even on my Kimber).

Oh, and I want those grips.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i went to the gunshop today and checked out the glock and the xd and the 1911(again :)) the xd just wasnt my "Thang" and had the same price tag as the glock 23, the glock felt nice ive held several shot a 9mm and didn't like em until i felt that one, it was damn nice and pointed good, i liked the bright ass white sights too. i think i'm going to pick it up just cuz i like it. then i can toss up between the 1911 and the s12 whichever needs to come first....

but now a question from a non glock owner, are they as good as everyone says?...reliability wise and longevity wise?

From a non-glock owner, YES: they are that good. Glocks are the pistol equivalent of an AK. Most of my friends that own pistol, own a glock. I don't like them and have done my best to find fault in them, and EVERYONE I talk to say they are bulletproof. You can run them over with a tank, cryrogenically freeze them, throw them in burning oil, and they'll still be fine. I think they even shoot reliably underwater, though I'd not suggest it. Hell, you don't even have to clean it. Most ranges rent glocks more than any other gun because they are 1) SO reliable, 2) they don't need to be cleaned. I've shot glocks that have been used everyday for 3 years at the range, which is some heavy shooting, and they weren't once cleaned and were reliable and accurate. LEOs favor glocks a lot too for the same reasons, and their lower cost and their capacity. As much as I dislike them, they're a helluva a gun.

Also, the after-market capabilities of them are rediculous, probably only the 1911 has more options. That and any gunsmith can do the work, even most people with a bit of mechanical inclination can. Great buy, as much as I dislike them.

Wolverine:

Link I'm in love with this thing (in 40S&W). Now I just need ~$800 to drop on my Saint Browning of Blessed Whoopass addiction :wub: I know it isn't 45ACP (or even JMB's original design), but I'm betting 40S&W in a steel framed gun would be much tamer and still have quite a bit of punch to it.

Rusty,

That is a nice piece indeed. A 40S&W with a ambi safety in the classic Browning configuration. :super::super: But man....that price tag. :cryss: Of course I thought shelling out about $320-$350 for my 9mm many years ago was steep.

I wouldn't mind trying that 40S&W out for a while. Of course if I did, I'd probably be $800+ poorer than today. :rolleyes:

Wolverine

And there in lies the problem. I need a job to feed my addiction.

I dicked around with the FN 5.7mm for a while back in 02 while stop lossed with the military. I am saving my pennies for one curently (after the next S-12 HEHEH!!!)

All I can say is that is MOTHERFUCKING TERRIFYING. even with the standard ball, or HP rounds, the velocity is huge, the trajectory is flat, and the damn thing fires like a 22 cal taget pistol on crack. I got to where I could empty the mag in around 3 seconds flat. it basically is a hand held bullet hose. the closest thing to a machine pistol you can get w/o an autosear. the AP rounds will defeat IIIA level shit w/ ease.

I'm truely surprised it has not been banned yet. it's that fuckin cool.

when FN starts inporting the P90c (civvie version w/ 16"bbl) i may have to just get both at once, and a shitload of ammo w/ it.

If you can get the 5.7mm and get auth to carry her, do it. the ballistics are very good, terminal shock and KE dump are very good as well...I know the stats are online somewhere when they did the DOD tests into ballistics gel at Ft. Benning..they pretty much prove the case.

Anyway, whatever you carry, practice w/it like your life depends on it..It may. Good luck!

http://fivesevenforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480

Here is a list of US agencies using th p90 or FiveseveN. You could contact them to see what they think. There are only a few real world shootings with the handgun, but was favorable. There was an incident a while back with the Duluth, GA where a ricochet caught another officer in the upper leg/butt region. For a service pistol, I would stick with a 9/40/45 of your choice. Don't be cheap, get a good firearm like a Glock, Sig, HK, Springfield. This is your life you are protecting.

Find a large gun store and handle everything and see what fits.

The Glock is good, but remember that Glock is engaging in "Ballistic fingerprinting"... before laws are passed requiring this, glock decided to just go ahead and do it. so they take the "fingerprint" of each gun and store it, so that if anyone ever wants to look it up, they can.

This is very bad, since not even real fingerprints are unique (Its true!), the ballistic "fingerprint" is very un-unique. Might tell you the model of gun, but not the actual gun...

So, I consider this cowtowing to gun control, and won't buy Glock products.

The XD is a good thing to check out, I don't think it matters that it was made in croatia, we're all capitalists, right?

But since you didn't like the XD, you might want to check out the CZ.

The CZ company are JMB converts, and copiers. They have made good solid improvements and make very fine postols with good quality, good function and high reliability. Not 1911 clones, but definately 1911 type. They support most of the calibers you're considering.

I used to be a big fan of the 45, but now I am more concerned about shot placement.

I seem to remember when I got the XD I got an empty casing with it...no bullet. Wonder where that went? :unsure:

Supposedly Kimber does something similar. The Kimber 1911s are supposed to come with the brass from a test fired round (unless you live in NY or MD).

I seem to remember when I got the XD I got an empty casing with it...no bullet. Wonder where that went? :unsure:

Supposedly Kimber does something similar. The Kimber 1911s are supposed to come with the brass from a test fired round (unless you live in NY or MD).

In addition I see my bersa 380 has an empty casing in the box as well. Probably at the ATF somewhere...although a little filing to the bore will fuck that up. O.K. I'm taking off my tinfoil hat now... :smoke:

some states require the manufacture to provided a fired-shell. I think some manufactures just decided to include it with all their guns,r egardless of where its going.

that's correct. Notreasons info on the other hand is wrong once again.

caspian

• 2 months later...

Hey just for the heck CDNN still have browning high power on

9 MM SA, SA/DA and DA only for about 250 to 300 look it up

and think they still have some compact all made in Belgium

Fabrique Nationale of Belgium, if that is not a good gun, nothing else

is a good gun.

It's probably been said already. I didn't read through this whole thing, so I don't know. Whatever you do eventually, or have already decided on, my advice on service pistols is this:

Shot Placement Shot Placement Shot Placement.

Learn what parts of the body you have to hit to disable your target and practice until you can hit them while "point shooting". You're best bets are the brain and the liver. Both are bigger than the heart, and easier to hit than the spinal column.

Also, get a budy to bump-fire an AK while yelling: "Wooooo Yeah! Get some! Get some! etc, next to you at the range while you're shooting. If you can hit the appropriate areas on a silhouette target with that kind of racket going on and without lining up the sights. You're doing good. ;)

Ok, so I'm not completely serious about that last part, but I think you get the idea. Thanks for listening.

Can't believe this really....but the pistol that keeps coming to mind, and in, and out of my life are those Baby Eagle's in .40s&w

They feel solid as hell. And I can hit shit with em. Almost better than with all the pistols I own!

Seen a few wierdos in Iraq carrying them. No idea how they brought em there , and home....probably Generals staff officers are something...lol

. . .Personally, if I am forced to draw and shoot, I'd rather them fall from the force of impact after getting smacked with a couple 160+ grain less than high velocity can's-o-whoopass

Ok, don't mean to start a big debate in the middle of a recomendation thread, but this hollywood "knock down" myth has to die.

From the FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Goddard amply proves the fallacy of "knock-down power" by calculating the heights (and resultant velocities) from which a one pound weight and a ten pound weight must be dropped to equal the momentum of 9mm and .45ACP projectiles at muzzle velocities, respectively. The results are revealing. In order to equal the impact of a 9mm bullet at its muzzle velocity, a one pound weight must be dropped from a height of 5.96 feet, achieving a velocity of 19.6 fps. . .

. . . techno babble. . .

. . . A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. If it had the energy to do so, then equal energy would be applied against the shooter and he too would be knocked down. This is simple physics, and has been known for hundreds of years . . .

Edited by M15A4spr
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

For all those interested in a .40 Hi-power, check out Reeds Ammunition research. If they have any left they were going for $400 for either the standard or the new SFS system. Don't know too much about the SFS, but it sounds silly to me. By the way these are FN not Browning but really, what's the differance? They are both made in the same factory I believe.

Here's the link: http://www.reedsammo.com/ Just go to the online store page and look under pistols.

Grim

Well,if armor might be encountered the old CZ52 is up for the fight!It WILL punch through a level II A vest and destroy a watermellon on the other side!I have shot THROUGH steel doors with the military fmj rounds that a .357mag with fmj Fiochi loads will ONLY dent!You can shoot hot Magsafe ammo in it and tear something up like a rifle round would and now Wold makes in their Gold,brass cased line a hollowpoint that recoils softer than the military fmj round but it quite the fight stopper!Think of it as "the pistol that shoots a sub-machine gun round of .30 caliber!"Plus you can get the gun for $150!Another route to look at,or buy it as a spare! B)

• 4 weeks later...
. . .Personally, if I am forced to draw and shoot, I'd rather them fall from the force of impact after getting smacked with a couple 160+ grain less than high velocity can's-o-whoopass

Ok, don't mean to start a big debate in the middle of a recomendation thread, but this hollywood "knock down" myth has to die.

From the FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Goddard amply proves the fallacy of "knock-down power" by calculating the heights (and resultant velocities) from which a one pound weight and a ten pound weight must be dropped to equal the momentum of 9mm and .45ACP projectiles at muzzle velocities, respectively. The results are revealing. In order to equal the impact of a 9mm bullet at its muzzle velocity, a one pound weight must be dropped from a height of 5.96 feet, achieving a velocity of 19.6 fps. . .

. . . techno babble. . .

. . . A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. If it had the energy to do so, then equal energy would be applied against the shooter and he too would be knocked down. This is simple physics, and has been known for hundreds of years . . .

No duh. If you'll look up a couple of posts you notice I said I don't believe in the one shot stop. But one does have to admit that a slow(er) heavy bullet with a big cross section is gonna dump a nice wad of energy on impact. Doesn't matter what the goblin's wearing, he's gonna feel it.

And while he's wondering what hit him, I'll be headed for the shotgun/rifle that'll put his ass on the ground.

Oh yeah, Jon (if you're still here), what did you end up with?

i have to get a new handgun(not really new but new to me) and i cant carry the 45. the boss wont let us. i went looking around for something in maybe .40 cal but none of the guns looked or felt good to me. i like the 1911 style pistol more than the "glock" types but i might have to go with something plastic. any pics suggestions i got a new job a while back and they are about to put me on the armored trucks.

i'm thinking maybe a compact 1911 in .40s&w

but i'm open to sugjestions.

thanks

jon

I know ill get slammed in here for this , but Daewoo makes a sweet pistol 9mm or 40 cal. it has a tripple action. it is a single and double action with a decocker all in one. check them out.