Today I Experienced My First Squib..Lucky..

So today I was shooting at my range and I got a squib for the first time. I am shooting Tulammo 7.62x39. I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds with nothing more than a delayed round. I was lucky enough to have it happen on my last round. Has anybody ever experienced anything like this will Tulammo?

Never had a squib load in any gun, dont really know what to say except be careful, were your eyepro's and maybe limit your rapid firing???

Or you could get some digital scales and weigh each roundunsure.png thats about all you can do. It can happen even with quality ammo, though the chances are less.

I can't say I've ever run across a squib load in x39 of any manufactured round. Ever.

In my VZ52's I've had them, but with 60 year old ammo that's been kicked around from country to country and not stored properly.... I can understand it.

• Like 1
So today I was shooting at my range and I got a squib for the first time. I am shooting Tulammo 7.62x39. I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds with nothing more than a delayed round. I was lucky enough to have it happen on my last round. Has anybody ever experienced anything like this will Tulammo?

I've shot a couple thousand rounds of Tulammo last year and I didn't even have a hang/delay fire in the batch. Squib rounds kind of scare me and combined with the rarity of ammo around here now I don't rapid fire at all anymore.

Was it old surplus Tula or new?

Those odds don't sound bad to me. I am sure someone will rapidly correct my vague recollections here, but I am pretty sure the military doesn't even ask for failure rates lower than something like 1/20,000. While my number may be way off, I don't think any company can guarantee much better than 1/30k.

Either way right now is either the the stupidest time to stock up on common caliber ammo or the smartest, and I am undecided which. If you shoot that much, you might want to order a pallet right now before people panic. I don't expect panic prices to stick, but cost creeps up on everything, so it is hard to loose on relatively new non-corrosive ammo. Even if you get gouged at the moment, I think gradually rising cost of components will eventually make stockpiling cheap ammo pay.

. Squib rounds kind of scare me and combined with the rarity of ammo around here now I don't rapid fire at all anymore.

you don't need to be scared of "squibs", even when rapid firing or in full auto, we refereed to as "pop-no-kick" when I was in the Army. like the name implies it will just give a "pop" sound, and you won't feel any recoil, also in all cases the bolt will not cycle or not fully cycle, as there isn't the pressure to do that. if that happens don't go hand charging a new round into the chamber and then shoot, because that is when you will blow up the barrel.

I've had quite a few "pop-no-kick", at the qualification range, along with a lot of other soldiers, it was a real bad lot. but as long as you know what to watch out for it's not a big issue. it's only a big issue if you don't know and you merrily just hand chamber a new round and squeeze the trigger.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

Look at it like this. It didnt turn out bad for you.

Now you know what to expect, what it is like. Hopefully you can identify it if it ever happens again and prevent something bad. I hope if it ever happens to me I know it happened before I go click again.

. Squib rounds kind of scare me and combined with the rarity of ammo around here now I don't rapid fire at all anymore.

you don't need to be scared of "squibs", even when rapid firing or in full auto, we refereed to as "pop-no-kick" when I was in the Army. like the name implies it will just give a "pop" sound, and you won't feel any recoil, also in all cases the bolt will not cycle or not fully cycle, as there isn't the pressure to do that. if that happens don't go hand charging a new round into the chamber and then shoot, because that is when you will blow up the barrel.

I've had quite a few "pop-no-kick", at the qualification range, along with a lot of other soldiers, it was a real bad lot. but as long as you know what to watch out for it's not a big issue. it's only a big issue if you don't know and you merrily just hand chamber a new round and squeeze the trigger.

If that is true then its no big deal at all. Good advice.

Thanks for the info

That's something to consider, mr. hopkins.

I had a squib fire once with some ratty looking old .38s & .357 that had been on a boat for a few years that I was using up in my uncle's S&W .357. It had a "handy" feature to prevent firing another round into an obstructing bullet-- The cartridge fired soft, and pushed the bullet just enough so that it was half way between cylendar and barrel, thus preventing me from firing twice double action, or tipping the cylinder out to clear the round. I had to make an aluminum rod to push the bullet back into the cartridge before I could eject it. IIRC I used a big vise and some wood scraps for padding to push the rod in slowly.

We have had lots of .22lr duds and soft fires from 10/22s on the boat (likely from moisture on old ammo), so I have gotten a keen sense of " that one didn't feel right- better check" So far no squib loads sticking in the barrel though, despite probably hundreds of weak loads. Seeing an impact or hearing the bullet zip in the air is a good sign the bullet made it out of the pipe.

A squib in 30k rounds doesn't give you one in 30k odds of a squib. One in any number doesn't give you odds until the even starts repeating. Anyway... There's no way a squib in a gas operated rifle will cycle a fresh round. To do potential damage to the rifle you would have to fire the rifle, get a squib, pull the trigger on empty, rack the bolt for a new round, and fire again. That failure to cycle should give you ample time for your noggin to comprehend the funky sound of the squib that caused it before you tap, rack, bang it.