Brass or Steel or Who cares its an Saiga?

My local (indoor) range won't allow anything steel - found that out after I bought a case of WPA a few weeks ago, doh!

Now I am stuck paying almost 1$/bullet for what brass I can find locally. I guess I won't be practicing with my saiga much until it is warmer outside!

If the cost is similar, brass IMO. That way you can stock pile the brass. Someday if imports get restricted or expensive, you will be set for reloading.

For the time being, though steel is enough cheaper.

I know people have set up dies to reload the steel and made it work. I also saw an article about guys who made an AK run reloaded with black powder, so you can continue to run your saiga as you serve Lord Humongous.

If the cost is similar, brass IMO. That way you can stock pile the brass. Someday if imports get restricted or expensive, you will be set for reloading.

For the time being, though steel is enough cheaper.

I know people have set up dies to reload the steel and made it work. I also saw an article about guys who made an AK run reloaded with black powder, so you can continue to run your saiga as you serve Lord Humongous.

Seriously, how does one even find the brass after shooting? My rifle is very good and hiding that shit. That and chunking it at innocent bystanders.

I shoot in places that are mostly hard packed earth. I might lose a few cases, but a couple of minutes walking around gives me more than I shot every time. I don't worry if I lose a few and come out ahead. Snow is the best, because people will leave all their revolver brass in a neat pile at their feet that is just too cold for their fingers to pick up. I got about 150 .38spl like that a couple weeks ago.

I always manage to take home way more trash than I make too, because I want the public ranges to stay public.

That said, I always see a bunch of steel, but I don't know if I have ever seen brass 7.62x39 at the range. Plenty of .223 though.

• Like 1
Seriously, how does one even find the brass after shooting? My rifle is very good and hiding that shit. That and chunking it at innocent bystanders.

When I use brass I have a pool cleaning net that I made into a brass catcher for the range, sure some folks look at me funny...but fuck their opinion, I am doing what I have to on the cheap(I could care less what they think)! When on non range areas, I know just about where the brass will land as I am aware how far it throws the spent casing and I have a good idea where to look. I lose only 1-2 per 20 that I can't find. In all reality I mostly only shoot the reloaded brass at the range, for all other places mostly steel.