autoplug runs without adjustment?

You're supposed to adjust it until it runs just enough on the low brass stuff... after that, it bleeds off the rest of the pressure from higher power loads. Just cause its working now doesn't mean that it won't over gas on high brass... you still need to do your initial adjustment. If you don't have the instructions any longer I'm sure you can get them from Tac47's site.

I would back down until it doesn't run, then increase untill reliability is acheived, then add a half turn as the instructions say. This gets you optimum. Then give it blue or purple locktite.

American Capitalist,

Run your gun with the factory gas regulator and a CSS puc or factory puc. If it runs Winchester Universal 100%, you do not need anything but carefully reducing friction. Drilling your ports will make it cycle, but your gas system will gunk up and loose reliability with fewer shots. Also, you run the risk of over gassing your gun with too much impulse. I choose to make mine more efficient than to flood it with more gas. There are many on this forum that would disagree with me. Up to you. If it runs Universal with your current setup, it must be pretty close to just right.

Win Universal with no adjustments? Mine barely runs with the screw halfway bottomed out. I think I need to drill my ports.

Do it. I drilled mine along with a few other mods and it runs everything. I took my time with it, making sure I test fired after each mod. In the end I drilled one extra port and it solved the problem. It came with 3 ports so now I am at 4.

American Capitalist,

Run your gun with the factory gas regulator and a CSS puc or factory puc. If it runs Winchester Universal 100%, you do not need anything but carefully reducing friction. Drilling your ports will make it cycle, but your gas system will gunk up and loose reliability with fewer shots. Also, you run the risk of over gassing your gun with too much impulse. I choose to make mine more efficient than to flood it with more gas. There are many on this forum that would disagree with me. Up to you. If it runs Universal with your current setup, it must be pretty close to just right.

I respectfully disagree. Drilling an extra port rather than enlarging your ports will not gunck up anything. If you want your gun to run with factory equipment then sometimes you have to drill. By adding an extra port you are making you gun more efficient. Many S-12s have 4 ports.

Edited by redfish28

Polish the rails by hand with 800 grit paper. Make sure gas block is not canted slightly out of alignment, and make sure all ports are properly exposed and cleanly cut. Use a CSS puc to improve gas efficiency. Proper profiling and polishing the bolt, carrier, and hammer then replacing the recoil guide rod with a JT recoil guide rod to remove slop will both help to improve cycling efficiency. After all of this is done, I would consider port work if still needed. That's just me though.

Full disclosure:

My gun is a 2011 with 4 ports from the factory, and it ran pretty well out of the box. It runs anything I feed it, even 10 year old bulk bird shot with rusted up hulls.